Published:  Aug 14, 2017DOI: 10.7324/JABB.2017.50405
The main objective of this study was to determine the chemical composition, antioxidant and antimicrobial properties of the essential oil of Vetiveria nigritana (Benth.) Stapf roots growing in Burkina Faso. The composition of the essential oil was analyzed by GC and GC / MS. DPPH radical scavenging method and FRAP test were used to demonstrate the antioxidant activity of the essential oil. Antimicrobial activity of the essential oil was determined using disk diffusion method and broth microdilution method. The major components of the essential oil of V. nigritana were dehydronigritene, zizanoic acid, preziza-7-(15)-en-3-ol, khusian-2-ol, ziza-6(13)-en-3-beta-ol, prezizaan-15-al and khusimone. The essential oil demonstrated weak radical scavenging power with an IC50 of 28.35±0.58µl and a low reduction capacity. The essential oil showed a relative good inhibitory action against strains of Bacillus, Escherichia coli, Staphylococcus, Clostridium perfringens, Listeria monocytogenes, Micrococcus luteus, Enterococcus faecalis, Candida kefir and Saccharomyces cerevisiae with inhibition diameters ranging from 11.5±0.71 mm to 23.5±0.71 mm. Minimum inhibitory concentrations of the essential oil of V. nigritana ranged from 1% to 8%, minimum bactericidal concentrations from 2% to 4% with minimum fungicidal concentration of 4%. These results suggest that essential oil of V. nigritana roots could be subjected for pharmaceutical drug formulations.
Semde Z, Koudou J, Zongo C, Figueredo G, Somda MK, Ganou L, Traore AS. Chemical composition, antioxidant and antimicrobial activities of the essential oil of Vetiveria nigritana (Benth.) Stapf roots from Burkina Faso. J App Biol Biotech. 2017; 5 (04): 029-036.
1. Champagnat P, Bessière JM, Chezal JM, Chalchat JC, Carnat A P. New compounds from the essential oil of Vetiveria nigritana roots from Mali. Flavour and Fragrance Journal. 2007; 22:488-493.
2. Pousset JL. Plantes médicinales africaines, utilisation pratique. Paris : Agence de coopération culturelle et technique (ACCT); 1989.
3. Adamua HM, Abayeha OJ, Aghoa MO, Abdullahi AL, Ubac A, Dukkuc HU, Wufema BM. An ethnobotanical survey of Bauchi State herbal plants and their antimicrobial activity. Journal of Ethnopharmacology. 2005; 99:1-4.
4. Khalil MAL, Ayoub SMH. Analysis of the essential oil of Vetiveria nigritana (Benth.) Stapf root growing in Sudan. Journal of Medicinal Plants Research. 2011; 5 (32):7006-7010.
5. Kossouoh C, Moudachirou M, Adjakidje V, Chalchat JC, Figuérédo G, Champagnat P. Chemical composition of essential oils of roots of Vetiveria nigritana (Benth.) Stapf from Benin. Journal of essential oil bearing plants. 2008; 11 (5):468-475.
6. Champagnat P, Figueredo G, Chalchat JC and Bessière JM. Essential oil composition of Vetiveria nigritana from Mali. Journal of Essential Oil Research. 2006; 18: 647-649.
7. Bassolé IHN, Nébié R, Savadogo A, Ouattara C T, Barro N, Traore A S. Composition and antimicrobial activities of the leaf and flower essential oils of Lippia chevalieri and Ocimum canum from Burkina Faso. African Journal of Biotechnology. 2005; 4 (10):1156-1160.
8. Adams RP. Identification of Essential oils Components by Gas Chromatography-Quadrupole Mass Spectrometry. Illinois, USA: Allured Publishing Corp., Card Stream, 2001.
9. Joulain D, König WA.The Altlas of Spectral Data of Sesquiterpene Hydrocarbons. Hamburg: E. B. Verlag, 1998.
10. Mc Lafferty FW, Stauffer DB. The Wiley NBS registry of Mass Spectral Data. 2nd ed. New York: J. Wiley and Son, 1989.
11. Van Den Dool H, Kratz PDJ. A generation of the retention index system inclg. linear temperature programmed gas-liquid partition chromatography. Chromatography. 1963; 11:463-471.
