Published:  Oct 30, 2017DOI: 10.7324/JABB.2017.50506
Clarias gariepinus culture remains undeveloped in Côte d’Ivoire due to the lack of locally quality feed, fingerlings, and the high cost of imported feed Artemia salina. Because of the importance of feed and feeding strategy in fish fingerling production, beef brain meal was investigated as alternative compounded feed. Feeding trial was completed with five isonitrogenous diets at 35% crude protein formulated by substituting Artemia salina for beef brain (BB) meal on the basis of crude protein at 0% (Control diet), 25% (BB25), 50% (BB50), 75% (BB75) and 100% (BB100) level. Catfish, Clarias gariepinus larvae with an average weight of 0.006 ± 0.001 g were fed with experiment diets in three replicate groups, three times a day (07:00, 12:00 and 17:00 hours) ad libitum 49 days. At the end of rearing period, highest values of growth parameters were recorded from larvae fed with BB100, BB75, and BB50. Beef brain meal increased the dietary total fat when the feed conversion ratio decreased. Fish fed diets BB25 and BB50 recorded the highest values of survival rate. Studies on the best feeding rates and water quality monitoring should be carried out to improve survival of Clarias gariepinus larvae fed with high level of beef brain meal in diet.
Achi AO, Koumi RA, Ossey BY, Yté W, Ouattara IN, Atsé CB. Growth Performance and Survival of Clarias gariepinus Larvae Fed with Varying Inclusions of beef Brain Meal., J App Biol Biotech. 2017; 5 (05): 36-41.
1. Graaf GJ, Galemoni F, Banzoussi B. The artificial reproduction and fingerling production of the African catfish Clarias gariepinus (Burchell 1822) in protected and unprotected ponds. In: Graaf G, editor. The artificial reproduction and pond rearing of the African catfish Clarias gariepinus, Kisumu, KENYA: FAO/UNDP/BSF-KEN/86/027; 1994.p. 1-11.
2. FDF (Federal Department of Fisheries). Fisheries Statistics of Nigeria. 4th Ed. 1995-2007, FDF; 2007.
3. Koumi AR, Kimou BN, Atsé BC, Ouattara IN, Kouamé LP. Fish feeds used in Côte d'Ivoire: Nature, quality, use and productivity. Asian Journal of Agriculture and Food Sciences. 2015; 3 (2): 225-236
4. JICA (Agence Japonaise de Coopération Internationale). Projet de relance de la production piscicole continentale en république de Côte d’Ivoire : Rapport de l’étude d’état des lieux. (JICA), OAFIC CO., LTD. INTEM consulting, INC; 2016.
5. Anetekhai MA, Akin-Oriola GA, Aderinola OJ, Akintola SL. Steps ahead for Aquaculture development in Sub-Saharan African- The case of Nigeria. Aquaculture. 2004; 239:237-248.
6. Adewumi AA, Olaleye VF. Catfish culture in Nigeria: Progress, prospects and problems. African Journal of Agricultural Research. 2011; 6 (6): 1281-1285.
7. Enyidi U, Pirhonen J, Vielma J. Effects of substituting soybean (Glycine max) meal with Bambaranut (Voandzeia subterranea) meal on growth performance and survival of African catfish (Clarias gariepinus) larvae. International Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Studies. 2014; 1 (3):152-157.
8. Yakubu AF, Nwogu NA, Olaji ED, Adams TE. Impact of three-different commercial feed on the growth and survival of Clarias gariepinus Burchell, 1822 fry in aquaria glass tanks. American Journal of Experimental Agriculture. 2015; 9 (1): 1-6.
9. Ayinla OA. Nutritive and Reproductive Performance of Clarias gariepinus (Burchell 1822). Ph.D Thesis, University of Ibadan, Nigeria; 1988.
10. Pector RA. Comparative study on the use of different preparations of decapsulated Artemia cysts as food for rearing African catfish (Clarias gariepinus) larvae. Journal of World Aquaculture Society. 1994; 25 (3):320-324.
11. Olurin KB, Iwuchukwu PO, Oladapo O. Larval rearing of African catfish, Clarias gariepinus fed capsulated Artemia, wild copepods or commercial diet. African Journal of food Sciences and Technology. 2012; 3 (8):182-185.
