Postharvest quality maintenance of tomatoes is very crucial because of its perishable nature. Calcium, directly involved in the physiological process and enzymatic activities, thereby helps in maintaining the postharvest quality. Increasing calcium concentration reduces respiration and ethylene production in succession; it increases the shelf life and quality of tomatoes. Hence, a field experiment was conducted with different sources and levels of Ca, namely, calcium sulfate, calcium nitrate, calcium silicate, poultry manure, and press mud applied at 0, 20, 40, 60, and 80 kg Ca ha−1. Ripened tomatoes were harvested from each plot. Eight fruits were selected randomly from every treatment and divided into destructive and nondestructive samples, arranged in a factorial completely randomized block design for conducting a storage study. Shelf life, ascorbic acid, lycopene, beta-carotene, and polygalacturonase were analyzed at a 5-day interval up to 15 days. The results revealed that the effect of calcium sources had significant (p ≤ 0.05) impacts on fruit quality. The tomatoes harvested from poultry manure retained the highest shelf life (15 days) at 80 kg Ca ha−1 and the highest ascorbic acid content (37.5 mg 100 g−1) at 60 kg Ca ha−1. However, the lowest lycopene (2.86 mg 100 g−1), beta-carotene (1.81 mg 100 g−1), and lesser polygalacturonase activity (1.99 kj m−2) were obtained with poultry manure at 80 kg Ca ha−1. From the results procured in this experiment, it was inferred that the application of poultry manure at 80 kg Ca ha−1 was found to be effective in improving the quality attributes of hybrid tomato as it imparts multiple essential nutrients along with calcium.
Salma Santhosh S, Chitdeshwari T, Kavitha C. Calcium influences biochemical and antioxidant enzymatic activities in tomato fruits during storage. J Appl Biol Biotech, 2022. https://doi.org/10.7324/JABB.2023.110216
1. Story EN, Rachel E, Kopec Steven J, Schwartz, Harris GK. An update on the health effects of tomato lycopene. Annu Rev Food Sci Technol 2010;1:189-210. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.food.102308.124120
2. Azad MAK, Islam MS, Hossen MI, Eaton TEJ. Yield and fruit quality of tomato as influenced by calcium and mulching in rooftop cultivation. Agric Sci 2019;10(07):893. https://doi.org/10.4236/as.2019.107068
3. Afsana N, Islam MM, Hossain ME, Nizam R, Monalesa N, Hussain MA, et al. Response of tomato (Solanum lycopersicum L.) to salicylic acid and calcium. J Appl Life Sci Int 2017;15:1-7. https://doi.org/10.9734/JALSI/2017/37408
4. Dragan Ž, Ban D, Oplani M, Kari L. Influence of post-harvest temperatures on physicochemical quality of tomatoes (Lycopersicon esculentum Mill.). J Food Agric Environ 2010;8(1):21-5.
5. Teka TA. Analysis of the effect of maturity stage on the post-harvest biochemical quality characteristic of tomato fruit. Int Res J Pharm Appl Sci 2013;3(5):180-6.
6. Tola M. Tomato value chain analysis in the central rift valley: the case of DugdaWoreda, East Shoa Zone, Oromia, Ethiopia. MSc Thesis, Haramaya University, Dire Dawa, Ethiopia, 2014.
7. Awas G, Abdisa T, Tolosa K, Chali A. Effect of inter-row spacing with double row arrangement on yield and yield component of tomato (Lycopersicon esculuntum Mill.) at Adami Tulu agricultural research center (Central rift valley of Oromia, Ethiopia). Afr J Agric Res 2010;6(13):2978-81.
8. Zhu Z, Chen Y, Zhang X, Li M. Effect of foliar treatment of sodium selenate on postharvest decay and quality of tomato fruits. Sci Hortic 2016;198:304-10. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scienta.2015.12.002
9. Kapsiya J, Gungula DT, Tame VT, Bukar N. Effects of storage chemicals and packaging systems on physicochemical characteristics of tomato (Solanum lycopersicum L.) fruits. AASCIT J Biosci 2015;1(3): 41-6.
