In the present study, a new species, Thelohanellus muscularis n. sp. infecting head muscles of Labeo rohita (Family Cyprinidae) from Ranjit Sagar Wetland, Punjab, India has been described on the basis of its morphology, histopathology and molecular analyses. The plasmodia were visible with the naked eye in the head muscles (opercular region) as round whitish bodies. The size of plasmodia ranged 0.6-0.8 mm each containing about 80-100 myxospores. The myxospores were pyriform in shape, blunt at the anterior end measuring 9.20 ± 0.28 µm × 4.0 ± 0.15 µm in size. Polar capsule was elongately pyriform measuring 5.85 ± 0.08 µm × 3.10 ± 0.11 µm in size. The amplified 18S rDNA product was 900 bp (accession number KT387308). The phylogenetic analysis indicated 99% homogeneity with three other thelohanelloid species recorded from freshwater fishes in India, i.e., T. filli (KR340464) infecting gills of Labeo rohita, T. sp. RA (KR423868) infecting gills of Catla catla and T. jiroveci (KJ476885) infecting gills of Labeo rohita. The prevalence of infection was 25%. The plasmodia and numerous myxospores were recorded in intermuscular fibrillar space in histological sections. Phylogenetic analyses elucidated relationship of the newly described Thelohanellus muscularis to other Thelohanellus species and supported its position as an independent species.
Kaur H, Gupta A. Morphological, histopathological and molecular characterization of Thelohanellus muscularis n. sp. (Cnidaria: Myxosporea) infecting head muscles of Labeo rohita from Ranjit sagar wetland, Punjab (India). J App Biol Biotech. 2017; 5 (01): 021-028. DOI: 10.7324/JABB.2017.50104
1. Kudo R. A taxonomic consideration of myxosporidia. Transactions of the American Microscopical Society. 1933; 52:195-216.
2. Zhang JY, Gu ZM, Kalavati C, Eiras JC, Liu Y, Guo QY, Molnár K. A synopsis of the species of Thelohanellus Kudo, 1933 (Myxozoa: Myxosporea: Bivalvulida). Systematic Parasitology. 2013; 86: 235-56.
3. Lom J, Dyková I. Myxozoan genera: definition and notes on taxonomy, life-cycle terminology and pathogenic species. Folia Parasitologica. 2006; 53:1-36.
4. Hsieh SR, Xiao C. Discovery of a myxosporidean with four valves in a freshwater fish and discussion of its taxonomic position. Asian Fishery Science. 1993; 6:239-243.
5. Akhmerov AK. Myxosporidia of fishes from the Amur River basin. Rybn. Khoz. Venutr. Vodoemov Latv. SSR. 1960; 5:240-307.
6. Akhmerov AK. Ways of the origin of myxosporidian species of the genus Thelohanellus Kudo from Amur wild carp. Doklady Akademii Nauk SSSR. 1955; 105:1129-1132.
7. Egusa S. The order multivalvulida Shulman, 1959 (Myxozoa: Myxosporea): a review. Fish Pathology. 1986; 21:261-274.
8. Zhang JY, Gu ZM, Kalavati C, Eiras JC, Liu Y, Guo QY, Molnár K. A synopsis of the species of Thelohanellus Kudo, 1933 (Myxozoa: Myxosporea: Bivalvulida). Systematic Parasitology. 2013; 86:235-256.
9. Basu S, Haldar DP. Thelohanellus bifurcata n. sp. a new species of the genus Thelohanellus from hybrid carps and checklist of the species of the genus described from Indian fishes. Proceedings of Zoological Society of Calcutta. 1999; 52(1):115-124.
10. Kaur H, Dar SA, Singh R. One new and three already known myxosporean parasites of Indian major carps in Punjab (India). Species. 2013b; 4:17-24.
11. Wang G, Yao W, Gong X, Wang J, Nie P. Seasonal fluctuation of Myxobolus gibelioi (myxosporea) plasmodia in the gills of the farmed allogynogenetic gibel carp in China. Chinese Journal of Oceanology and Limnology. 2003; 21(2):149-153.