12. Ajepe RG, Hammed AM, Amosu AO, Fashina-Bombata HA. Comparative Study of Artemia (Brine Shrimp) and Ceriodaphnia (Zooplankton) as Foods for Catfish Larvae. American Journal of Experimental Agriculture. 2014; 4 (7): 857-865.
13. Adewumi AA. Growth performance and survival of Clarias gariepinus hatchlings fed different starter diets. European Journal of Experimental Biology. 2015; 5 (3):1-5.
14. Ben Naceur H, Ben Rejeb Jenhani A, Romdhane MS. Valorisation de l’Artemia (crustacea; branchiopoda) de la saline (Sahel tunisien). Bulletin de la Société Zoologie. 2008; 133 : 185-192
15. Faruque MM, Kawser Ahmed MD, Quddus MMA. Use of live food and artificial diet supply for the growth and survival of African catfish (Clarias gariepinus) larvae. World Journal of Zoology. 2010; 5 (2): 82-89.
16. Appelbaum S, McGeer JC. Effect of diet and light regime on growth and survival of African catfish (Clarias gariepinus) larvae and early juveniles. Aquaculture Nutrition. 2002. 4 (3): 157-164.
17. Ossey YB, Koumi AR, Koffi KM, Atsé BC, Kouamé PL. Growth performance, feed efficiency and body composition of larvae H. longifilis fed different beef brain meal dietary protein levels. International Journal of Sciences and Research. 2014. 3 (7): 2319-7064.
18. Achi OA, Koumi AR., Ouattara NI, Ossey YB, Atsé BC. Effects of Artemia Salina Substitution by Maggot Meal on Growth Performance and Body Composition of Africa Catfish Heterobranchus Longifilis (Valenciennes, 1840) Larvae. Journal of Animal Science Advances. 2016; 6 (10):1786-1793.
19. Ossey YB, Koumi AR, Koffi KM, Atsé BC, Kouamé LP. Growth performance, feed efficiency and body composition of larvae H. longifilis fed different beef brain meal dietary protein levels. International Journal of Science and Research. 2012a; 3 (7): 1964-1969.
20. Ossey YB, Koumi AR, Koffi KM, Atsé BC, Kouamé PL. Utilisation du soja de la cervelle bovine et de l’asticot comme source de protéines alimentaires chez les larves de Heterobranchus longifilis (Valenciennes, 1840) Journal of Animal & Plant Sciences. 2012b; 15 (1): 2099-2108.
21. Slembrouck J, Legendre M. Aspects techniques de la reproduction contrôlée de Heterobranchus longifilis (Clariidae). Document Technique Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire : Centre de Recherches Océanologiques ; 1988.
22. Koumi AR. Substitution de la farine de poisson par le tourteau de soja dans l’alimentation de Heterobranchus longifilis Valenciennes, 1840, Sarotherodon melanotheron Rüppell, 1852 et Oreochromis niloticus (Linné, 1758) : Influence sur la qualité du milieu d’élevage, la croissance et la valeur nutritive des poissons. Thèse de Doctorat, Université Nangui Abrogoua, Côte d’Ivoire, 2010.
23. Legendre M. Seasonal changes in sexual maturity and fecundity and HCG-induced breeding of the catfish, Heterobranchus longifilis Val. (Claridae), reared in Ebrié Lagoon (Ivory Coast). Aquaculture. 1986; 55: 201-213.
24. Hecht T, Appelbaum A. Observations on intraspecific aggression and coeval sibling cannibalism by larval and juvenile Clarias gariepinus (Clariidae: Pisces) under controlled conditions. Journal of Zoologie. 1988; 214: 21- 44.
25. Haylor GS. Controlled hatchery production of Clarias gariepinus (Burchell). Growth and survival of fry at hight stocking density. Aquatic. Fishery Management. 1992; 23: 303-314.
26. AOAC. International Official Methods of Analysis. 18th ed. Gaithersburg, MD: AOAC international; 2005.
27. Luquet P, Moreau Y. Energy-protein management by some Warm Water fin fishes. Actes du colloque 9 Paris, France: AQUACOP, IFREMER; 1989.
28. Lee DJ, Sinnhuber RO. Lipid requirements. In: Halver JE, Editor. Fish Nutrition, New York: Academic Press; 1972, p. 145 - 180.