10. Ali S, Javed HU, Rehman RNU, Sabir IA, Naeem, MS, Siddiqui MZ, et al. Foliar application of some macro and micro nutrients improves tomato growth, flowering and yield. Int J Biosci 2013;3(10):280-7. https://doi.org/10.12692/ijb/3.10.280-287
11. Pila N, Gol NB, Rao TVR. Effect of post-harvest treatments on physicochemical characteristics and shelf life of tomato (Lycopersicon esculentum Mill.) fruits during storage. Am Euras J Agric Environ Sci 2010;9:470-9.
12. Haleema B, Rab A, Hussain SA, Sajid M, Arif M, Shah ST, et al. Influence of calcium concentrations and sources on the fruit quality of tomato (Lycopersicon esculentum mill) at different storage conditions. Fresenius Environ Bull 2020;29(3):1866-77.
13. Bakshi M, Liné C, Bedolla DE, Stein RJ, Kaegi R, Sarret G, et al. Assessing the impacts of sewage sludge amendment containing nano-TiO2 on tomato plants: a life cycle study. J Hazard Mater 2019;369:191-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2019.02.036
14. Gao L, Gonda I, Sun H, Ma Q, Bao K, Tieman DM, et al. The tomato pan-genome uncovers new genes and a rare allele regulating fruit flavor. Nat Genet 2019;51(6):1044-51. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41588-019-0410-2
15. Hocking B, Tyerman SD, Burton RA, Gilliham M. Fruit calcium: transport and physiology. Front Plant Sci 2016;7:569. https://doi.org/10.3389/fpls.2016.00569
16. Tilahun S, Park DS, Taye AM, Jeong CS. Effects of storage duration on physicochemical and antioxidant properties of tomato (Lycopersicon esculentum Mill.). Korean J Hortic Sci Technol 2017;35(1):88-97. https://doi.org/10.12972/kjhst.20170010
17. Metkar S, Saptarshi S, Kadam A. Studies on extraction, isolation and applications of lycopene. Indo Am J Pharm Res 2014;3(4):234-42.
18. Moneruzzaman KM, Hossain ABMS, Sani W, Saifuddin M, Alenazi M. Effect of harvesting and storage conditions on the post harvest quality of tomato (Lycopersicon esculentum Mill) cv. Roma VF. Aust J Crop Sci 2009;3(2):113.
19. N'Dri D, Calani L, Mazzeo T, Scazzina F, Rinaldi M, Del Rio D, et al. Effects of different maturity stages on antioxidant content of Ivorian Gnagnan (Solanum indicum L.) berries. Molecules 2010;15(10):7125-38. https://doi.org/10.3390/molecules15107125
20. Nour V, Ionica ME, Trandafir I. Bread enriched in lycopene and other bioactive compounds by addition of dry tomato waste. J Food Sci Technol 2015;52(12):8260-7. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13197-015-1934-9
21. Dinis LT, Bernardo S, Conde A, Pimentel D, Ferreira H, Félix L, et al. Kaolin exogenous application boosts antioxidant capacity and phenolic content in berries and leaves of grapevine under summer stress. J Plant Physiol 2016;191:45-53. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jplph.2015.12.005
22. Kushwaha R, Singh M, Singh V, Puranik V, Kaur D. Variation of bioactive compounds and antioxidant activity during ripening of tomato cultivars. J Food Agric Res 2021;1(1):15-29.