12. Liyanage YS, Yokoyama H, Wakabayashi H. Evaluation of vector-control strategy of haemorrhagic thelohanellosis in carp, caused by Thelohanellus hovorkai (Myxozoa). Diseases of Aquatic Organisms, Vol. 55, No. 1, Jun. 2003, p. 31-35.
13. Molnár K. Biology and histopathology of Thelohanellus nikolskii Akhmerov,1955 (Myxosporea, Myxozoa), a protozoan parasite of the common carp (Cyprinus carpio). Zeitschrift für Parasitenkunde. 1982; 68:269-277.
14. Kaur H, Katoch A. Gill disease caused by Thelohanellus bifurcata Basu and Haldar, 1999 a pathogenic myxozoan parasite in cultured Indian carp, Labeo rohita (Hamilton, 1822) in Punjab, India. Journal of Animal Health and Production. 2014; 2(2):19-24.
15. Kumar A, Qureshi TA, Prashar A, Patiyal RS. Seasonal variation in physico-chemical characteristics of Ranjit Sagar reservoir, Jammu & Kashmir. Journal of Ecophysiology and Occupational Health. 2006; 6(3&4):143-147.
16. Kaur H, Gupta A. Genetic relatedness provides support for a species complex of myxosporeans infecting the Indian major carp, Labeo rohita. Animal Biology. 2015; 65 (3):337-347.
17. Atkinson SD, Bartošová-Sojková P, Whipps CM, Bartholomew JL. Approaches for Characterising Myxozoan Species. In Myxozoan Evolution, Ecology and Development. (eds. Okamura et al. ), Springer International Publishing Switzerland; 2015, p. 111-123.
18. Kaur H, Singh R. Observations on one new species of genus Myxobolus - M. naini and rediscription of M. magauddi recorded from freshwater fishes of Kanjali Wetland of Punjab, India. Proceedings of 20th National Congress of Parasitology. NEHU Shillong, India. 2008, p. 75-79.
19. Kaur H, Singh R. A new myxosporean species, Myxobolus eirasi sp. nov., a known species M. venkateshi Seenappa and Manohar (1981) from the Indian major carp fish Cirrhina mrigala (Ham). Protistology. 2009; 6:126-130.
20. Kaur H, Singh R. One new myxosporidian species, Myxobolus slendrii sp. nov., and one known species, M. punjabensis Gupta and Khera, 1989, infecting freshwater fishes in wetlands of Punjab, India. Parasitolology Research. 2010a; 106(5):1043-1047.
21. Kaur H, Singh R. A new myxosporean species Myxobolus sclerii sp. nov. and one known species M. stomum Ali et al. (2003) from two Indian major carp fishes. Journal of Parasitic Diseases. 2010b; 34:33-39.
22. Kaur H, Singh R. Two new species of Myxobolus (Myxozoa: Myxosporea: Bivalvulida) from freshwater fishes of Punjab wetlands (India). Journal of Parasitic Diseases. 2011a; 35:33-41.
23. Kaur H, Singh R. Two new species of Myxobolus (Myxozoa: Myxosporea: Bivalvulida) infecting an Indian major carp in Ropar and Kanjali wetlands (Punjab). Journal of Parasitic Diseases. 2011b; 35(1):23-32.
24. Kaur H, Singh R. Two new species of Myxobolus (Myxozoa: Myxosporea: Bivalvulida) infecting an Indian major carp and a cat fish in wetlands of Punjab, India. Journal of Parasitic Diseases. 2011; 35:169-176.
25. Kaur H, Singh R. Two new species of Myxobolus (Myxozoa: Myxosporea: Bivalvulida) infecting Indian freshwater fishes in Punjab wetlands (India). Parasitology Research. 2011; 108:1075-1082.
26. Kaur H, Singh R. Myxobolus harikensis sp. nov. (Myxozoa: Myxobolidae) infecting fins of Cirrhina mrigala (Ham.), an Indian major carp in Harike wetland, Punjab (India). Parasitology Research 2011; 109:1699-1705.