29. Keremah IR, Terimokumo T. Effects of dietary lipid sources on growth and survival of Mudfish Heterobranchus longifilis Fingerlings. Journal of Applied Biology & Biotechnology. 2014; 2 (01): 009-012.
30. Sarkar SK. Fresh water fish culture. Vol. 1 Delhi-110035: Daya Publishing House; 2002.
31. Stickney RR, Hardy RW. Lipid requirements of some warm water species. Aquaculture. 1989; 79:145-156.
32. Ergun S, Yigit M, Tucker A. Harmantepe B Partial replacement of fish meal by defatted soybean meal in diets for black sea turbot (Psetta maeotica): Growth and nutrient utilization in winter. Israeli Journal of Aquaculture-Bamidgeh. 2008; 60: 175-182.
33. Ghanawi J, Roy L, Davis DA, Saoud IP. Effects of dietary lipid levels on growth performance of marbled spinefoot rabbitfish Siganus rivulatus. Aquaculture. 2011; 310: 395-400.
34. Cahu C. Domestication et fonction de nutrition chez les poissons. Production Animale, INRA. 2004; 17: 205-210.
35. Barcellos LJG, Kreutz LC, Queuedo MR, Fioreze I, Cericato L, Sosso M, Fagundes AB, Conrad J, Baldissera RK, Bruschi A, and Ritter F. Nursery rearing of Rhamdia quelen (Quoy and Gaimard) in cages: Cage type, stocking density and stress response to confinement. Aquaculture. 2004; 232: 383-394.
107 Absract views 91 PDF Downloads 198 Total views
Effects of enzymatic hydrolysis on the antioxidant activity of protein hydrolysate derived from the larvae of black soldier fly (Hermetia illucens L.)Muhammad Yusuf Abduh,, Diah Ayu Prawitasari,, Ula Aulia Fitrian,, Mochamad Firmansyah,
Cephalic Microstructure and its role in Predation Biology of Myrmicaria brunnea on Antheraea mylittaGanesh B. Gathalkar, Deepak D. Barsagade
Some aspects of feeding ecology and behavior of House crow (Corvus splendens) in an urban habitat of city Prayagraj (U.P.), IndiaPrashant Kumar, Anil Kumar Ojha
Effects of Dietary Lipid Sources on Growth and Survival of Mudfish Heterobranchus longifilis FingerlingsReginald Inodu Keremah, Tarila Terimokumo
Expression and purification of growth hormone from Microminipig (MMP) and its effects on body fat percentage with injectionShedage Kishor Ashok, Yasushi Kuwabara, Shunnosuke Abe, Eugene Hayato Morita
Evaluation of Spent Mushroom Substrate as biofertilizer for growth improvement of Capsicum annuum L.Somnath Roy, Shibu Barman, Usha Chakraborty and Bishwanath Chakraborty
Regeneration of plantlets of Piper longum L. through in vitro culture from nodal segmentsbBandana Padhan
Growth, physiological and biochemical responses of Meliaceae species - Azadirachta indica and Melia dubia to elevated CO2 concentrationsS. Janani, P. Priyadharshini, R. S. C. Jayaraj, C. Buvaneswaran, Rekha R. Warrier
Growth responses on major replacement of animal protein with plant protein and graded levels of dietary supplement amino sugar, glucosamine in threatened Magur (Clarias batrachus, Linnaeus, 1758) fryShipra Chowdhary, P. P. Srivastava , J.K. Jena, S. Raizada, A.K. Yadav, R. Dayal, S. Misra
Isolation of phosphate solubilizing fungi from rhizosphere soil and its effect on seed growth parameters of different crop plantsMurali Mahadevamurthy, Thriveni M Channappa, Manjula Sidappa, Mythrashree S Raghupathi, Amruthesh K Nagaraj
Morel Culture Study Part I: Morchela sp. mycelial growth and nutrient-primed myceliaElif Ayse Erdogan Eliuz, Gulden Goksen
Metabolic activities and health indices of African catfish (Clarias gariepinus) fed varying levels of Zingiber officinale rootAdegbesan Sherifat Ibidunni, Obasa Samuel Olubodun, Abdulraheem Ikililu
Biodiversity and biotechnological applications of halophilic microbes for sustainable agricultureAjar Nath Yadav, Anil Kumar Saxena