12. Joshi S, Prakash O, Pant AK, Mathela CS. Chemical Composition, and Antioxidant and Antimicrobial Activities of Alpinia nutans Rosc. Journal of Essential Oil Research. 2010; 22 (1):85-90.
13. Carovic-Stanko K, Orlic S, Politeo O, Strikic F, Kolak I, Milos M, Satovic Z. Composition and antibacterial activities of essential oils of seven Ocimum taxa. Food Chemistry. 2010; 119:196-201.
14. Obame LC, Koudou J, Chalchat JC, Bassolé I, Edou P, Ouattara A S, Traoré A S. Volatile components, antioxidant and antibacterial activities of Dacryodes buettneri H. J. Lam. essential oil from Gabon. Scientific Research Essay. 2007; 2 (11):491-495.
15. Zouari N, Ayadi I, Fakhfakh N, Rebai A, Zouari S. Variation of chemical composition of essential oils in wild populations of Thymus algeriensis Boiss. et Reut., a North African endemic Species. Lipids in Health and Disease. 2012; 11(28).
16. Sousa EO, Colares AV, Rodrigues FFG, Campos AR, Lima SG and Costa JGM. Effect of collection time on essential oil composition of Lantana camara Linn (Verbenaceae) growing in Brazil Northeastern. Record of Natural Product. 2010; 4 (1):31-37.
17. Elhassan IA, Ayoub SMH. Effect of geographical location on essential oil content and composition of Xylopia aethiopica. American Journal of Research Communication. 2014; 2(1):251-261.
18. Anwar F, Hussain AI, Sherazi STH, Bhanger MI. Changes in composition and antioxidant and antimicrobial activities of essential oil of fennel (Foeniculum vulgare Mill.) fruit at different stages of maturity. Journal of Herbs, Spices and Medicinals Plants. 2009; 15:1-16.
19. Hussain AI, Anwar F, Sherazi STH, Przybylski R. Chemical composition, antioxidant and antimicrobial activities of basil (Ocimum basilicum) essential oils depends on seasonal variations. Food Chemistry. 2008; 108:986-995.
20. Loizzo MR, Tundis R, Conforti F, Menichini F, Bonesi M, Nadjafi F, Frega NG, Menichini F. Salvia leriifolia Benth (Lamiaceae) extract demonstrates in vitro antioxidant properties and cholinesterase inhibitory activity. Nutrition Research. 2010; 30:823-830.
21. Tepe B, Daferera D, Sokmen A, Sokmen M, Polissiou M. Antimicrobial and antioxidant activities of essential oil and various extracts of Salvia tomentosa Miller (Lamiaceae). Food Chemistry. 2005; 90:333-340.
22. Kaya GI, Unver Somer UN, KonyalÄ±oÄŸlu S, Yalcin HT, Karabay YavaÅŸoÄŸlu NU, Sarikaya B, Onur MA. Antioxidant and antibacterial activities of Ranunculus marginatus var. trachycarpus and R. sprunerianus. Turkish Journal of Biology. 2010; 34:139-146.
23. Dorman HJD, Surai P, Deans SG. In vitro antioxidant activity of a number of plant essential oils and phytoconstituents. Journal of Essential Oil Research. 2000; 12:241-248.
24. Ruberto G, Barata MT. Antioxidant activity of selected essential oil components in two lipid model systems. Food Chemistry. 2000; 69:167-174.
25. Özkan A, ErdoÄŸan, A. A comparative evaluation of antioxidant and anticancer activity of essential oil from Origanum onites (Lamiaceae) and its two major phenolic components. Turk. J. Biol. 2011; 35:735-742.
26. Champagnat P, Sidibé L, Forestier C, Carnat A, Chalchat J-C, Lamaison J-L. Antimicrobial Activity of Essential Oils from Vetiveria nigritana and Vetiveria zizanioides Roots. Journal of Essential Oil Bearing Plants. 2007; 10 (6):519-524.
27. Burt S. Essential oils: Their antibacterial properties and potential applications in food. International Journal of Food Microbiology. 2004; 94:223-253.