27. Kaur H, Singh R. Two new and one already known species of Myxobolus (Myxozoa: Myxosporea: Bivalvulida) infecting gill lamellae of Indian major carp fishes in Ropar and Harike wetlands (Punjab). Proceedings of 22nd National Congress of Parasitology, Kalyani University, West Bengal, India. 2011f, p. 81-90.
28. Kaur H, Singh R. A synopsis of the species of Myxobolus Bütschli, 1882 (Myxozoa: Bivalvulida) parasitizing Indian fishes and a revised dichotomous key to myxosporean genera. Systematic Parasitology. 2012a; 81:17-37.
29. Kaur H, Singh R. One new myxosporean species, Triangula cirrhini sp. n., and one known species, T. ludhianae (syn. M. ludhianae Gupta and Khera, 1991) comb. n. (Myxozoa: Myxosporea), infecting Indian major carp in Harike wetland of Punjab. Animal Biology. 2012b; 62:129-139.
30. Singh R, Kaur H. Thelohanellus (Myxozoa: Myxosporea: Bivalvulida) Infections in major carp fish from Punjab wetlands (India). Protistology. 2012a; 7:178-188.
31. Singh R, Kaur H. Two new Thelohanellus Kudo, 1933 (Myxozoa: Myxosprea: Bivalvulida) infecting fins of major carps in wetlands of Punjab. Trends in Parasitology Research. 2012b; 1(3):34-43.
32. Singh R, Kaur H. Myxosporean species of the genus Thelohanellus Kudo, 1933 (Myxozoa: Myxosprea: Bivalvulida) from freshwater fishes of Punjab wetlands, India. Protistology. 2012c; 7(4):208-217.
33. Singh R, Kaur H. Two new and two already known species of genus Thelohanellus Kudo, 1933 (Myxozoa: Myxosporea: Bivalvulida) infecting Indian major carp fishes in Punjab wetlands (India). Journal of Parasitic Diseases. 2014; 38(1):49-60.
34. Singh R, Kaur H. Two new and one already known species of the genus Thelohanellus Kudo, 1933 (Myxozoa: Myxosporea: Bivalvulida) parasitizing fresh water fishes in wetlands of Punjab, India. Animal Biology. 2015; 70(1):85-93.
35. Kaur H, Dar SA, Singh R. A report on three Myxozoan parasites causing gill myxoboliosis in aquaculture fishes in Punjab (India). Trends in Parasitology Research. 2013a; 1:1-6.
36. Kaur H, Dar SA, Singh R. One new and three already known myxosporean parasites of Indian major carps in Punjab (India). Species. 2013b; 4:17-24.
37. Kaur H. Dar SA, Katoch A. Thelohanellus dykovi sp. nov. (Myxozoa: Bivalvulidae), a pathogenic gill parasite in cultured Indian major carp, Labeo rohita (Hamilton 1822) in Punjab (India). Species. 2014a; 10(23):24-30.
38. Kaur H, Katoch A, Gupta M. Thelohanellus filli sp. n., a pathogenic myxosporean infecting gills of cultured carp, Labeo rohita (Hamilton 1822) in Punjab, India. Species. 2014b; 10(23):31-38.
39. Kaur H, Attri R. Morphological and molecular characterization of Henneguya bicaudi n. sp. (Myxosporea: Myxobolidae) infecting gills of Cirrhinus mrigala (Ham.) in Harike Wetland, Punjab (India). Parasitology Research. 2015a; DOI 10.1007/s00436-015-4647-0.
40. Luna LG. Manual of histologic staining method of the Armed Forces Institute of Pathology. 1968, p. 111.
41. Andree KB, Shekels C, Molnár K, Gresoviac SJ, Hedrick RP. Relationship among members of the genus Myxobolus (Myxozoa: Bivavulida) based on small subunit ribosomal DNA sequences. Journal of Parasitology. 1999; 85:68-74.
42. Fiala I. The phylogeny of Myxosporea (Myxozoa) based on small subunit ribosomal RNA gene analysis. International Journal of Parasitology. 2006; 36:1521-1534.