23. Liu L, Shao Z, Zhang M, Wang Q. Regulation of carotenoid metabolism in tomato. Mol Plant 2015;8(1):28-39. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.molp.2014.11.006
24. Kumar N, Kaur P, Devgan K, Attkan, AK. Shelf life prolongation of cherry tomato using magnesium hydroxide reinforced bionanocomposite and conventional plastic films. J Food Process Preserv 2020;44(4):e14379. https://doi.org/10.1111/jfpp.14379
25. Ilahy R, Hdider C, Lenucci MS, Tlili I, Dalessandro G. Antioxidant activity and bioactive compound changes during fruit ripening of high-lycopene tomato cultivars. J Food Compos Anal 2011;24(4- 5):588-95. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfca.2010.11.003
26. Williamson DD, Benkeblia N. Effects of gibberellic acid and calcium chloride on colour, phenolic compounds, carotenoids and quality attributes of white cabbage (Brassica oleracea) during storage under refrigeration. Int J Food Sci Nutr Diet 2015;4(7):239-45. https://doi.org/10.19070/2326-3350-1500043
27. Demes R, Satheesh N, Fanta SW. Effect of different concentrations of the gibberellic acid and calcium chloride dipping on quality and shelflife of Kochoro variety tomato. Philipp J Sci 2021;150(1):335-49.
28. Oliveira RQ, Rosa CA, Uetanabaro APT, Azeredo A, Neto AG, Assis SA. Polygalacturonase secreted by yeasts from Brazilian semi-arid environments. Int J Food Sci Nutr 2009;60(7):72-80. https://doi.org/10.1080/09637480802534517
29. Barka EA, Kalantari S, Makhlouf J, Arul J. Impact of UV-C irradiation on the cell wall-degrading enzymes during ripening of tomato (Lycopersicon esculentum L.) fruit. J Agric Food Chem 2000;48(3):667-71. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf9906174
30. Paniagua C, Ric-Varas P, García-Gago JA, López-Casado G, Blanco-Portales R, Muñoz-Blanco J, et al. Elucidating the role of polygalacturonase genes in strawberry fruit softening. J Exp Bot 2020;71(22):7103-17. https://doi.org/10.1093/jxb/eraa398
31. Cabanne C, Doneche B. Changes in polygalacturonase activity and calcium content during ripening of grape berries. Am J Ecol Vitic 2001;52(4):331-5.
32. Coutinho PWR, de Moraes Echer M, Braga GC, Guimarães VF, do Carmo Lana M, Alves TN, et al. Effect of pre-harvest calcium silicate on post-harvest quality of tomatoes. Res Soc Dev 2020;9(11):e74791110148. https://doi.org/10.33448/rsd-v9i11.10148
33. Tejashvini A, Subbarayappa CT, Ramamurthy V, Mukunda GK. Influence of calcium and boron application on quality of tomato. J Pharmacogn Phytochem 2021;10(1):549-52.
34. Shehata SA, Abdelrahman SZ, Megahed M, Abdeldaym EA, El-Mogy MM, Abdelgawad KF. Extending shelf life and maintaining quality of tomato fruit by calcium chloride, hydrogen peroxide, chitosan, and ozonated water. Horticulturae 2021;7(9):309. https://doi.org/10.3390/horticulturae7090309
35 Absract views 22 PDF Downloads 57 Total views
Biocontrol efficacy of Trichoderma spp. against wilt of tomato caused by Fusarium oxysporum f. sp. lycopersiciS. Sundaramoorthy and P. Balabaskar
Production, characterization and optimization of fermented tomato and carrot juices by using Lysinibacillus sphaericus isolateNaga Sivudu Seelam, Harika Akula, Umamahesh Katike, Vijaya Sarathi Reddy Obulam
Hypolipidemic effects of Lysinibacillus sphaericus fermented tomato and carrot juices in high-fat diet-fed albino Wistar ratsNaga Sivudu Seelam, Umamahesh Katike, Peddanna Kotha, Harika Akula, Vijaya Sarathi Reddy Obulam
Factors affecting the chitinase activity of Trichoderma asperellum isolated from agriculture field soilsNdiogou Gueye, G Kranthi Kumar, Malick Ndiaye, S Y Dienaba Sall, Mame Arama Fall Ndiaye, Tahir A Diop, M Raghu Ram