Coleoptilar node - A season-independent explant source for in vitro culture in maize (Zea mays L.)Pavan Kumar Gudlavalleti, Sreenu Pagidoju , Sridevi Muppala , Reddy Malireddy Kodandarami , Sateesh Kumar Puligandla
Effect of growth hormones in induction of callus, antioxidants, and antibacterial activity in Nerium odorumAvinash Prakasha, S Umesha
Effects of modulation dietary gelatinized cornstarch/protein ratio on growth performance, feed utilization, and body composition of tilapia Oreochromis niloticus fingerlingsY E O Gope yue Maurice , B L E Melecony Celestin, Fagbohoun Bedel, Etchian Assoi Olivier, Dabonne Soumaila
Synergistic Antibacterial Effect of Silver Nanoparticles and Extremely Low-Frequency Pulsed Magnetic Fields on Klebsiella pneumoniaeMai I. El-kaliuoby, Alaa M. Khalil, Ahmed M. El-Khatib, Thanaa I. Shalaby
Antimicrobial applications of sophorolipid from Candida bombicola: A promising alternative to conventional drugsVictoria Akemi Itakura Silveira, Christiane Aparecida Urzedo Queiroz Freitas, Maria Antonia Pedrine Colabone Celligoi
Effect of different culture media on growth of Chlorella sorokiniana and the influence of microalgal effluents on the germination of lettuce seedsDagon Manoel Ribeiro, Géssica Tais Zanetti, Maria Heloisa Moreno Julião, Tathiana Elisa Masetto, Jane Mary Lafayette Neves Gelinski, Gustavo Graciano Fonseca
Effect of different industrial and domestic effluents on growth, yield, and heavy metal accumulation in Turnip (Brassica rapa L.)Noor ul Ain, Qurat ul Ain, Sadaf Javeria, Sana Ashiq, Kanwal Ashiq, Muhammad Sufyan Akhtar
Screening and characterization of siderophore producing endophytic bacteria from Cicer arietinum and Pisum sativum plantsRajat Maheshwari, Namita Bhutani, Pooja Suneja
Comparative study of three locally available feeds on the growth and nutritional quality of Oreochromis niloticus juvenilesElla Pélagie Larissa Kouadio, Ahou Rachel Koumi, Tia Jean Gonnety, Boua Célestin Atsé, Lucien Patrice Kouamé
Callus induction, Indirect Organogenesis and Plantlet Regeneration from different explants of Vernonia anthelmintica (L.) WilldMaya Rajan, Shahena Soororbhavan, Vinaya Chandran, Linu Mathew
Optimization of physical parameters for the growth and lipid production in Nannochloropsis gaditana (Lubian, 1982)Shyni MarKose, Ajan Chellappan, Praba Thangamani, Subilal George, Selvaraj Thangaswamy, Citarasu Thavasimuthu, Michaelbabu Mariavincent
Dye degradation potential and its degradative enzymes synthesis of Bacillus cereus SKB12 isolated from a textile industrial effluentThangaraj Sheela, Senthil Kumar Sadasivam
Nutritional requirements for the enhanced mycelial growth and yield performance of Trametes versicolorBich Thuy Thi Nguyen, Ve Van Le, Huyen Trang Thi Nguyen, Luyen Thi Nguyen, Thuy Trang Thi Tran, Nghien Xuan Ngo
Enhanced production of a bioactive molecule from a symbiotic marine bacterium, Paenibacillus macerans SAM 9 isolated from the sea anemone, Heteractis auroraThayanithi Bharathi, Kathirvelu Sambandan, Kandasamy Sivasubramani
Bioprospecting of endophytic bacteria from the Indian Himalayas and their role in plant growth promotion of maize (Zea mays L.)Kusam Lata Rana, Divjot Kour, Tanvir Kaur, Rubee Devi, Ashok Yadav, Ajar Nath Yadav
Bacterial endophytes from halophyte black saxaul (Haloxylon aphyllum Minkw.) and their plant growth-promoting propertiesVyacheslav Shurigin,, Begali Alikulov, Kakhramon Davranov, Zafar Ismailov
Inducing the growth and flowering of caraway (Carum carvi L.) plantHanan M. H. Ali, Dalia Abdel Halim M. Sallam
