Published:  Oct 22, 2015DOI: 10.7324/JABB.2015.3505
Date palm (Phoenix dactylifera L.) is a long-lived, dioecious, monocotyledonous fruit tree having (2n=2x=36) chromosome number and wind pollinated member of the Arecaceae family. Identification of genetic variation and phylogenetic relationships in the date palm grown in Nigeria would be useful for genetic improvement and conservation. Genetic polymorphism in 10 date palms grown in Nigeria was analyzed using RAPD makers. The leaf samples for DNA extraction were collected from Nigerian Institute for Oil palm Research (NIFOR) date palm experimental substation Dutse, Jigawa State, Nigeria.DNA was extracted from young leaves for PCR Amplification employing DNeasy Mini Kit. Five RAPD selected primers were employed to determine genetic variation among the ten date palms genotypes and also to test the effectiveness of RAPD primers as a genetic maker. Polymorphism was observed among all the date palms using the RAPD primers. Cluster analysis using sequence alignment was done to generated dendrogram verifying relationship among the ten studied date palms, with an average similarity matrix range of 0.00 to 0.85. This study has helped to design molecular markers such as RAPD that are suitable in the characterization of Nigerian date palm collection.
Beatrice Emoghene, Omorefe Asemota, MacDonald Idu, Chukwuemeka Eke. Molecular Characterization of some Date palms in Nigeria Using Rapd Markers. J App Biol Biotech. 2015; 3 (05): 026-030. DOI: 10.7324/JABB.2015.3505
1. Mirbahar AA, Markhand GS, Khan S, Abul-Soad AA. Molecular characterization of some Pakistani Date Palm (Phoenix dactilyfera L.) cultivars by RAPD markers. Pakistan Journal of Botany. 2014; 46(2): 619-625.
2. Khierallah HSM, Hussien NH. The role of coconut water and caseinhydrolysate in somatic embryogenesis of date palm and genetic stability detection using RAPD markers. Research in Biotechnology. 2013; 4(3):20-28.
3. Khierallah HSM, Al-Sammarraie SKI, Mohammed HI. Molecular characterization of some Iraqi Date Palm cultivars using RAPD and ISSR markers. Journal of Asian Scientific Research. 2014; 4(9):490-503.
4. El-Rayes DA. Characterization of three date palm cultivars based on RAPD fingerprints and fruit chemical composition. JKAU: Met., Env. & Arid Land Agric. Sci.2009;20(2):3-20.
5. Saker MM, Hassan WM, Zeid IMA, Hassan AE, Bas AE. The Application of Random Amplified Polymorphic DNA (RAPD) in the classification of Egyptian Date Palm (Phoenix dactilyfera L) cultivars. Journal of American Science.2012; 8(1):152-159.
6. Ibrahim IA, Hashem MH, Hemeida AA, Hassan MM, Maksoud AIA. Characterization of genetic diversity of Date palm (Phoenix dactylifera L.)cultivars collected from New valley governorate (El-Kharga and Dakhleh) based onMorphological variability and molecular markers.Life Science Journal.2014; 11 (11):879-889.
7. Haider N, Nabulsi I, MirAli N. Phylogenetic relationships among date palm (Phoenix dactylifera L.) cultivars in Syria using RAPD and ISSR markers. Journal of Plant Biology Research.2012; 1(2):12-24.
8. Soliman SS, Ali BA, Ahmen MMM. Genetics Comparisons of Egyptian Date Palm Cultivars (Phoenix dactylifera L.) by RAPD-PCR. African Journal of Biotechnology. 2003; 2 (4): 86-87.
9. Nazari L, Pakniyat H. Genetic diversity of wild and cultivated barley genotypes under drought stress using RAPD markers. Biotechnology. 2008;7(4): 745 - 750.
10. Sonboli A, Gholipour A, Mirjalili MH, Rad MA. Molecular characterization of Iranian Dracocephalum (Lamiaceae) species based on RAPD data. Acta Biologica Szegediensis. 2011; 55(20):227-230.
