Published:  Oct 22, 2015DOI: 10.7324/JABB.2015.3509
The present study was carried out with six wheat and four maize genotypes from Mahyco Research Centre, Dawalwadi, Jalna, MH to develop wheat double haploid lines by wheat x maize crossing system. The following steps were followed while conducting the experiment: emasculation of wheat spikes, crossing or pollination of emasculated spikes with maize pollens, treating pollinated spikes with 100 ppm 2,4-D solution, excision of embryo and subsequent culture on half strength MS media. In total, 296 spikes were emasculated and pollinated with randomly collected maize pollens after 24 hrs. Success was obtained in rescuing a total of 27 embryos from 575 caryopses among two genotypes i.e. MW2 and MW3. Percentage of embryo formation varied in the range of 0-10 per cent owing to non-standard conditions. However, the frequency of embryo formation could be increased by focusing on the most important of all culture conditions i.e. temperature (18-21 °C).
Anjanabha Bhattacharya, Bhavesh Palan, Bharat Char. An insight into wheat haploid production using wheat x maize wide hybridization. J App Biol Biotech. 2015; 3 (05): 044-047. DOI: 10.7324/JABB.2015.3509
1. Grauda D, Lepse N, Strazdina V, Kokina I, Lapina L, Mikelsone A, Lubinskis L, Rashal I. Obtaining of doubled haploid lines by anther culture method for the Latvian wheat breeding. Agronomy Research (Special Issue III). 2010; 8: 545-552.
2. Lashermes P. Improved anther culture method for obtaining direct regeneration in wheat (Triticum aestivum L.). Journal of Genetics and Breeding. 1992; 46: 99-102.
3. Saeed NA, Chowdhry MA, Khan IA. Induction of callus and organogenesis in bread wheat through anther culture. Pakistan Journal of Agriculture Research. 1994; 15(1): 108-114.
4. Lantos C, Paricsi S, Zofajova A, Weyen J, Pauk J. Isolated microspore culture of wheat (Triticum aestivum L.) with Hungarian cultivars. Acta Biologica Szegediensis. 2006; 50(1-2): 31-35.
5. Liu W, Zheng MY, Konzac CF. Improving green plant production via isolated microspore culture in bread wheat (Triticum aestivum L.). Plant Cell Report. 2002; 20: 821-824.
6. Shahinul Islam SM. The effect of colchicine pretreatment on isolated microspore culture of wheat (Triticum aestivum L.). Australian Journal of Crop Science. 2010; 4(9): 660-665.
7. Zheng MY. Microspore culture in wheat (Triticum aestivum)-doubled haploid production via induced embryogenesis. Plant Cell, Tissue and Organ Culture. 2003; 73: 213-230.
8. Campbell AW. Assessment of wheat x maize doubled haploid technology for genetic improvement of New Zealand wheat. A Ph.D. thesis submitted to Lincoln University, Canterbury, New Zealand. 1999.
9. Khan MA, Ahmad J. In vitro wheat haploid embryo production by wheat x maize cross system under different environmental conditions. Pakistan Journal of Agriculture Sciences. 2011; 48(1): 49-53.
10. Niroula RK, Bimb HP, Thapa DB, Sah BP, Nayak S. Production of haploid wheat plants from wheat (Triticum aestivum L.) x maize (Zea mays L.) cross system. Himalayan Journal of Sciences. 2007; 4(6): 65-69.
11. Inagaki M, Mujeeb-Kazi A. Comparison of polyhaploid production frequencies in crosses of hexaploid wheat with maize, pearl millet and sorghum. Breeding Science. 1995; 45: 157-161.
12. Inagaki MN, Tahir M. Production of haploid wheat through intergeneric crosses. Hereditas. 1992; 116: 117-120.
13. Garcia-Llamas C, Ramirez MC, Ballesteros J. Effect of pollinator on haploid production in durum wheat crossed with maize and pearl millet. Plant Breeding. 2004; 123: 201-203.
14. Laurie DA, Bennett MD. Wheat x maize hybridization. Canadian Journal of Genetics and Cytology. 1986; 28: 313-316.
15. Moradi P, Haghnazari A, Bozorgipour R, Sharma B. Development of yellow rust resistant doubled haploid lines of wheat through wheat x maize crosses. International Journal of Plant Production. 2009; 3(3): 77-88.
