Published:  Nov 05, 2016DOI: 10.7324/JABB.2016.40603
A 84-days experiment was conducted to observe the effects of different feeds rich with various types of fats on selected biochemical parameters of Channa striatus grow-outs. There were seven treatments (F1, L3HUF; F2, H3HUF; F3, MUSOL; F4, LINOL; F5, MIXOL; F6, SATOL and F7, NATFO), fed to fish (avg. wt., 27.36 ± 0.09 to 32.54 ± 0.41 g). Results showed that the variation in liver glycogen content was recorded on addition of different fat content in the diet. Activity of intestine protease recorded significantly (p<0.05) on addition of various fat content in the diet. It is found that the variation in intestine amylase varied significantly (p<0.05) in F1, F3 and F5 feeding trials. Intestine lipase varied significantly on addition of various fat content in all the feeding trials except in NATFO. The intestine cellulase was very poor in this fish and does not varied significantly (p > 0.5) on addition of different fat content in the diet. In case of F1 and F2 there was no activity recorded till end. Results suggests that dietary fat has direct role in the alteration of biochemical parameters especially intestinal lipase which showed drastic variation in the activity in this species of aquaculture importance.
Dayal R, Srivastava PP, Jena J, Raizada S, Yadav AK, Bhatnagar A, Chowdhary S. Effect of various dietary fats supplementation on the liver glycogen, protein and digestive enzymes activities in striped murrel, Channa striatus. J App Biol Biotech. 2016; 4 (06): 015-021. DOI: 10.7324/JABB.2016.40603
1. Hossain MK, Latifa GA, Rahman MM. Observation on induced breeding of snakehead murrel Channa striatus (Bloch 1793). International Journal of Sustainable Crop Production. 2008; 3: 65-68.
2. Baie SH, Sheikh KA. The wound healing properties of Channa striatus- cetrimide cream-wound contraction and glycosaminoglycan measurement. Journal of Ethnopharmacology. 2000; 73:15-30.
3. Mat Jais AM, McCulloh R, Croft K. Fatty acid and amino acid composition in haruan as a potential role in wound healing. General Pharmacology.1994; 25: 947-950.
4. Wee KL. The biology and culture of snakeheads In: Muir JF and RJ Roberts (eds ). Recent advances in aquaculture West view Press Boulder Colorado USA. 1982; 180-211.
5. Zakaria ZA, Somchit MN, Sulaiman MR, Mat Jais AM. Preliminary investigation on the anti- nociceptive activity of haruan (Channa striatus) fillet extract with various solvent system. Pakistan Journal of Biological Science. 2004; 7(10): 1706-1710.
6. Zuraini A, Somchit MN, Solihah MH, Goh YM, Arifah AK, Zakaria MS, Somchit N, Rajion MA, Zakaria ZA, Mat Jais AM. Fatty acid and amino acid composition of three local Malaysian Channa spp. Fisheries and Food Chemistry. 2006; 97(4): 674-678.
7. Chacko PI, Kurian GK. On the culture of Ophiocephalus marulius Hamilton in the Coimbatore and Salem Districts Madras. Proceeding of Indian Science Congress. 1947; 34(3): 180.
8. Alikunhi KH. Notes on the bionomics breeding and growth of the murrel Ophiocephalus striatus (Bloch). Proceeding of Indian Academy of Sciences (B). 1953; 38(I): 10-20.
9. Alikunhi KH. Fish culture in India. Farm bulletin Indian Council of Agricultural Research New Delhi.1957; p 20.
10. Parameshwaran S, Murugesan VK. Breedìng season and seed resources of murrels in swamps of Karnataka State. Journal of Inland Fisheries Society India. 1976; 8: 60-67.
11. Johnston IA, Goldspink G. Study of the swimming performance of the Crucian carp Carassius carassius (L ) in relation to the effects of exercise and recovery on biochemical changes in the myotomal muscles and liver. Journal of Fish Biology. 1973; 5(2): 249-260.
