Published:  Mar 20, 2017DOI: 10.7324/JABB.2017.50213
The copper-containing metalloprotein tyrosinase catalyzes the oxidation of tyrosine in particular L-DOPA to L-Dopaquinone that generates brown pigments in the wounded tissues. The industrial demand for tyrosinase enzyme is increasing as they have a wide range of applications in the field of environmental, food, medicine, paper, pulp and textile industry. In the present investigation, tyrosinase was extracted from various plant sources and Dioscorea alata having a maximum enzyme activity was chosen. The different parts of plant material were taken for callus development and their enzyme activities were estimated. The enzyme activities of all calli were high comparing to the enzyme extracted from natural tuber tissue of D. alata making in-vitro culture as an alternative way for tyrosinase production. It is also evident that 2,4-D has the maximum callus development comparing to other plant growth regulators making it a perfect candidate for proceeding further with media optimization in future.
Gopal Samy B, Jegatheesan K, Francina CI. In-Vitro Propagation of Dioscorea alata for Tyrosinase Production. J App Biol Biotech. 2017; 5 (02): 085-088. DOI: 10.7324/JABB.2017.50213
1. Pandey SK. Potato and tuber crops. In:Vegetable science (Vegetable tuber and spice crops) Shimla: Central Potato Research Institute; 2007.
2. Ayensu ES. Anatomy of the monocotyledons VI Dioscoreales. Oxford: Oxford Press; 1972, p. 182.
3. Hann SK. Yams. Dioscorea spp. (Dioscoreaceae). In: Smartt J, Simmonds NW, editors. Evolution of crop plants, UK Longman Scientific and Technical; 1995, p. 112.
4. Edison S, Unnikrishnan M, Vimala B, Santha Pillai V, Sheela MN, Sreekumari MT, Abraham K. Biodiversity of Tropical Tuber Crops in India. NBA Scientific Bulletin. 2006; 7:60.
5. Tor M, Twyford CT, Funes I, Boccon-Gibod J, Ainsworth CC, Mantell SH. Isolation and culture of protoplasts from immature leaves and cell suspension of Dioscorea yams: Tools for transient gene expression studies. Plant Cell, Tissue and Organ Culture. 1998; 53:113-125.
6. Craufurd PQ, Battey NH, Ile EI, Asedu R. Phases of dormancy in yam tubers (Dioscorea rotundata). Annals of Botany. 2006; 97:497-504.
7. Saleil V, Degras L, Jonard R. Obtention de plantes indemmes de virus de la mosaique de l’igname americaine Dioscorea trifida L. Agronomie. 1990; 10:605-615.
8. Ng SYC. Micropropagation of white yam (Dioscorea rotundata Poir) In: Bajaj YPS, editor. Biotechnology in agriculture forestry, Berlin: Springer; 1992, p. 135-159.
9. Mitchell SA, Ahmed MH. Morphological changes of Dioscorea trifida L.cv. Short Neck Yampie and Dioscorea cayenensis Lam cv. round leaf yellow yam linked to the number and size of harvested tubers. The Journal of Horticultural Science and Biotechnology. 1999; 74:531-539.
10. Vaillant V, Bade P, Constant C. Photoperiod affects the growth and development of yam plantlets obtained by in vitro propagation. Biologia Plantarum. 2005; 49:355-359.
11. Barz W, Ellis BE. Plant cell cultures and their biotechnological potential. Berichte der Deutschen Botanischen Gesellschaft. 1981; 94:1-26.
12. Thorpe TA. Organogenesis in vitro: structural, physiological and biochemical aspects. International Review of Cytology. 1980; 11:71-112
13. Wagley LM, Gladfelter HJ, Phillips GC. De novo shoot organogenesis of Pinus eldarica Medw. In vitro. II. Macro-and micro-photographic evidence of de novo regeneration. Plant Cell Reports. 1987; 6:167-171
14. Murashige T, Skoog F. A revised medium for rapid growth and bioassays with tobacco tissue culture. Physiologia Plantarum. 1962; 15:473-497.
15. Jean M, Cappadocia M. In vitro tuberization in Dioscorea alata L. ‘Brazo fuerte’ and ‘Florido’ and D. abyssinica Hoch. Plant Cell, Tissue and Organ Culture. 1991; 26:147-152.
16. Jova MC, Kosky RG, Cuellar EE. Effect of liquid media culture systems on yam plant growth (Dioscorea alata L.’Pacala Duclos’). Biotechnology, Agronomy, Society and Environment. 2011; 15:515-521.
17. Borges M, Ceiro W, Meneses S, Aguilera N, Vazquez J, infante Z, Fonseca M. (2004) Regeneration and multiplication of Dioscorea alata germplasm maintained in vitro. Plant Cell, Tissue and Organ Culture. 2004; 76:87-90.
18. Forsyth C, Van SJ. An improved method of in vitro propagation of Dioscorea bulbifera. Plant Cell, Tissue and Organ Culture. 1982; 1:275-281.
19. Alizadeh S, Mantell SH, Viana AM. In vitro shoot culture and microtuber induction in the steroid yam Dioscorea composita Hemsl. Plant Cell, Tissue and Organ Culture. 1998; 53:107-112.
20. Thomas P, Ravindra MB. Effects of pruning or removal of in vitro formed roots on ex vitro regeneration and growth in micropropagated grapes. Plant Cell, Tissue and Organ Culture. 1997; 51:177-180.
21. Waez VJ. The effect of activated charcoal on in vitro propagation of eastern European orchids. Acta Horticulturae. 1987; 1:131-138.
139 Absract views 198 PDF Downloads 337 Total views
In vitro plant regeneration in Capsicum chinense Jacq. (Naga Chili)Rahul P. Raj,V. D. Glint,K. Nirmal Babu
Effect of growth regulators on callus morphology of Rice anther culturecAvinash Sharma, Dalpat Lal and Monoj Sutradhar
Effect of growth hormones in induction of callus, antioxidants, and antibacterial activity in Nerium odorumAvinash Prakasha, S Umesha
Rapid in vitro adventitious rooting and proliferation by leaf and nodal cultures of Momordica cymbalaria Fenzl.Chaitanya Gopu, Chandra Shekar Chakilam, Pavani Chirumamilla, Suvarchala Vankudoth, Shasthree Taduri
Callus induction, Indirect Organogenesis and Plantlet Regeneration from different explants of Vernonia anthelmintica (L.) WilldMaya Rajan, Shahena Soororbhavan, Vinaya Chandran, Linu Mathew
Optimization of culture variables for efficient callus induction and rapid plant regeneration in zinc rich rice (Oryza sativa L.) cv. “Chittimuthyalu”Swapan Kumar Tripathy
Effect of nutrient media enhanced with plant-growth regulators on indirect somatic embryogenesis induction for the tissue culture of Digitalis purpureaMohammed Ahmed Al-Oqab, Salim Zaid, Youssef Al-Ammouri
Effect of nutrient media enhanced with plant growth regulators on genetic stability in sub-cultures of Digitalis purpurea callusMohammed Ahmed AL-Oqab, Salim Zaid, Youssef Al-Ammouri, Shawqi H. Alawdi