11. Eissa EA, El-Razek ABA, El-Sharabasy SF, Rizk RM. Morphological and molecular genetic characterization of soft date palm (Phoenix dactylifera L.) cultivars in Egypt. Egypt. J. Genet. Cytol.2009;38:269-284.
12. Askari E, Al-Khalifah NS, Ohmura T, Al-Hafedh YS, Khan FA, Al-Hindi A, Okawara R. Molecular phylogeny of seven date palm (Phoenix dactylifera L.) cultivars by DNA fingerprinting. Pakistan Journal of Botany. 2003; 35(3): 323 - 330.
13. Adawy SS, Hussein EHA, El-Khishin D, Saker MM, Mohamed AA, El-Itriby HA. Genotyping Egyptian date palm cultivars using RAPD, ISSR, AFLP markers and estimation of genetic stability among tissue culture derived plants. Arab Journal of Biotechnology. 2004; 8(1): 99 - 114.
14. Hussein EHA, Adawy SS, Ismai SEM, El-Itriby HA. Molecular characterization of some Egyptian date palm germplasm using RAPD and ISSR markers. Arab Journal of Biotechnology.2004; 8(1): 83 - 98.
15. Moghaieb REA, Abdel-Hadi AA, Ahmed MRA, Hassan AGM. Genetic diversity and sex determination in date palms (Phoenix dactylifera L.) based on DNA markers. Arab Journal of Biotechnology. 2010;13(2): 143 - 156.
16. Bekheet SA, Solliman ME, Taha HS. In vitro differentiation of zygotic lines of date palm: Biochemical and molecular approaches to sex determination. Proceedings of 3rd International conference on date palm. Abu Dhabi, UAE.2007; Pp 117 - 125.
176 Absract views 169 PDF Downloads 345 Total views
Genetic divergence and gene flow in three populations of Notopterus notopterus (Pallas, 1769), Madhya PradeshGarg RK , Dhanaxi Chaturvedi, Batav N, R. Sharma, Singh RK
An efficient protocol for in vitro propagation of Fig (Ficus carica sp) and evaluation of genetic fidelity using RAPD and ISSR markersEl-Dessoky S. Dessoky , Attia O. Attia , El-Awady A. M. Mohamed
Molecular characteristics of prickly-pear cactus (Opuntia) based on internal transcribed spacer sequences (ITS) of Queretaro State-MexicoM. C. C. P. de Lyra, D. C. Santos, C. Mondragon-Jacobo, M.L.R.B. da Silva, A. C. E.S Mergulhão, E. Martínez-Romero
Morphometric traits and molecular characterization by using ISSR and RAPD markers in Jatropha curcus L. accessions grown in Andaman and Nicobar Islands, IndiaM.Sankaran,I.Jaisankar,D.R.Singh,S.Pramod Kumar,T.Rajesh Kannan and S.Dam Roy
Assessment of genetic diversity in Shorea robusta: an economically important tropical tree speciesGiridara-Kumar Surabhi, Subhankar Mohanty, Rajesh Kumar Meher, Arup Kumar Mukherjee, Lakshmi Narayana R.Vemireddy
Comparative analyses of genomic DNA extracted from freshwater fish tissues preserved in formaldehyde and alcohol in different periods of timeR. K. Garg, Khushboo Sengar, R. K. Singh
In vitro propagation of chia (Salvia hispanica L.) and assessment of genetic fidelity using random amplified polymorphic DNA and intersimple sequence repeat molecular markersAnita Yadav, S L Kothari, Sumita Kachhwaha, Anuja Joshi
Assessment of plant genetic variations using molecular markers: A reviewHasnain Hussain, Mehvish Nisar
Effect of nutrient media enhanced with plant growth regulators on genetic stability in sub-cultures of Digitalis purpurea callusMohammed Ahmed AL-Oqab, Salim Zaid, Youssef Al-Ammouri, Shawqi H. Alawdi