Published:  Aug 24, 2015DOI: 10.7324/JABB.2015.3401
Collosobruchus maculatus is a weevil that has been causing great damage to cowpeas especially in the stores. Therefore, there is need to search for biopesticides that can be used to control the pest rather than using synthetic chemicals. In this work different concentrations of Agave sisilana n-hexane extract were prepared using two-fold dilution at 100, 50, 25, 12.5, 6.25, 3.125 and 1.5625 mg/ml and were used to treat 40 selected beans in different kilner jars. The treated beans were infested with ten (10) identified female and male C. mauculatus each. The result shows that the insect was more killed by the extract at concentration greater than 50 mg/ml. The plant extract was effective against the oviposition and survival of larvae and pupae when compared with the untreated control. In conclusion, the extract of has great potential for use as a plant-based biopesticide for controlling C. maculatus.
Chrinius Hammuel, Musa Mohammed, Olalekan Babatunde Adesina, Usman Jajere Mohammed, Eprhaim Akuaden Audu, Suleiman Bala. The Efficacy of Agave Sisalana n- Hexane Extract in the Control of Callosobruchus Maculatus (Fabricius) (Colloptera: Bruchidae) Pest. J App Biol Biotech. 2015; 3 (04): 001-003. DOI: 10.7324/JABB.2015.3401
1. Ofuya TI, Olotuah OF, Akinyoade DO. The Effect of Storage on the Efficacy of Eugenia Aromatica (Baill.) in the control of Callosobruchus Maculatus (Fabricius) (Coleoptera: Bruchidae) Pest. Journal of Applied Science Environmental Management. 2010; 14(1): 97-100.
2. Ayvaz A, Sagdic O, Karaborklu S, Ozturk I. Insecticidal activity of the essential oils from different plants against three stored-product insects. Journal of Insect Science. 2010; 10: 13
3. Johnson JA, Valero KA, Hannel MM. Effect of low temperature storage on survival and reproduction of Indian meal moth (Lepidoptera: Pyralidae). Journal of Crop Protection. 1997; 16: 519-523.
4. Muthomi JW, Otieno PE, Chemining’wa GN, Nderitu JH. Effect of Chemical Pesticide Spray on Insect Pests and Yield of Food Grain Legumes. African Crop science conference proceedings. 2007; 8:981-986.
5. Osekre EA, Ayertey IN. Control of the cowpea beetle, Callosobruchus maculatus (F.) (Coleoptera: Bruchidae), on stored cowpea using vegetable oils. Ghana Journal of Agricultural Science. 2002; 35: 103-110.
6. Ayvaz A, Albayrak S, Karaborklu S. Gamma radiation sensitivity of the eggs, larvae and pupae of Indian meal moth Plodia interpunctella (Hübner) (Lepidoptera: Pyralidae). Journal of Pest Management Science. 2008; 64:505-512.
7. Awoyinka OA, Oyewole IO, Amos BMW, Onasoga OF. Comparative pesticidal activity of dichloromethane extracts of Piper nigrum against Sitophilus zeamais and Callosobruchus maculates. 2006; 5 (24), pp. 2446-2449.
8. Abdullahi N. Studies on the Efficacy of Leaf Extract of Balanites aegyptiaca on the Oviposition and Survival of Immature Stages (Larvae and Pupae) of Callasobruchus maculatus (f.) on Treated Cowpea Seed. Bayero Journal of Pure and Applied Sciences. 2011; 4(1): 40-43.
9. Raja N, Babu A, Dorn S, Ignacimuthu S. Potential of plants for protecting stored pulses from Callosobruchus maculates (Coleoptera: Bruchidae) infestation. Biological Agriculture and Horticulture Journal. 2001; 19(1):19-27.
10. Hall JS, Harman GE. Protection of stored legume seeds against attack by storage fungi and weevils: Mechanisms of action of oil seed treatment. Journal of Crop Protection. 1991; 10: 375-80.
11. Boateng BA, Kusi F. Toxicity of Jatropha seed oil to Callasobruchus maculatus(F) (Coleoptera:Bruchidae) and its parasitoid, Dinarmus basalis (Hymeneptera :Pteromalidae ) Journal of applied Sciences Research. 2008; 4(8):945-951
415 Absract views 261 PDF Downloads 676 Total views