Published:  Apr 27, 2015DOI: 10.7324/JABB.2015.3206
The widespread use of the herbicides for weed control and crop productivity in modern agriculture exerts a threat on economically important crops by way of cytological damage to the cells of crop plant or side effects. In the present study the cytotoxic effects of herbicide butachlor were investigated in the somatic cells of wheat. The wheat grains were treated with different concentrations of herbicide (0.15-1.0ppm) at room temperature. The percentage mitotic index decreased significantly as the concentration of the herbicide increased when compared to control. The chromosomal abnormalities were found to be increased as the concentration of the herbicide increased when compared to control. The observed chromosomal irregularities were sticky chromatin, chromosomal bridge, nuclear lesion, scattered chromosome, fragmented metaphase, fragmented anaphase, multipolar chromosome and micronuclei. According to our findings we can say that butachlor can produce negative side effects on mitotic division in somatic cells of wheat.
N. K. Hemanth Kumar and Shobha Jagannath. Cytological Effects of Herbicide Butachlor 50 EC on Somatic cells of Triticum aestivum L. J App Biol Biotech. 2015; 3 (02): 030-034.
1. Siddiqui SR, Ali A, Chaudhary MF. Germination behavior of wheat (Triticum aestivum) varieties to artificial ageing under varying temperature and humidity. Pakistan Journal of Botany. 2008; 40:1121-1127.
2. Chhokar RS, Singh S, Sharma RK. Herbicides for control isoproturon resistant little seed canary grass (Phalaris minor) in wheat. Crop protectection. 2008; 24:719-726.
3. NRCWS (2007) NRCWS perspective plan, vision. National research center for weed science (NRCWS), Jablapur, India 56-59.
4. Hess D. Herbicide characteristics and classification. Revised from Grest, J.R., CWC chemical.1999. Inc. pp. 2-18.
5. Kearney PC, Kaufman DD. Herbicides: Chemistry, degradation and mode of action . Acta Physiology Plantarum. 1988; 24:97-113.
6. Atteq B, Farah MB, Ali M, Ahmad W. Clastogenicity of pentachlorophenol, 2,4-D and butachlor evaluated by Allium root tip test. Mutation Research. 2002; 514:105-113.
7. Boger P, Matthes B, Schamalfub J. Review-Towards the primary target of chloroacetamides –new findings pave the way. Pest management Science. 2000; 56:497-508.
8. Chang SS, Ashton FM, Bayer DE. Butachlor influence on selected metabolic Processes of Plant Cells and tissues. J of Plant Growth Regulation. 1985; 4:1-9.
9. Fiskesjo G. The Allium test as a standard in environmental monitoring. Hereditas. 1985; 102:99-112.
10. Armbruster BL, Molin MW, Bugg MW. Effects of the herbicide dithiopyr on cell division in wheat root tips. Pesticide Biochemistry and Physiology. 1991; 39:110-120.
11. Friesen HA, Baenziger H, Keys CH. Morphological and cytological effects of dicamba on wheat and barley. Canidian Journal of Plant Science. 1964; 44:288-294.
12. Kumar S. Effect of 2,4-D and isoproturon on chromosomal disturbances during mitotic division in root tip cells of Triticum aestivum L. Cytology and Genetics. 2010; 44:79-87.
13. Zaman S, Saleh MA. Mutagenic effect of ethylene glycol on somatic cells of wheat (Triticum aestivm L.). Journal of Life earth Science. 2005; 1:43-49.
14. Pandey RM. Cytotoxic effects of pesticides in somatic cells of Vicia faba L. Cytology and genetics. 2008; 42:373-377.
15. Yuzbasioglu D, Unal F, Sancak C. Genotoxic effects of herbicide lloxan (Diclofop-Methyl) on Allium cepa L. Turkish Journal of Biology. 2009; 33:283-290.