28. Lahlou M. Methods to Study the Phytochemistry and Bioactivity of Essential Oils. Phytotherapy Research. 2004; 18:435-448.
29. Bajpai VK, Rahman R, Kang SC. Chemical composition and inhibitory parameters of essential oil and extracts of Nandina domestica Thunb to control food-borne pathogenic and spoilage bacteria. International Journal of Food Microbiology. 2008; 125:117-122.
30. Cakir A, Kordali S, Zengin H, Izumi S, Hirata T. Composition and antifungal activity of essential oils isolated from Hypericum hyssopifolium and Hypericum heterophyllum. Flavour and Fragrance Journal. 2004; 19:62-68.
31. Badawy MEI, Abdelgaleil SAM, Suganuma T, Fuji M. Antibacterial and Biochemical Activity of Pseudoguaianolide Sesquiterpenes Isolated from Ambrosia maritima against Plant Pathogenic Bacteria. Plant Protection Science. 2014; 50 (2):64-69.
32. Ozcelik B, Gurbuz I, Karaoglu T, YeÅŸilada E. Antiviral and antimicrobial activities of three sesquiterpene lactones from Centaurea solstitialis L. ssp. solstitialis. Microbiological Research. 2009;164: 545-552.
33. Rabe T, Staden J. Isolation of an antibacterial sesquiterpenoid from Warburgia salutaris. Journal of Ethnopharmacology. 2000;73: 171-174
124 Absract views 132 PDF Downloads 256 Total views
Application of Mentha suaveolens essential oil as an antimicrobial agent in fresh turkey sausagesAbdelaziz Ed-Dra, Fouzia Rhazi Filai, Mohamed Bou-Idra, Badr Zekkori, Aziz Bouymajane, Najia Moukrad, Faouzia Benhallam, Amar Bentayeb
Insecticidal effect of four plant essential oils against two aphid species under laboratory conditionsAkram Saleh Alghamdi
Antimicrobial effects of edible nano-composite based on bean pod shell gum, nano-TiO2, and Mentha pulegium essential oilMozhgan Nasiri, Ali Mohamadi Sani, Vahid Hakimzadeh, Mostafa Shahidi
Cymbopogon giganteus Chiov. essential oil: Direct effects or activity in combination with antibiotics against multi-drug resistant bacteriaHabib Toukourou , Hope Sounouvou, Lucy Catteau, Fatiou Toukourou, Françoise Van Bambeke, Fernand Gbaguidi, Joëlle Quetin-Leclercq
Efficacy of commercial botanical pure essential oils of garlic (Allium sativum) and anise (Pimpinella anisum) against larvae of the mosquito Aedes aegyptiSedthapong Laojun, Pongmada Damapong, Peerada Damapong, Wallapa Wassanasompong, Nantana Suwandittakul, Thavatchai Kamoltham, Tanawat Chaiphongpachara
Lemongrass oil disrupts the biofilm of Candida albicans MTCC 1637T on soft denture reliners at lower concentrations compared to thyme and tea tree oilsAishwarya Rajendra Patil, Ravi M.B., Raghavendra Swamy K.N., Ann Catherine Archer, Sowmya S, Sanya Hazel Soans, Raghu Ram Achar
Inducing the growth and flowering of caraway (Carum carvi L.) plantHanan M. H. Ali, Dalia Abdel Halim M. Sallam
Enhancing antibacterial properties of bacteriocins using combination therapyPoonam Sharma, Meena Yadav
Bioactivity assessment of endophytic fungi associated with Centella asiatica and Murraya koengiiArchana Nath, Jyoti Pathak and SR Joshi
Asparagus racemosus extract increases the life span in Drosophila melanogasterK. V. Kiran Kumar, K. S. Prasanna, J. S. Ashadevi
Comparative three way analysis of biochemical responses in cereal and millet crops under salinity stressRitika Bhatt, Prem Prakash Asopa, Santosh Sihag, Rakesh Sharma, Sumita Kachhwaha, S.L. Kothari
Impact of Phyllanthus amarus extract on antioxidant enzymes in Drosophila melanogasterN. Manasa, J. S. Ashadevi
