Isolation and partial characterization of serine proteases from jellyfish of the Antarctic region
Published:  Nov 11, 2022DOI: 10.7324/JABB.2023.110214
The growing demand for industrial proteases and enzyme-containing products substantiates the search for cost-effective sources of enzymes. The aim of current research was to find a one-step approach for the isolation of the fraction of serine proteases from the jellyfish of the Antarctic region. Given our data, ion-exchange chromatography on diethylaminoethyl-sepharose carboxymethyl-sepharose was ineffective, in contrast to affinity chromatography on benzamidine-sepharose. The isolated fraction consists of enzymes with a molecular weight of more than 30 kDa and isoelectric points at pH = 3.0; 5.0–6.0 and pH = 9.0, which can break down gelatin, casein, and fibrinogen. The maximal proteolytic activity was found at pH = 12.0 and a temperature of +55°C. Serine proteases showed activity against the chromogenic substrate for trypsin and had no activity against substrates for chymotrypsin and elastase indicating that enzymes are trypsin-like proteases. The presence of enzymes with fibrino(geno)lytic activity and the ability of serine proteases from jellyfish to work at high pH and temperatures suggest their potential use as thrombolytics, as well as agents in the industries requiring a highly alkaline conditions.
Raksha N, Halenova T, Vovk T, Beregova T, Maievska T, Tomchuk V, Savchuk O, Ostapchenko L. Isolation and partial characterization of serine proteases from jellyfish of the Antarctic region. J App Biol Biotech. 2022. https://doi.org/10.7324/JABB.2023.110214
1. Jablaoui A, Kriaa A, Akermi N, Mkaouar H, Gargouri A, Maguin E, et al. Biotechnological applications of serine proteases: A patentreview. Recent Pat Biotechnol 2018;12:280-7. https://doi.org/10.2174/1872208312666180924112007
2. Thakur N, Goyal M, Sharma S, Kumar D. Proteases: Industrial applications and approaches used in strain improvement. Int J 2018;10:158-67.
3. Rai SK, Mukherjee AK. Ecological significance and some biotechnological application of an organic solvent stable alkaline serine protease from Bacillus subtilis strain DM-04. Bioresour Technol 2009;100:2642-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2008.11.042
4. Karaboga MN, Logoglu E. Purification of alkaline serine protease from local bacillus subtilis M33 by two steps: A novel organic solvent and detergent tolerant enzyme. Gazi Univ J Sci 2019;32:116-29.
5. Ideia P, Pinto J, Ferreira R, Figueiredo L, Spínola V, Castilho PC. Fish processing industry residues: A review of valuable products extraction and characterization methods. Waste Biomass Valorization 2019;11:3223-46. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12649-019-00739-1
6. Bradford MM. A rapid and sensitive method for the quantitation of microgram quantities of protein utilizing the principle of protein-dye binding. Anal Biochem 1976;72:248-54. https://doi.org/10.1016/0003-2697(76)90527-3
7. Laemmli UK. Cleavage of structural proteins during the assembly of the head of bacteriophage T4. Nature 1970;227:680-5. https://doi.org/10.1038/227680a0
8. Ostapchenko L, Savchuk O, Burlova-Vasilieva N. Enzyme electrophoresis method in analysis of active components of haemostasis system. Adv Biosci Biotech 2011;2:20-6. https://doi.org/10.4236/abb.2011.21004
9. 2-D Electrophoresis Principles and Methods Amersham Biosciences. Little Chalfon: UK Limited Amersham Place; 2004. p. 168.
10. Munilla-Moran R, Stark JR. Protein digestion in early turbot larvae, Scophthalmus maximus (L.). Aquaculture 1989;8:315-27. https://doi.org/10.1016/0044-8486(89)90156-7
11. Raksha N, Halenova T, Kravchenko O, Vovk T, Savchuk O, Ostapchenko L. Purification and biochemical characterization of trypsin-like enzyme from Antarctic hydrobiont Adamussium colbecki. Res J Biotech 2020;15:1-7.
12. Raksha NG, Gladun DV, Savchuk OM, Ostapchenko LI. New fibrinogenases isolated from marine hydrobiont Adamussium colbecki. J Biochem Int 2016;3:21-30.
13. Bae SK, Lee H, Heo Y, Pyo MJ, Choudhary I, Han CH, et al. In vitro characterization of jellyfish venom fibrin (ogen) olytic enzymes from Nemopilema nomurai. J Venom Anim Toxins Incl Trop Dis 2017;23:35. https://doi.org/10.1186/s40409-017-0125-8
14. Singh J, Vohra RM, Sahoo DK. Purification and characterization of two extracellular alkaline proteases from a newly isolated obligate alkalophilic Bacillus sphaericus. J Ind Microbiol Biotechnol 2001;26:387-93. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.jim.7000151
15. Veiga SS, Da Silveira RB, Dreyfus JL, Haoach J, Pereira AM, Mangili OC, et al. Identification of high molecular weight serine-proteases in Loxosceles intermedia (brown spider) venom. Toxicon 2000;38:825-39. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0041-0101(99)00197-X
16. Henrique B. Purification and characterization of trypsin-like enzyme from the pyloric caeca of cod (Gadus morhud) II I B.L. Arch Biol Technol 2001;44:33-40. https://doi.org/10.1590/S1516-89132001000100005
17. Bougatef A, Balti R, Nasri R, Jellouli K, Souissi N, Nasri M. Biochemical properties of anionic trypsin acting at high concentration of NaCl purified from the intestine of a carnivorous fish: Smooth hound (Mustelus mustelus). J Agric Food Chem 2010;58:5763-9. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf100534a
18. Kimoio K, Kusama S, Murakami K. Purification and characterization of serine proteinases from Euphausia superba. Agric Biol Chem1983;47:529-34. https://doi.org/10.1080/00021369.1983.10865676
19. Sakharov IY, Litvin FE, Artyukov AA. Purification and characterization of two serine collagenolytic proteases from crab Paralithodes camtschatica. Comp Biochem Physiol Biochem Mol Biol 1994;108:561-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/0305-0491(94)90110-4
20. Huang Q, Peng Y, Li X, Wang H, Zhang Y. Purification and characterization of an extracellular alkaline serine protease with dehairing function from Bacillus pumilus. Curr Microbiol 2003;46:169-73. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00284-002-3850-2
0 Absract views 1 PDF Downloads 1 Total views
Isolation and identification of Salmonella spp. from broiler and their antibiogram study in Sylhet, BangladeshMd. Jakirul Islam, A. T. M. Mahbub-E-Elahi, Tanvir Ahmed, Md. Kamrul Hasan
Comparative analysis of metagenomic DNA extraction methods from gut microbiota of zebrafish (Danio rerio) for downstream next-generation sequencingVenetia D#;Rose, Tina Kollannoor Johny, Sarita Bhat
An efficient algae cell wall disruption methodology for recovery of intact chloroplasts from microalgaeSmita Patil, Arvind M Lali, Gunjan Prakash
Distribution and diversity of endophytic fungi associated with three medicinal tree species from Eturnagaram Wildlife Sanctuary, TS, IndiaBhavani Vemireddy, Abhinesh Madasi, Aruna Ajmeera, Krishna Reddy Vanteru
Molecular characterization and antibacterial properties of endophytic fungi Lasidiplodia theobromae in Lobelia nicotianifolia Roth ex Schult. of central Western Ghats of Karnataka, IndiaKrishnappa Vinu, Maddappa Krishnappa, Venkatarangaiah Krishna