Amylases are starch degrading enzymes. These enzymes play a pivotal role in the biotechnology industries in food, fermentation, textiles, and paper production. Many industries lack local amylase supply, so the demand for amylase is often high. The study focuses on the screening and isolation of amylase producing bacteria from disparate samples of soil. The promising hydrolytic strains of bacteria from the collected samples were characterized using enzyme kinetics and further investigation is carried out to characterize the amylase enzyme produced by optimization of pH and temperature. The shortlisted isolate was identified using 16s rRNA sequencing. This study is an initial result of an exploration where soil is a source of industrially important amylase producing bacterial strains.
Srivathsan V, Bhandari M, Swaminathan P. Isolation and characterization of starch degrading bacteria from disparate soil samples. J App Biol Biotech. 2022. Online First.
1. Nimisha P, Moksha S, Gangwane AK. Amylase activity of starch degrading bacteria isolated from soil. Int J Curr Micro Appl Sci 2019;8:659-71. https://doi.org/10.20546/ijcmas.2019.804.071
2. Alariya SS, Sethi S, Gupta S, Gupta BL. Amylase activity of a starch degrading bacteria isolated from soil. Arch Appl Sci Res 2013;5:15-24.
3. Bala JD, Abioye OP, Auta HS, Damisa D, Adabara NU, Tuggen TO. Screening of soil microorganisms for amylase production. Indianhj J Biotechnol 2013;7:22-7.
4. Al-Dhabi NA, Esmail GA, Ghilan AK, Arasu MV, Duraipandiyan V, Ponmurugan K. Isolation and purification of starch hydrolysing amylase from Streptomyces sp. Al-Dhabi-46 obtained from the Jazan region of Saudi Arabia with industrial applications. J King Saud Univ Sci 2020;32:1226-32. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jksus.2019.11.018
5. Patel G. Isolation and characterization of starch degrading bacteria from garden soil, Ganpat University, Gujarat, India. India J Microbiol 2015;2:111-4.
6. de Souza PM, de Oliveira Magalhães P. Application of microbial α-amylase in industry-a review. Braz J Microbiol 2010;41:850-61. https://doi.org/10.1590/S1517-83822010000400004
7. Kumari S, Tyagi S, Bamal A. Areview: Characteristics and application of amylase. Int J Adv Microbiol Health Res 2019;3:18-29.
8. Rana N, Walia A, Gaur A. α-amylases from microbial sources and its potential applications in various industries. Nat Aca Sci Lett 2013;36:9-17. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40009-012-0104-0
9. Farooq MA, Ali S, Hassan A, Tahir HM, Mumtaz S, Mumtaz S. Biosynthesis and industrial applications of α-amylase: A review. Arch Microbiol 2021;203:1281-92. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00203-020-02128-y
10. Jujjavarapu SE, Dhagat S. Evolutionary trends in industrial production of α-amylase. Rec Pat Biotechnol 2019;13:4-18. https://doi.org/10.2174/2211550107666180816093436
11. Singh P, Rani A. Isolation and partial characterization of amylase producing Bacillus sp. from soil. Int J Pharm Tech Res 2014;6:2064-9.
12. Ekka A. Screening, isolation and characterization of amylase producing bacteria and optimization for production of amylase. IOSR J Biotech Biochem 2018;4:50-6.
13. Dida G. Isolation and characterization of starch degrading rhizobacteria from soil of Jimma University Main Campus, Ethiopia. Afr J Microbiol Res 2018;12:788-95 https://doi.org/10.5897/AJMR2018.8873
14. Rakaz MA, Hussien MO, Ibrahim HM. Isolation, extraction, purification, and molecular characterization for thermostable α-amylase from locally isolated Bacillus species in Sudan. Biochem Res Int 2021;2021:6670380. https://doi.org/10.1155/2021/6670380
15. Yassin SN, Jiru TM, Indracanti M. Screening and characterization of thermostable amylase-producing bacteria isolated from soil samples of Afdera, Afar region, and molecular detection of amylase-coding gene. Int J Micro 2021;2021:5592885. https://doi.org/10.1155/2021/5592885
16. Vijayalakshmi K, Abha S, Chander P. Isolation and characterization of Bacillus subtilis KC3 for amylolytic activity. Int J Biosci Biochem Bioinforma 2012;2:336-41. https://doi.org/10.7763/IJBBB.2012.V2.128
17. Shofiyah SS, Yuliani D, Widya N, Sarian FD, Puspasari F, Radjasa OK, et al. Isolation, expression, and characterization of raw starch degrading α-amylase from a marine lake Bacillus megaterium NL3. Heliyon 2020;6:e05796. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.heliyon.2020.e05796
18. Thippeswamy S, Girigowda K, Mulimani VH. Isolation and identification of alpha-amylase producing Bacillus sp. from dhal industry waste. Indian J Biochem Biophys 2006;43:295-8.
19. Padhiar AR, Kommu S. Isolation, characterization and optimization of bacteria producing amylase. Int J Adv Res Bio Sci 2016;3:1-7.
20. Padma S, Pallavi K. Isolation and characterization of amylase producing Bacillus spp. from selected soil sample. Int J Biosci 2016;5:24-9.
21. Liu H, Guo X, Gooneratne R, Lai R, Zeng C, Zhan F, et al. The gut microbiome and degradation enzyme activity of wild freshwater fishes influenced by their trophic levels. Sci Rep 2016;6:24340. https://doi.org/10.1038/srep24340
22. Mishra S, Acharya S. A brief overview on probiotics: The health friendly microbes. Biomed Pharmacol J 2021;14:55. https://doi.org/10.13005/bpj/2285
23. Gopinath SC, Anbu P, Arshad MM, Lakshmipriya T, Voon CH, Hashim U, et al. Biotechnological processes in microbial amylase production. BioMed Res Int. 2017;2017:1272193. https://doi.org/10.1155/2017/1272193
24. Luang-In V, Yotchaisarn M, Saengha W, Udomwong P, Deeseenthum S, Maneewan K. Isolation and identification of amylase-producing bacteria from soil in Nasinuan Community Forest, MahaSarakham, Thailand. Biomed Pharmacol 2019;12:1061-8. https://doi.org/10.13005/bpj/1735
25. Divakaran D, Chandran A, PratapChandran R. Comparative study on production of α-amylase from Bacillus licheniformis strains. Braz J Microbiol 2011;42:1397-404. https://doi.org/10.1590/S1517-83822011000400022
1 Absract views 0 PDF Downloads 1 Total views