12. Driedzic WR, Short CE. Relationship between food availability glycerol and glycogen levels in low-temperature challenged rainbow smelt Osmerus mordax. Journal of Experimental Biology. 2007; 210(16): 2866-2872.
13. Diwan AD, Hingorani HG, Chandrasekhram Naidu N. Levels of blood glucose and tissue glycogen in two live fish exposed to industrial effluents. Bulletin of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology. 1979; 21: 269-276.
14. Peres H, Oliva-Teles A. Effect of dietary lipid level on growth performance and feed utilization by European sea bass juvenile (Dicentrarchus labrax). Aquaculture. 1999; 179: 325-334.
15. Bakthavatsalam R, Srinivasa Reddy Y. Intoxication effects of lidane (T-BHC) on the activities of aspartate aminotransferase (EC 188.8.131.52) and alanine aminotransferase (EC 184.108.40.206) of Anabas testudineus. Pesticide Biochemistry and Physiology. 1982; 18: 226-234.
16. Hemre GI, Sandnes. Effect of dietary lipid level on muscle composition in Atlantic salmon Salmo salar. Aquaculture Nutrition. 1999; 5(1): 9-16.
17. Cahu C, Zambonino Infante J. Substitution of food by formulated in marine fish larvae. Aquaculture. 2001; 200(1-2):161-180.
18. Morais S, Bell JG, Robertson DA, Roy WJ, Morris PC. Protein/lipid ratios in extruded diets for Atlantic cod Gadus morhua L Effects on growth feed utilization muscle composition and liver histology. Aquaculture. 2001; 203:101-119.
19. Bell JG, Henderson RJ, Tocher DR, Mcghee F, Dick JR, Porter A, Smullen RP, Sargent J. Substituting fish oil with crude palm oil in the diet of Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar) affects muscle fatty acid composition and hepatic fatty acid metabolism. Journal of Nutrition. 2002; 132: 222-230.
20. Giri AN, Srivastava DK, Trivedi SP. Insecticide basathrin induced histoanatomical insult of ovarian tissue of Indian catfish Heteropneustes fossilis. Biological Memoirs. 2000; 26: 20-24.
21. Fagbenro OA. Food composition and digestive enzymes in the gut of pond cultured Clarias isheriensis (Sydenham 1980) (Siluriformes: Clariidae). Journal of Applied Ichthyology. 1990; 6: 91-98.
22. Krogdahl A, Hemre GI, Mommsen TP. Carbohydrates in fish nutrition: digestion and absorption in postlarval stages. Aquaculture Nutrition. 2005; 11:103-122.
23. Lundstedt LM, Melo JFB, Moraes G. Digestive enzymes and metabolic profile of Pseudoplatystoma corruscans (Teleostei: Siluriformes) in response to diet composition. Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology. 2004; 137B: 331-339.
24. Gaye-Siessegger, Focken U, Becker K. Effect of dietary protein/carbohydrate ratio on activities of hepatic enzymes involved in the amino acid metabolism of Nile tilapia Oreochromis niloticus (L ). Fish Physiology and Biochemistry. 2006; 32: 275-282.
25. Shimeno S, Hosokawa H, Masumoto T, Ando H, Yamanaka H, Ukawa M. Effect of lipid contents in soybean meal diet on growth feed conversion and body composition in juvenile yellowtail. Bulletin of Marine Science and Fisheries , Kochi University. 1995; 15: 51-57.
26. Shimeno S, Hosokawa H, Takeda M. Metabolic response of juvenile yellowtail to dietary carbohydrate to lipid ratios. Fisheries Science. 1996; 62(6): 945-949.
27. Panserat S, Perrin A, Kaushik SJ. High dietary lipids induce liver glucose-6-phosphatase expression in rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss). Journal of Nutrition. 2002; 132:137-141.
28. Lesel R, Fromageot C, Lesel M. Cellulose digestibility in grass carp Ctenophyaryngodon idella and in gold fish Carassius auratus. Aquaculture. 1986; 54:11-17.
