Plantlet regeneration in Piper longum L. has been achieved from nodal segments excised from in vivo grown plantlets cultured on MS medium supplemented with growth regulators. The present investigation was carried out to regenerate plantlet of Piper longum L through in vitro culture. Nodal segments from one year old plants of field grown Piper longum were used as explants for initial culture. The nodal explants were cultured on MS medium supplemented with different concentration and combination of cytokinines and auxines for primary shoot proliferation. The best shoot proliferation was observed in MS medium containing 1.0 mg/l Kinetin and 1.5 mg/l BAP where 98 % of explants showed proliferation with highest rate of shoot multiplication (5-6 shoots per explant). Callus induction occurred in (1 mg/l) BAP and (0.5 mg/l) Kinetin and 10-15 days of callus subculture initiation of greenish white shoot buds was observed. For rooting, the in vitro micro shoot were inoculated to MS basal media supplemented with 0.5 mg/l IAA and rooting was more profuse. The regenerated plantlets were successfully established in soil with survival rate 90%. The protocol described is simple, rapid efficient for in vitro propagation of P. longum (L.) from nodal explants and soil establishment of plantlets.
Bandana Padhan. Regeneration of plantlets of Piper longum L. through in vitro culture from nodal segments. J App Biol Biotech. 2015; 3 (05): 035-039. DOI: 10.7324/JABB.2015.3507
1. Bhat SR, Chandel KPS, Malik SK, Plant regeneration from various explants of cultivated Piper species. Plant Cell Reports. 1995; 14:398-402.
2. Bhat SR, Kackar A, Chandel KPS, Plant regeneration from callus cultures of Piper longum L. by organogenesis. Plant Cell Reports. 1992; 11:525-528.
3. Bhatt I, Dhar U, Factors controlling micropropagation of Myrica esculenta buch.-Ham. Ex D. Don: A high value wild edible of Kumaun Himalaya. African Journal of Biotechnology. 2004; 3:534-540.
4. Domínguez F, Lozoya X, Simon J, Tissue Culture Regeneration of a Medicinal Plant from Mexico: Piper auritum Kunth. Hortscience. 2006; 41(1):207-209.
5. Murashige T, Skoog F, A revised medium for rapid growth and bioassays with tobacco tissue culture. Physiology of Plant. 1962; 15: 473-497
6. Ohyama K, Tissue culture in mulberry tree. Japan Agricultural Research Quarterly. 1970; 5:30-34.
7. Parida R, Dhal Y, A study on the micro-propagation and antioxidant activity of Piper longum (An important medicinal plant). Journal of Medicinal Plants Research. 2011; 5:6991-6994.
8. Philip S, Banerjee NS, Das MR, Genetic variation and micropropagation in three varieties of Piper longum L. Current sciences. 2004; 78:169-173.
9. Rani D, Dantu PK, Direct shoot regeneration from nodal, internodal and petiolar segments of Piper longum L. and in vitro conservation of indexed plantlets. Plant Cell Tissue and Organ Culture. 2012; 109:9-17.
10. Sarasan V, Nair GM, Tissue culture of medicinal plants: morphogenesis, direct regeneration and somatic embryogenesis, in Prakash, J. and Pierik, R.L.M. (eds.) Horticultur- New Technologies & Applications , 1991; PP 237-240. Dordrecht, The Netherlands: Kluwer Academic Publishers.
11. Sawangjaroen N, Sawangjaroen K, Poonpanang P, Effects of Piper longum fruit, Piper sarmentosum root and Quercus infectoria nut gall on Caecal amoebiasis in mice. Journal of Ethnopharmacology. 2004; 91:357-360.
12. Soniya EV, Das MR, In vitro micropropagation of Piper longum- an important medicinal plant. Plant Cell Tissue and Organ Culture. 2002; 70:325-327.
13. Yusuf A, Tyagi RK, Malik SK, Somatic embryogenesis and plantlet regeneration from leaf segments of Piper colubrinum. Plant Cell Tissue and Organ Culture. 2001; 65:255-258.
189 Absract views 182 PDF Downloads 371 Total views
Sustainable development of plant tissue culture industry: The Indian scenarioShashank M. Patil, V. B. Chandana Kumari, K. Sumana, S. Sujay, M. Tejaswini, Prithvi S. Shirahatti, Ramith Ramu
An insight on micro propagation of Myrica species for improvement in cultivation practices of nutraceutically important fruitsSohan Lal, Amita Kumari, Ishita Guleria, Jyoti Dhatwalia, Shabnam Thakur, Shailja Kumari, Subhash Sharma