16. Khan MA, Shaukat S, Ahmad J, Kashif M, Khan AS, Iqbal MZ. Use of intergeneric cross for production of doubled haploid wheat (Triticum aestivum L.). Journal of Science, Technology and Development. 2012; 31(4): 295-300.
17. Niroula RK, Bimb HP. Overview of wheat x maize system of crosses for dihaploid induction in wheat. World Applied Sciences Journal. 2009; 7(8): 1037-1045.
18. Laurie DA, Bennett MD. The production of haploid wheat plants from wheat x maize crosses. Theoretical and Applied Genetics. 1988; 76: 393-397.
19. Ahmad J, Chowdhry MA. The efficiency of chromosome doubling in haploids derived from wheat x maize crossing. Pakistan Journal of Biological Science. 2005; 8(12): 1707-1711.
20. Niroula RK, Thapa DB. Response of Wheat Genotypes to Maize Mediated Polyhaploid Production. American-Eurasian Journal of Agronomy. 2009; 2 (3): 156-161.
21. Torres LE, Bima P, Maich R, Badiali OJJ, Nisi J. Production of haploid plants from ten hybrids of bread wheat (Triticum aestivum L.) through wide hybridization with maize (Zea mays L.). Agriscientia. 2010; Vol. XXVII (2): 79-85.
154 Absract views 172 PDF Downloads 326 Total views
Agronomic evaluation of temperate maize populations in tropical zoneJustin Abadassi
Bioprospecting of endophytic bacteria from the Indian Himalayas and their role in plant growth promotion of maize (Zea mays L.)Kusam Lata Rana, Divjot Kour, Tanvir Kaur, Rubee Devi, Ashok Yadav, Ajar Nath Yadav
Upsurge production of cellulase from maize stover under soildstate conditions mediated by Streptomyces enissocaesilis DQ026641Ashok Sudarshan, Siddanna Renuka, Sirasagar Reshma, Bhalerao Shilanjali, Dayanand Agsar
Accumulation of cadmium in maize roots inoculated with root organ culture of Rhizophagus irregularis improving cadmium tolerance through activation of antioxidative defense enzymesRajamony VinuRadha, Karunanandham Kumutha, Asish Kanagaraj Binodh
Effect of growth regulators on callus morphology of Rice anther culturecAvinash Sharma, Dalpat Lal and Monoj Sutradhar
Exploring factors affecting anther culture in rice (Oryza sativa L.)Swapan Kumar Tripathy, D. Swain, P. M. Mohapatra, Arjun M. Prusti, Bandita Sahoo, Sucharita Panda, Monalisha Dash, Bhaskar Chakma, Suraj K. Behera
Frequencies of Insulin- Promoter Factor-I (IPF-I) gene mutations in a Cohort of Sudanese Patients with Type 2 Diabetes MellitusNahla A Elsheikh and Eltahir AG Khalil
Meta-analysis of variant rs 7903146 of TCF7L2 gene with secondary complications of Type 2 Diabetes MellitusKanhaiya Singh, NK Agrawal, SK Gupta, Kiran Singh
Humoral immune response in cattle and buffaloes vaccinated against Pasteurella multocida B: 2 with reference to levels of B Lymphocytes and IL-2R+Harsh Shaveta, Deepti Chachra, H M Saxena, Mudit Chandra
Comparative analysis of two catalytically distinct endoglucanases from Aspergillus nidulansBaljit Kaur, H.S. Oberoi, B.S. Chadha
Insight into interplay of some molecular chaperones in a hill stream teleost, Barilius bendelisis under wide seasonal and diurnal thermal fluctuationsSaurabh Dewan,Yashpal Singh,JP Bhatt
Cloning, expression and purification of resistance gene analogue RGPM 301 from pearl millet in Escherichia coliMariswamy Veena, Prasad Melvin, Sekhar Shailasree, Kukkundoor Ramachandra Kini
Growth, physiological and biochemical responses of Meliaceae species - Azadirachta indica and Melia dubia to elevated CO2 concentrationsS. Janani, P. Priyadharshini, R. S. C. Jayaraj, C. Buvaneswaran, Rekha R. Warrier