Alterations in antioxidant defense system in hepatic and renal tissues of rats following aspartame intakeSaeed A. Alwaleedi
Ten different brewing methods of green tea: comparative antioxidant studyNaila Safdar, Amina Sarfaraz, Zehra Kazmi, Azra Yasmin
Medicinal and Functional Values of Thyme (Thymus vulgaris L.) HerbEqbal M. A. Dauqan, Aminah Abdullah
Buffalo (Bubalus bubilis) colostrum and milk fat globule membrane fractions are potent antioxidantsN. Brijesha, H. S. Aparna
Effect of extraction solvents on phenolic contents and antioxidant capacities of Artocarpus chaplasha and Carissa carandas fruits from BangladeshGouri Dhar, Sonam Akther, Afrin Sultana, Uchen May, Mohammed Moinul Islam, Mowri Dhali, Dwaipayan Sikdar
In Vitro Antidiabetic and Anti-oxidant Activities of Methanol Extract of Tinospora SinensisAnindita Banerjee, Bithin Maji, Sandip Mukherjee, Kausik Chaudhuri, Tapan Seal
Crosstalk of brassinosteroids with other phytohormones under various abiotic stressesFarhan Ahmad, Ananya Singh, Aisha Kamal
In vitro propagation by axillary shoot proliferation, assessment of antioxidant activity, and genetic fidelity of micropropagated Paederia foetida L.Biswaranjan Behera, Priyajeet Sinha, Sushanto Gouda, Sakti K. Rath, Durga P. Barik, Padan K. Jena, Pratap C. Panda, Soumendra K. Naik
Effect of growth hormones in induction of callus, antioxidants, and antibacterial activity in Nerium odorumAvinash Prakasha, S Umesha
Aroclor 1254 induced oxidative stress and histopathological changes in mice liverJalpa Raja, Shweta Pathak, Rahul Kundu
A study of endophytic fungi Neofusicoccum ribis from Gandaria (Bouea macrophylla Griffith) as enzyme inhibitor, antibacterial, and antioxidantTrisanti Anindyawati, Praptiwi
Determination of phytochemical, antioxidant, antimicrobial, and protein binding qualities of hydroethanolic extract of Celastrus paniculatusVijay Kumar¥, Simranjeet Singh¥, Arjun Singh¥, Amit Kumar Dixit¥, Bhavana Shrivastava, Sapna Avinash Kondalkar, Joginder Singh, Ravindra Singh, Gurpreet Kaur Sidhu, Rajesh Partap Singh, Varanasi Subhose, Om Prakash
Effect of Trema guineensis leaves (celtidaceae) on glucose-induced hypertension in Wistar ratsBalakiyém Kadissoli, P A Mouzou, T Pakoussi, K Eklu-Gadegbeku, A K Aklikokou, M Gbeassor
Phytochemical analysis, antimicrobial and antioxidant activities of Aidia borneensis leaf extractsZulhamizan Awang-Jamil, Aida Maryam Basri, Norhayati Ahmad, Hussein Taha
Comparative chemical and biological investigations of three Saudi Astragalus speciesMohamed A. Ashour
Phytochemical analysis and antioxidant potential of Ocimum gratissimum Linn (Lamiaceae) commonly consumed in the Republic of BeninHinnoutondji Wilfrid Kpètèhoto, Abdou Madjid Olatoundé Amoussa, Roch Christian Johnson, Eustache Enock Meinsan Houéto , Franck Maurille Zinsou Mignanwandé, Hounnankpon Yédomonhan, Frédéric Loko, Honoré Bankolé, Latifou Lagnika
Pleurotus pulmonarius (Fr.) Quel. (Pleurotaceae): In vitro antioxidant evaluation and the isolation of a steroidal isoprenoidBlessing Onyinye Okonkwo, Ozadheoghene Eriarie Afieroho, Emeka Daniel Ahanonu, Lambert Okwubie, Kio Anthony Abo
Study of the changes in the growth, protein, and bioactive profile of Chlorella emersonii KJ725233 in response to sodium and ammonium nitrateSneha Sunil Sawant, Varsha Kelkar-Mane
Determination of phenolic content and antioxidant capacity of Launaea resedifolia from Algerian SaharaAmina Bouguerra, Mohamed Hadjadj, Mesaouda Dekmouche, Zhour Rahmani, Houssine Dendougui