16. Akhter A, Rani R, Munira S, Ud-Deen MM, Kabir G. Cytological effects of herbicides on hexaploid wheat (Triticum aestivum L.). Journal of Biological sciences. 2009; 17-21-26.
17. Inceer H, Ayaz S, Beyazoglu O, Senturk E. Cytogenetic effects of copper chloride on root tip cells of Helianthus annus L. Turkish Journal of Biology. 2003 27:43-46.
18. Grant WF. Chromosome aberrations in plants as a monitoring system. Environment Heath Perspective. 1978; 27: 37-43.
19. Rad MH, Aviazi AA, Jagannath S. Cytogenetic and biochemical effects of imazeyhapyr in wheat (Triticum duram). Turkish Journal of Biology. 2011; 35:1-6.
20. Kumar S, Arya SK, Roy BK, Singh AK. The effects of 2,4-dichlorophenoxy acetic acid on the mitotic activity of wheat (Triticum aestivum L.) root tips. Turkish Journal of Biology. 2010; 34:55-66.
21. Kumar S. Effect of 2,4-D and isoproturon on chromosomal disturbances during mitotic division in root tip cells of Triticum aestivum L. Cytology and Genetics. 2010; 44:79-87.
22. Grant WF. Chromosome aberration assay in Allium. A report of US environmental protection, agency gene-tox programme. Mutation Research. 1982; 99:273-279.
23. Klasterska I, Natarajan AT, Ramel C.An interpretation of the origin of subchromatid aberrations and chromosome stickness as a category of chromatid aberrations. Hereditas. 1976; 83: 153-162.
24. Meral U, Unsal NP, Ismailoglu I. The effect of putrescine and difluoromethylornithine on cell division activity of wheat in different ploidy level. Caryologia. 2005; 58:15-20.
25. Jabee F, Ansari MYK, Shahab D. Studies on the effect of maleic hydrazide on root tip cells and pollen fertility in Trigonella foenum-graecum L. Turkish Journal of Biology. 2008; 32:337-344.
26. Sinha U. Cytomorphological and macromolecular changes induced by p-flurophenylalanine in Allium cepa and Triticale. Journal of Cytology and Genetics. 1979; 14:198.
27. Koduru PRK, Rao MK. Cytogenetics of synaptic mutants in higher plants. Theoretical Application Genetics. 1981; 59:197-214.
28. Ahmed M, Grant WF. Cytological effect of mercurial fungicide panogen 15 on Tradescantia and Vicia faba root tips. Mutation Research. 1972; 14: 391-396.
29. Dupraw EJ. DNA and chromosomes. Holt, Rinehart and Winston, 1970;New York.
30. Amer SM, Ali EM. Cytological effects of pesticides 4, mitotic effects of some phenols. Cytologia. 1969;34:533-540.
31. Prasad I, Pramer D. Genetics effects of ferbam on Aspergillus and Allium cepa. Phytopathology. 1968; 58:1188-1189.
32. Tomkins DJ, Grant WF. Monitoring natural vegetation for herbicide induced chromosomal aberrations. Mutation Research. 1976; 36-73.
33. Sexena PN, Murthy RC, Guptha SK. Carbofuron induced cytogenetic effect in root meristem cells of Allium cepa L. and Allium sativum L. A spectroscopic approach for chromosome damage. Pestici Biochem and Physiol. 2010;96:93-100
34. Inceer, H., Beyazoglu, O. and Ergul, H.A. Cytogenetic effects of wastes of copper mine on root tips cells of Allium cepa L. Pakisthan J. Biol. Sci. 2000; 3 (3) : 376-379.
35. Rekha k, Dharman AK Mitotic aberrations induced by sodium benzoate: A food additive in Allium cepa L. Plant Archives. 2011; 11:945-947
36. Vaughan MA, Vaughn KC. DCPA causes cell plate disruption in wheat roots. Ann of Bot. 1990; 65:379-388
361 Absract views 194 PDF Downloads 555 Total views