Effects of Malaria in Pregnancy (MiP) on Pregnancy Development and its Outcome: a Critical ReviewJoshua Djabanor, Elvis Quansah, Du-Bois Asante
In-Vitro Propagation of Dioscorea alata for Tyrosinase ProductionB. Gopal Samy, K. Jegatheesan, C. Infant Francina
In-vitro Assessment of Carbendazim and Copper oxychloride cytotoxicity on HaCaT and HepG2 human cell linesDiksha Sateesh Bakre, Basappa Basawanneppa Kaliwal
Aroclor 1254 induced oxidative stress and histopathological changes in mice liverJalpa Raja, Shweta Pathak, Rahul Kundu
Cytotoxicity and antiproliferative effects of ethyl acetate fraction of Padina australis against MCM-B2 and K562 cell lines.Heder Djamaludin, Maria Bintang, Bambang Pontjo Priosoeryanto
Low dose and subchronic Aroclor 1254 induced histopathological changes in mice kidneyJalpa Raja, Shweta Pathak, Rahul Kundu
Study of the changes in the growth, protein, and bioactive profile of Chlorella emersonii KJ725233 in response to sodium and ammonium nitrateSneha Sunil Sawant, Varsha Kelkar-Mane
Study of impact of Wolbachia surface protein on reactive oxygen species production in HepG2 cell line exposed to ethanolV. P. Kishore, H. P. Puttaraju
Mycelial biomass, antioxidant, and myco-actives of mycelia of abalone mushroom Pleurotus cystidiosus in liquid cultureKent Garcia, Chester Jhae Garcia, Reynante Bustillos, Rich Milton Dulay
Detection of 3243 A/G and 3316 G/A mitochondrial DNA mutations in Nagpur populationUtpal Jagdish Dongre, Virendra Govindrao Meshram
Detection of SARS-CoV-2 using high-throughput PCRSaakshi Jalali, Vikas K. Patel, Venkatesh Prasad, Ajit Sapre, Santanu Dasgupta, Bhaskar Bhadra
In vitro antioxidant activity of Lactobacillus plantarum against hydrogen peroxide-induced neuronal damage on PC12 cellsShani Kunjamma John, Vani Chandrapragasam
A novel strategy for disarming quorum sensing in Pseudomonas aeruginosa-Chlorella emersonii KJ725233Sneha Sawant Desai, Reema Devi Singh, Sukhendu B Ghosh, Varsha Kelkar
Recent advances in the knowledge of coronaviruses with special emphasis on severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2)Khushboo Irshad, Madeeha Mudassir, Sheeba Irshad, Mohammad Irshad
Statistical optimization of chitinase production by Box–Behnken design in submerged fermentation using Bacillus cereus GS02Garima Dukariya, Anil Kumar
Enhancement of Vitamin D2 content through ultraviolet-B irradiation in submerged cultivated Pleurotus eryngii mycelia using response surface methodologyUmesh Singh, Ashwani Gautam, Satyawati Sharma
Modification of the time of incubation in colorimetric method for accurate determination of the total antioxidants capacity using 2,2-diphenyl-1-picrylhydrazyl stable free radicalAbhipsa Bal, Samar Gourav Pati, Falguni Panda, Biswaranjan Paital
The linkage between the second wave of COVID-19 and the severity of mucormycosis in IndiaKshama Wamanrao Murarkar, Shilpa Prakash Mankar
Augmentative role of Piriformospora indica fungus and plant growth promoting bacteria in mitigating salinity stress in Trigonella foenum-graecumSanskriti Bisht, Shatrupa Singh, Madhulika Singh,, Jai Gopal Sharma
The ITS2 DNA sequence analysis in six species of barbin fishes with phylogenetic insightsSandip Choudhury, Briyanka Kashyap, Karabi Dutta
Diversity due to mutations in circulating virus strains of SARS-CoV-2 may delay control of COVID-19Sharanagouda S. Patil, Chandan Shivamallu, Chandan Dharmashekara, Sushma Pradeep, Kuralayanapalya Puttahonnappa Suresh, Ashwini Prasad, Shiva Prasad Kollur, Mahendra P. Yadav, Chandrashekar Srinivasa, Bramhadev Pattnaik