Study of pathogenic traits of bacterial wilt-causing phytopathogens around Kanpur and Fatehpur regions, Uttar Pradesh, IndiaPramila Devi Umrao, Vineet Kumar, Shilpa Deshpande Kaistha
Application of intermittent vacuum treatment on the osmotic dehydration of black cherry tomatoes (Solanum lycopersicum cv. OG)Ho Thi Ngan Ha,, Nguyen Minh Thuy
Optimization production of thermo active levansucrase from Bacillus subtilis Natto CCT 7712Bruna Caroline Marques Gonçalves, Janaina Mantovan, Mara Lúcia Luis Ribeiro, Dionísio Borsato, Maria Antonia Pedrine Colabone Celligoi
Enzymes and qualitative phytochemical screening of endophytic fungi isolated from Lantana camara Linn. LeavesMbouobda Hermann Desire , Fotso Bernard , Muyang Rosaline Forsah , Chiatoh Thaddeus Assang, Omokolo Ndoumou Denis
Production and Characterization of Alkaline Phosphatase Produced by Bacillus SpeciesSuganya Kannaiyram, Ravikumar Vedhachalam, Murugan Thanigaimalai
Impact of Phyllanthus amarus extract on antioxidant enzymes in Drosophila melanogasterN. Manasa, J. S. Ashadevi
Enhanced fibrinolytic protease production by Serratia marcescens RSPB11 through Plackett-Burman and response surface methodological approachesParuchuru Lakshmi Bhargavi, Reddy Shetty Prakasham
The Characterization of Amylolytic Enzyme Present in Fermented Sweet Sap of PalmyrahArumugam Vengadaramana, Mehala Uthayasooriyan, Thananthika Sittampalam, Nirosha Razeek, Ranganathan Kapilan
Production and Characterization of Collagenase by Penicillium sp. UCP 1286 Isolated From Caatinga SoilMaria Carolina de Albuquerque Wanderley , Jose Manoel Wanderley Duarte Neto, Carolina de Albuquerque Lima, Sara Isabel da Cruz Silverio, Jose Luiz de Lima Filho, Jose Antonio Couto Teixeira, Ana Lucia Figueiredo Porto
Physiological and biochemical characterization of Sesamum germplasms tolerant to NaClTapaswini Hota, C. Pradhan, G. R. Rout
Enzymatic responses of Clarias gariepinus (Burchell, 1822) exposed to sub-lethal concentrations of an oilfield wastewaterNedie Patience Akani, Ugwemorubon Ujagwung Gabriel
Effect of various dietary fats supplementation on the liver glycogen, protein and digestive enzymes activities in striped murrel, Channa striatusRajesh Dayal, Prem Prakash Srivastava , Joykrushna Jena, Sudhir Raizada, Akhilesh Kumar Yadav, Anita Bhatnagar, Shipra Chowdhary
Trichoderma oligosaccharides priming mediates resistance responses in pearl millet against downy mildew pathogenBoregowda Nandini, Puttaswamy Hariprasad, Harischandra Sripathy Prakash, Nagaraja Geetha
Fermentative Production of Microbial Enzymes and their Applications: Present status and future prospectsViswanath Vittaladevaram
Morphological, enzymatic screening, and phylogenetic analysis of thermophilic bacilli isolated from five hot springs of Myagdi, NepalPunam Yadav , Suresh Korpole, Gandham S Prasad, Girish Sahni , Jyoti Maharjan, Lakshmaiah Sreerama, Tribikram Bhattarai
Cold-active enzymes in food biotechnology: An updated mini reviewMohammed Kuddus
Aroclor 1254 induced oxidative stress and histopathological changes in mice liverJalpa Raja, Shweta Pathak, Rahul Kundu
A study of endophytic fungi Neofusicoccum ribis from Gandaria (Bouea macrophylla Griffith) as enzyme inhibitor, antibacterial, and antioxidantTrisanti Anindyawati, Praptiwi
The effects of diet and temperature on enzymes, hormones, and fecundity of the African Catfish Clarias gariepinus (Burchell 1822)Waleed Abdul-Aziz A. Al-Deghayem, El Amin Mohamed Suliman
Investigation of morphological, phytochemical, and enzymatic characteristics of Anethum graveolens L. using selenium in combination with humic acid and fulvic acidParviz Samavatipour, Vahid Abdossi, Reza Salehi, Saeed Samavat,Alireza Ladan Moghadam