Investigation of morphological, phytochemical, and enzymatic characteristics of Anethum graveolens L. using selenium in combination with humic acid and fulvic acidParviz Samavatipour, Vahid Abdossi, Reza Salehi, Saeed Samavat,Alireza Ladan Moghadam
A study on the salinity stress effects on the biochemical traits of seedlings and its relationship with resistance toward sensitive and tolerant flax genotypesYousef Alaei, Seyed Kamal Kazemitabar, Mohammad Zaefi Zadeh, Hamid Najafi Zarini, Gaffar Kiani
Nyctanthes arbor-tristis: Comprehensive review on its pharmacological, antioxidant, and anticancer activitiesSmita Parekh, Anjali Soni
Anti-quorum sensing, antibacterial, antioxidant activities, and phytoconstituents analysis of medicinal plants used in Benin: Acacia macrostachya (Rchb. ex DC.)Mounirou Tchatchedre, Abdou Madjid O. Amoussa, Ménonvè Atindehou, Aminata P. Nacoulma, Ambaliou Sanni, Martin kiendrebeogo, Latifou Lagnika
Studies on the mechanism of desiccation tolerance in the resurrection fern Adiantum raddianumTumkur Govindaraju Banupriya, Chandraiah Ramyashree, Devaraja Akash, Neeragunda Shivaraj Yathish, Ramasandra Govindarao Sharthchandra
Antioxidant and antihyperlipidemic effects of aqueous seed extract of Daucus carota L. in triton ×100-induced hyperlipidemic miceHabibu Tijjani, Abubakar Mohammed, Sani Muktar, Saminu Musa, Yusuf Abubakar, Adegbenro Peter Adegunloye, Ahmed Adebayo Ishola, Enoch Banbilbwa Joel, Carrol Domkat Luka, Adamu Jibril Alhassan
Role of glutathione reductase and catalase enzyme in antioxidant defense mechanism in controlling fluoride-induced oxidative stressKomal Sharma, Mamta Choudhary, Khushbu Verma
Biological activities and phytochemicals of Hyptis capitata grown in East Kalimantan, IndonesiaIrawan Wijaya Kusuma, Rahmini, Enos Tangke Arung, Arif Yudo Pramono, Erwin, Supomo
Mycelial biomass, antioxidant, and myco-actives of mycelia of abalone mushroom Pleurotus cystidiosus in liquid cultureKent Garcia, Chester Jhae Garcia, Reynante Bustillos, Rich Milton Dulay
Salt stress, its impacts on plants and the strategies plants are employing against it: A reviewZeenat Mushtaq, Shahla Faizan, Basit Gulzar
Impact of oxidizing, reducing, and stabilizing agents on the inhibitory properties of Cyamopsis tetragonoloba trypsin inhibitorPreeti Patidar, Mahima Golani, Sumati Hajela, Krishnan Hajela
Identification of highest L-Methioninase enzyme producers among soil microbial isolates, with potential antioxidant and anticancer propertiesD. Kavya, Varalakshmi Kilingar Nadumane
Astaxanthin: An algae-based natural compound with a potential role in human health-promoting effect: An updated comprehensive reviewJinu Medhi, Mohan Chandra Kalita
Linalool protects hippocampal CA1 neurons and improves functional outcomes following experimental ischemia/reperfusion in ratsVishal Airao, Prakruti Buch, Tejas Sharma, Devendra Vaishnav, Sachin Parmar
Modification of the time of incubation in colorimetric method for accurate determination of the total antioxidants capacity using 2,2-diphenyl-1-picrylhydrazyl stable free radicalAbhipsa Bal, Samar Gourav Pati, Falguni Panda, Biswaranjan Paital
HR-LC-MS based profiling of phytochemicals from methanol extracts of leaves and bark of Myristica dactyloides Gaertn. from Western Ghats of Karnataka, IndiaKuppuru Mallikarjunaiah Marulasiddaswamy, Bettadapura Rameshgowda Nuthan,, Channarayapatna-Ramesh Sunilkumar, Shrisha Naik Bajpe,, Kigga Kaadappa Sampath Kumara, Shailasree Sekhar, Kukkundoor Ramachandra Kini