43. Kimura M. A simple method for estimating evolutionary rate of base substitutions through comparative studies of nucleotide sequences. Journal of Molecular Evolution. 1980; 16, 111-120.
44. Tamura K, Peterson D, Peterson N, Stecher G, Nei M, Kumar S. MEGA6: Molecular evolutionary genetics analysis using maximum likelihood, evolutionary distance, and maximum parsimony methods. Molecular Biology and Evolution. 2013; 28:2731-2739.
45. Ronquist F, Huelsenbeck JP. Bayesian phylogenetic inference under mixed models. Biogeosciences. 2003; 19:1572-1574.
46. Dykovà I. Light and Microscopic studies of Myxobolus longisporus (Myxozoa: Myxobolidae), a gill infecting parasites of carp, Cyprinus carpio haematopterus from chinese lakes. Folia Parasitologica. 2003; 50:263-268.
47. Molnár K, Eszterbauer E. Specificity of infection sites in vertebrate hosts. In: Myxozoan evolution, ecology and development (eds. B. Okamura, A. Gruhl and J.L. Bartholomew). Springer International Publishing Switzerland, 2015, p. 295-313.
48. Chakravarty M, Basu MS. Observations on some myxosporidians parasitic in fishes, with an account of nuclear cycles in one of them. Proceedings of Zoological Society of Bengal. 1948; 1:23-33.
49. Qadri SS. A new myxosporidian Thelohanellus boggoti n. sp. from an Indian fresh water fish Labeo boggot. Archiv fur Protistenkunde. 1962b; 106:218-222.
50. Lalitha Kumari PS. Studies on parasitic protozoa (Myxosporidia) of fresh water fishes of Andhra Pradesh, India. Riv Parasitology. 1969; 30:153-226.
51. Allamuratov B. New species of parasitic protozoa found in the fish of South-Surkham Reservoir. Uzbekskii Biologicheskii Zhurnal. 1966; 10:58-60.
52. Kundu TK, Haldar DP. Studies in Thelohanellus jiroveci sp. nov. a new myxosporidian parasite in a common teleost fish. Vest. Cesk. Spol. Zool. 1981; 45:94-101.
53. Sarkar NK. Some coelozoic Myxosporida (Myxozoa: Myxosporea) from a freshwater water teleost fish of River Padma. Acta Protozoologica. 1985b; 24(1):47-53.
54. Narasimhamurti CC, Kalavati C, Anuradha I, Padma Dorothy K. Studies on the protozoan parasites of deep water fish from the Bay of Bengal. Proceedings of Second Workshop on Scientists. Results of FORV Sagar Sampada, 1990, p. 325-336.
55. Pagarkar AU, Das M. Two new species of myxozoa, Thelohanellus caudatus n. sp. and Myxobolus serrata n. sp. from cultural carps. Journal of Inland Fishery Society of India. 1993; 25(1):30-35.
56. Tripathi YR. Some new Myxosporidia from Plymouth with a proposed new classification of the order. Journal of Parasitology. 1948; 39:110-118.
57. Haldar DP, Das MK, Sharma, BK. Studies on Protozoan parasites from fishes. Four new species of the genera Henneguya Thelohan, 1882, Thelohanellus Kudo, 1933, and Myxobolus Butschli, 1882. Arch Protistenk. 1983; 127:283-296.
180 Absract views 203 PDF Downloads 383 Total views
Effect of Estradiol-17ß on Embryonic Tolerance, Growth, and Muscular compactness of Giant Freshwater Prawn, Macrobrachium rosenbergiiNoppakun Pakdeenarong
Phylogenetic Analysis of Voltage Gated Ion ChannelsAjit Kumar
Molecular identification and optimization of cultural conditions for mycelial biomass production of wild strain of Chlorophyllum molybdites (G.Mey) Massee from the PhilippinesBenjie L. Garcia, Jerwin R. Undan, Rich Milton R. Dulay, Sofronio P. Kalaw, Renato G. Reyes