Genetic polymorphism of soybean genotypes with contrasting levels of phosphatidylcholine, protein, and lipoxygenase-2Aseem Kumar Anshu,, Trupti Tayalkar, Anita Rani, Vineet Kumar, Hamendra Singh Parmar
Cloning the root-specific Asy promoter and genes encoding chitinase 42 kDa of Trichoderma asperellum into the plant expression vectorNguyen Hoang Tue, Tran Gia Cat Tuong, Pham Thi Huyen Trang, Nguyen Duc Chung, Phung Thi Bich Hoa,, Nguyen Quang Duc Tien, Nguyen Hoang Loc
Seed treatment with 24-epibrassinolide enhances soybean seed germination under salinity stressVictoria Oko Otie, Idorenyin Udo, Shuoshuo Liang, Shao Yang, Michael Itam, Ping An, Egrinya Anthony Eneji
Cowpea (Vigna unguiculata L. Walp.): A choice crop for sustainability during the climate change periodsTewodros Ayalew, Tarekegn Yoseph
Antifungal effects of Kurthia gibsonii Mb 126 chitinase as a seed treatment on seed-borne fungi of rice seed on germination percentage and seedling vigorMini K. Paul, K. D. Mini, Jyothis Mathew
Health-related risk of SARS-CoV-2 infection in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease patients: A systematic reviewMeenakshi S, Raghunath N, Vishal B Rawal, Ramith Ramu
Meta-analysis of Type 2 diabetes and insulin resistance gene expression datasets to decipher their associated pathwaysAditya Saxena, Nitish Mathur, Uma Chaudhary, Utkarsh Raj, Sneha Rai, Sandeep Kumar Mathur
A subchronic toxicity test of a combination of n-hexane and ethyl acetate fraction of rose myrtle leaves (Rhodomyrtus tomentosa [Ait.] Hassk) on male white ratsSalni Salni, Herlina Herlina, Aprila Purnamasari
Designing of guide RNA constructs for CRISPR/Cas9-mediated editing of rice transcription factor OsMADS26 for enhancing drought toleranceK. Anjala, Rehna Augustine
Humoral immune response in COVID-19 patients and novel design of lateral flow assay strip for simultaneous rapid detection of IgA/IgM/ IgG antibodies against the SARS-CoV-2 virusHuong Thu Ngo, Son Van Tran, Hien Dang Nguyen, Phong Quoc Truong
Isolation and characterization of robust plant growth-promoting rhizobacteria from lignite mines, GujaratRavi Patel, Dilip N. Borada, Amisha Patel, Neil J. Shah
In-vitro and in-vivo models for the identification and validation of radioprotectors and radiosensitizersDebasish Mohapatra,#, Amlan Priyadarshee Mohapatra,#, Anjan Kumar Sahoo, Shantibhusan Senapati
Begomovirus detection in the whitefly Bemisia spp. on eggplant Solanum melongena L. leavesRachmi Putri, Prasetya Anugerah Gusti, Nastiti Wijayanti
Evaluation of functional characteristics of roselle seed and its use as a partial replacement of wheat flour in soft bread makingNguyen Minh Thuy, Nguyen Bao Tram, Dinh Gia Cuong, Huynh Khanh Duy, Ly Thanh An, Vo Quoc Tien, Tran Ngoc Giau, Ngo Van Tai
Development of a colloidal Gold nanoparticle-based lateral-flow assay for rapid detection of SARS-CoV-2 showing enhanced sensitivity and specificitySuresh Singh, Tapan Singha, Rajat Maheshwari, Pankaj Yadav, Arun Kumar, Harendra Bhoj, Bharti Sharma, Amit Verma, Amit Gupta, Harsh Singh, Sonal Mishra, Rajeshwar Sinha
Effects of gibberellic acid on seed dormancy of black gram (Vigna mungo L.)Vinothini Nedunchezhiyan, Mohanasundari Palanivel, P. A. Akhila Jabeen, Poovarasan Thangavel, Bhavyasree Ramakrishnan, Manonmani Velusamy, Sakila Muthusamy, Isong Abasianyanga Edm
Neutrophil gelatinase associated lipocalin a proinflammatory polypeptide necessary for host cell survival in bacterial infectionNichita Yadav Aare, Pawan Kumar Anoor, Swathi Raju M, N. Srinivas Naik, Sandeepta Burgula