Published:  Apr 27, 2014DOI: 10.7324/JABB.2014.2203
The incidence of the viral and bacterial diseases viz. flacherie and grasserie caused large mortality to the muga silkworm, Antheraea assamensis Helfer thereby affected the cocoon silk production. It was observed that the application of 0.01 % of NaOCl to the silkworms at larval instars, reduced the mortality due to bacterial and viral diseases quite significantly (P
N. Ibotombi Singh, Dulal Goswami, Mushtaq Ahmed and K. Giridhar. Efficacy of Sodium Hypochlorite in Controlling Viral and Bacterial Diseases in Muga Silkworm, Antheraea Assamensis Helfer. J App Biol Biotech. 2014; 2 (02): 012-015.
1. Choudhury, S.N. Muga Silk Industry, Directorate of Sericulture, Govt. of Assam; 1970.
2. Thangavalu, K., Chakravorty, A.K., Bhagabati, A.K. Hand book of Muga culture. Pp 75-84; 1988.
3. Das, K., Borah, A., and Chakravorty, R. Seasonal incidence of diseases in muga silkworm Antheraea assamensis Helfer in different muga growing belts. Proc. The 20th Congress of the International Sericulture Commission. 2005; pp 259-263.
4. Chakravorty, R., Das, R., Neog, K., Das, K., Sahu, M. A diagonostic manual for diseases and pest of muga silkworm and their host plants. Published by CMER&TI, Central Silk Board, Lahdoigarh, and Jorhat, Assam. Pp 1-47; 2007.
5. Kagawa, T. The efficacy of formalin as disinfectant of Nosema bombycis spores. J. Seri. Sci. Jpn. 1980: 49(3): 218-222.
6. Kobayashi, H., Sato, F. and Ayuzawa, K. On the disinfecting ability of the mixture of bleaching power and formalin. J. Seric. Sci. Jpn. 1968: 37: 311-318.
7. Ananthalakshmi, K.V.V., Baig, M. and Dutta, R.K. Effect of temperature and duration of treatment on the germicidal activity of selected disinfectants against Nosema bombycis. Current technology seminar on seed technology, Silkworm seed technology laboratory, Kodathi, Bangalore, India, Nov17-18, P 45; 1995.
8. Ishiwata, Y. and Zhou, C.Q. 1988. Inactivation by the treatment of nuclear polyhedrosis virus of the silkworm Bombyx mori L. with calcium hydroxide solution. J. seri. Jpn. 1988: 57:511-518.
9. Balavenkatasubbaiah, M., Nataraju, B and Dutta, R. K. Efficacy of chlorine dioxide and virkon-s as disinfectants against pathogens of silkworm. Bombyx mori L. Current Technology Seminar on Silkworm disease management, Silkworm rearing Technology and Mulberry pathology, October 25-26, Central Sericultural Research and Training, Berhampore, India p.12; 1995.
10. Rai, B. R. and Devaiah, M. C. Effect of antibiotics on the incidence of diseases in silkworm, Bombyx mori L.: International Congress on Tropical Sericulture Practices, Bangalore, India; 1988.
11. Baig, M., Nataraju, B., and Samson, M. V. Studies on the effect of antibiotics on rearing performance and loss due to diseases in silkworm, Bombyx mori. Indian J. Seric. 1980: 29(1): 54-58.
12. Javare Gowda, B. L. and Zhou, C. Q. In vitro evaluation of antifungal antibiotics against the fungus Beauveria bassina (Bals) Vuil, pathogenic to the silkworm, Bombyx mori L. In Recent Trends in Sericulture. Jasti Pramoda Kumari (Eds), S. V. University, Tirupati, India; 1988.
13. Sreedhara, V. M., Shree, M.P., Boraiah, G. A. and Fletcher, R. A. Muscardine disease of silkworm controlled by triazoles. Sericologia. 1991:31: 423-426.
14. Vail, P. V., Henneberry, T. J., Krishaba, A. N. and Arakawa, K.Y. Sodium hypochlorite and formalin antiviral agents against nuclear polyhedrosis virus in larvae of the cabbage looper. J. Invertebr. Pathol. 1968: 10: 84-93.
15. Alok Sahay, Ojha, N. G., Kulshrestha V., Singh, G. P., Roy, D.K. and Suryanarayana, N. Application of sodium hypochlorite for controlling virosis and bacteriosis in tasar silkworm, Antheraea mylitta D. Sericologia. 2008: 48(1):71-79.
16. Rashmimala Kakoti. Impact of environmental factors on outbreak of Diseases in the muga crops, Antheraea assama, Westwood (Lepidoptera: saturniidae), in Kamrup District (Assam). The Bioscan. 2011: 6(1): 103-106.
17. Subha Rao, G., Chandra, A. K. and Bhattacharya, J. Effect of bleaching powder and lime against grasserie and muscardine diseases of silkworm, Bombyx mori L. Indian J. Seric. 1992: 31(1): 37-40.
18. Ignoffo, C. M. and Dutki, S. The effect of sodium hypochlorite on the viability and infectivity of Bacillus and Beauveria spores and cabbage looper nuclear polyhedrosis virus. J. Insect Pathol. 1963: 5, 422-426.
712 Absract views 171 PDF Downloads 883 Total views