A study on the salinity stress effects on the biochemical traits of seedlings and its relationship with resistance toward sensitive and tolerant flax genotypesYousef Alaei, Seyed Kamal Kazemitabar, Mohammad Zaefi Zadeh, Hamid Najafi Zarini, Gaffar Kiani
Role of glutathione reductase and catalase enzyme in antioxidant defense mechanism in controlling fluoride-induced oxidative stressKomal Sharma, Mamta Choudhary, Khushbu Verma
Dye degradation potential and its degradative enzymes synthesis of Bacillus cereus SKB12 isolated from a textile industrial effluentThangaraj Sheela, Senthil Kumar Sadasivam
Purification and characterization of an iron-activated alkaline phosphatase produced by Rhizopus microsporus var. microsporus under submerged fermentation using rye flourPedro Henrique de Oliveira Ornela, Luis Henrique Souza Guimarães
Determination of the activity and kinetics parameters of proteases in the crude plant extracts of Mentha piperita L. and Thymus capitatus L.Omar Mohammad Atrooz, Fatmah Nasser Alomari
Health endorsing potential of Lactobacillus plantarum MBTU-HK1 and MBTU-HT of Honey bee gut originHoney Chandran Chundakkattumalayil, Keerthi Thalakattil Raghavan
Comparative transcriptomic analysis of Aspergillus niger cultured in peanut or cashew nut flour based mediaChristopher P. Mattison, Brian M. Mack, Jeffrey W. Cary
Qualitative and quantitative analysis of Precocene II, estimation of enzymatic, nonenzymatic antioxidant, and cytotoxic potentials of methyl jasmonate-elicited shoot culture of Ageratum conyzoides Linn.Selvaraj Vasantharani, Ramaraj Thirugnanasampandan, Gunasekaran Bhuvaneswari
Purification and characterization of a polygalacturonase from the xylophagous insect Oncideres albomarginata chamela (Coleoptera: Cerambycidae)Alicia Lara-Márquez, Nayeli Soria-Calderón, Maria Guadalupe Villa-Rivera, Everardo López-Romero, Nancy Calderón-Cortés
Media optimization for the production of alkaline protease by Bacillus cereus PW3A using response surface methodologyGururaj B. Tennalli, Soumya Garawadmath, Lisa Sequeira, Shreya Murudi, Vaibhavi Patil, Manisha N. Divate, Basavaraj S. Hungund
Statistical optimization of asparaginase production by a novel isolated bacterium Brevibacillus borstelensis ML12 using Plackett–Burman design and response surface methodologyRupkatha Mukherjee, Debabrata Bera
Health-related risk of SARS-CoV-2 infection in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease patients: A systematic reviewMeenakshi S, Raghunath N, Vishal B Rawal, Ramith Ramu
Isolation and characterization of starch degrading bacteria from disparate soil samplesVidhyutha Srivathsan, Mahima Bhandari, Priya Swaminathan
Industrial biotechnology: An Indian perspectiveKumud Tiwari, Garima Singh, Gajender Singh, Sonika Kumari Sharma, Samarendra Kumar Singh
In silico modeling, docking of ThPON1-like protein, and in vitro validation of pesticide tolerance in Trichoderma harzianumArchana Kumari, Krishna Sundari Sattiraju
Engineering to enhance thermostability of xylanase: For the new era of biotechnologyChitranshu Pandey, Pallavi Sharma, Neeraj Gupta
Endophytic Fungi as Emerging Bioresources for Bioactive Compounds for Sustainable DevelopmentDivjot Kour, Neelam Yadav, Ajar Nath Yadav
Microbes mediated plastic degradation: A sustainable approach for environmental sustainabilityHarpreet Kour, Sofia Shareif Khan, Divjot Kour, Shafaq Rasool, Yash Pal Sharma, Pankaj Kumar Rai, Sangram Singh, Kundan Kumar Chaubey, Ashutosh Kumar Rai, Ajar Nath Yadav