Preclinical evaluation of anticataract activity of Mentha spicata leaves on isolated goat lens by an in vitro modelShreya Mohandas, Saahiba Thaleshwari, Myrene Roselyn Dsouza
Green synthesis, characterizations, and in vitro biological evaluation of Cu (II) complexes of quercetin with N ^ N ligandsTanu Srivastava, Sunil Kumar Mishra, Om Prakash Tiwari
Optimization of extraction conditions of phytochemical compounds in “Xiem” banana peel powder using response surface methodologyNgo Van Tai, Mai Nhat Linh, Nguyen Minh Thuy
Antioxidative, antiproliferative, and apoptosis effect of Coleus tuberosus flesh and peel ethanol extracts on cervical cancer cell linesMutiara Nugraheni, Windarwati Windarwati, Badraningsih Lastariwati
Comparative study of hydroalcoholic extracts of Bryophyllum pinnatum and Macrotyloma uniflorum for their antioxidant, antiurolithiatic, and wound healing potentialChetna Faujdar, Priyadarshini
Qualitative and quantitative analysis of Precocene II, estimation of enzymatic, nonenzymatic antioxidant, and cytotoxic potentials of methyl jasmonate-elicited shoot culture of Ageratum conyzoides Linn.Selvaraj Vasantharani, Ramaraj Thirugnanasampandan, Gunasekaran Bhuvaneswari
Suppression of the RAGE gene expression in RAW 264.7 murine leukemia cell line by ethyl acetate extract of Mikania micrantha (L.) Kunth.Alex Zohmachhuana, Malsawmdawngliana Tlaisun, Vabeiryureilai Mathipi, Lalrinzuali Khawlhring, Joyce Sudandara Priya
A review on fish peptides isolated from fish waste with their potent bioactivitiesAyusman Behera, Rajashree Das, Pranati Patnaik, Jyotirmaya Mohanty, Gargee Mohanty
Quantification of phytochemicals and in vitro antioxidant activities from various parts of Euphorbia neriifolia Linn.Priya Chaudhary, Pracheta Janmeda
Influence of soaking and germination treatments on the nutritional, anti-nutritional, and bioactive composition of pigeon pea (Cajanus cajan L.)Qurat Ul Eain Hyder Rizvi, Krishan Kumar, Naseer Ahmed, Ajar Nath Yadav, Divya Chauhan, Priyanka Thakur, Sumaira Jan, Imran Sheikh
Impact of diverse processing treatments on nutritional and anti-nutritional characteristics of soybean (Glycine max L.)Priyanka Thakur, Krishan Kumar, Naseer Ahmed, Ajar Nath Yadav, Sunil Kumar, Qurat Ul Eain Hyder Rizvi, Divya Chauhan, Sumaira Jan
Cathelicidin-HR from Hoplobatrachus rugulosus: an antioxidant peptide that performs a protective effect against UV/H2 O2 -induced DNA damagePiyachat Wiriyaampaiwong, Chutima Karnmongkol, Arpaporn Punpad, Nattapong Srisamoot, Wutti Rattanavichai, Alongkod Tanomtong, Sakda Daduang, Sompong Klaynongsruang, Anupong Tankrathok
Woodfordia fruticosa (Linn.) Kurz’s fungal endophyte Mucor souzae’s secondary metabolites, kaempferol and quercetin, bestow biological activitiesKavyashree Doreswamy, Priyanka Shenoy, Sneha Bhaskar, Ramachandra K. Kini, Shailasree Sekhar
Characterization of the crude extract of Portulaca oleracea and the determination of the polyphenol oxidase kinetics in the presence of Cu and ZnOmar Mohammad Atrooz, Shada Zaher Al-Maitah
Effect of diverse fermentation treatments on nutritional composition, bioactive components, and anti-nutritional factors of finger millet (Eleusine coracana L.)Sumaira Jan, Krishan Kumar, Ajar Nath Yadav, Naseer Ahmed, Priyanka Thakur, Divya Chauhan, Qurat-Ul-Eain Hyder Rizvi, Harcharan Singh Dhaliwal