Growth-promoting effects of marine microalgae species using tropical forest soil extractsKasturi Arumugam, Nor Suhaila Yaacob, Hasdianty Abdullah, Mohd Fadzli Ahmad, Maegala Nallapan Maniyam, Emi Fazlina Hashim, Fridelina Sjahrir, Wan Muhammad Ikram, Kazuhiro Komatsu, Victor S. Kuwahara
Evaluation of common wastewaters on the growth of alga SpirulinaTassnapa Wongsnansilp, Wikit Phinrub
Arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi as a potential biofertilizers for agricultural sustainabilityKumar Anand, Gaurav Kumar Pandey, Tanvir Kaur, Olivia Pericak, Collin Olson, Rajinikanth Mohan, Kriti Akansha, Ashok Yadav, Rubee Devi, Divjot Kour, Ashutosh Kumar Rai, Manish Kumar, Ajar Nath Yadav
Phosphate-Solubilizing Microorganisms for Agricultural SustainabilityAjar Nath Yadav
Structural and functional diversity of plant growth promoting microbiomes for agricultural sustainabilityTanvir Kaur, Divjot Kour, Olivia Pericak, Collin Olson, Rajinikanth Mohan, Ashok Yadav, Shashank Mishra, Manish Kumar, Ashutosh Kumar Rai, Ajar Nath Yadav
Abiotic stress signaling in plants and transgenic technology as a triumph: A reviewSeetha Babu Manepalli, Shraddha Tomar, Dinkar J. Gaikwad, Sagar Maitra
Potassium-Solubilizing Microorganisms for Agricultural SustainabilityAjar Nath Yadav
Implications of abiotic stress tolerance in arbuscular mycorrhiza colonized plants: Importance in plant growth and regulationMadhulika Singh,, Sanskriti Bisht, Shatrupa Singh, Jai Gopal Sharma
Effect of nutrient media enhanced with plant-growth regulators on indirect somatic embryogenesis induction for the tissue culture of Digitalis purpureaMohammed Ahmed Al-Oqab, Salim Zaid, Youssef Al-Ammouri
Effect of liquid seaweed (Ulva rigida) extract on the growth and rooting of carob (Ceratonia siliqua L.)Najat Zouari, Hanane Bougdaoua, Noureddine El Mtili
Occurrence of two endophytic associative nitrogen-fixing Caulobacter spp., from three non-nodulating endemic legumes based on nifH gene analysisN. Thamizhseran, Ganesh V. Shendye
Stress Adaptive Phosphorus Solubilizing Microbiomes for Agricultural SustainabilityDivjot Kour, Ajar Nath Yadav
Microbial diversity of Azadirachta indica (Neem) gum: An unexplored nichePragya Saxena,, Hillol Chakdar, Arjun Singh, Sheetal Shirodkar, Alok K. Srivastava
Impact of different levels of iron fertilizer on growth and yield physiology of Kodo millet under rainfed conditions – An overviewR. Samundeswari, N. Jeyapandiyan, M. Anitha, J. Patricia Kalaiarasi, R. Susan Poonguzhali, C. Jayapradha, S. Rathikannu, K. Udhaya Kumar
Isolation and characterization of robust plant growth-promoting rhizobacteria from lignite mines, GujaratRavi Patel, Dilip N. Borada, Amisha Patel, Neil J. Shah
Effect of nutrient media enhanced with plant growth regulators on genetic stability in sub-cultures of Digitalis purpurea callusMohammed Ahmed AL-Oqab, Salim Zaid, Youssef Al-Ammouri, Shawqi H. Alawdi
Endophytic nitrogen-fixing bacteria: Untapped treasurer for agricultural sustainabilityKusam Lata Rana, Divjot Kour, Tanvir Kaur, Rajeshwari Negi, Rubee Devi, Neelam Yadav, Pankaj Kumar Rai, Sangram Singh, Ashutosh Kumar Rai, Ashok Yadav, R. Z. Sayyed, Ajar Nath Yadav
Rhizospheres of Rubus ellipticus and Ageratina riparia from Meghalaya exhibit Actinomycetota that promote plant growthDebulman Syiemiong, Dhruva Kumar Jha, Samrat Adhikari, Dapkupar Mylliemngap, Richborn Kharbuki, Dominic Lyngdoh, Joel Paul Warlarpih, Neha Paul, Kevin Matthew Lamare, Chalcedony Wahlang, Rangehbok Lyngkhoi
Impact of different feeds on cannibalism in early larval stages of Koi carp (Cyprinus carpio)K. Altaff and A. Janakiraman