29. 29. Saha S, Roy RN, Sen SK, Ray AK. Charaterization of cellulase-producing bacteria from the digestive tract of tilapia Oreochromis mossambica (Pet ) and grass carp Ctenopharyngodon idella (Val ). Aquaculture Research. 2006; 37: 380-388.
30. Stickney RR, Shumway SE. Occurrence of cellulase activity in the stomach of fishes. Journal of Fisheries Biology. 1974; 6: 779-790.
31. Sahoo SK, Giri SS, Sahu AK. Induced spawning of Asian catfish Linn ): effect of various latency periods and SGnRHa and domperidone doses on spawning performance and egg quality. Aquaculture Research. 2005; 36(13): 1273-1278.
32. Dubois M, Gilles HA , Hamilton JK, Robers PA, Smith F. Colorimetric method for determination of sugars and related compounds Analytical Chemistry. 1956; 28: 350-356.
33. Lowry OH, Rosebrough NJ, Farr AL, & Randall RJ. Protein measurement in the folin phenol reagent. Journal of Biological Chemistry. 1951; 193: 265-275.
34. Walter HE. Probionases: Methods with haemoglobin casein and azocoll as substrates In: Bergmeyer H U (Ed ) Methods of Enzymatic Analysis Vol - V Verlag Chemic Weinheim. 1984; pp. 270-277.
35. Sawhney SK, Singh R. Introductory Practical Biochemistry Narosa Publishing House. 2000; 452 pp.
36. Thiammaiah SK. Standard Methods of Biochemical Analysis Kalyani Publishers India. 1999; 545 pp.
37. Snedecor GW, Cochran WG. Statistical methods IOWA State University Press Ames IOWA. 1967.
38. APHA. Standard Methods for the Examination of Water and Wastewaters American Public Health Association NW Washington DC. 1998.
39. Vijayan MM, Leatherland JF. Cortisol induced changes in plasma glucose protein and thyroid hormone levels and liver glycogen content of coho salmon (Oncorhynchus kisutch Walbaum). Canadia Journal of Zoology. 1989; 67: 2746-2750.
40. Murthy AS, Devi AP. The effect of endosulfan and its isomers on tissue Protein glycogen and lipid in the fish Channa punctatus. Pesticide Biochemistry and Physiology. 1982; 17: 280-286.
41. Bitterlich G. Digestive enzyme pattern of two stomachless filter feeders silver carp Hypophthalmichthys molitrix Val and bighead carp Aristichthys nobilis Rich. Journal of Fish Biology. 2006; 27(2): 103-112.
42. Bhatnagar A, Shashi R, Sudesh K. Isolation and Influence of Bacillus coagulans CC1 on growth performance and digestive enzyme activites of Catla catla. Journal of Nature Science and Sustainable Technology. 2012; 6(3): 225-235.
43. Al-Tameemi R, Aldubaikal A, Salman NA. Comparative study of α-amylase activity in three Cyprinid species of different feeding habits from Southern Iraq. Turkish Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences. 2010; 10: 411-414.
44. Nayak Jyotiranjan, Viswanathan Nair PG, Ammu K, Suseela Mathew. Lipase activity in different tissues of four species of fish: rohu (Labeo rohita Hamilton) oil sardine (Sardinella longiceps Linnaeus) mullet (Liza subviridis Valenciennes) and Indian mackerel (Rastrelliger kanagurta Cuvier). Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture. 2003; 83(11): 1139-1142.
45. Cahu CL, Zambonino Infante JL, & Barbosa V. Effect of dietary phospholipid level and phospholipid: neutral lipid value on the development of sea bass (Dicentrarchus labrax) larvae fed a compound diet. British Journal of Nutrition. 2003; 90: 21-28.
46. Saha AK, Ray AK. Performance of rohu Labeo rohita (Hamilton) fingerlings maintained on alternative feeding of plant and animal protein based diets. Acta Ichthyologica et Piscatoria XXVIII Fase. 1998; 1: 3-13.
191 Absract views 212 PDF Downloads 403 Total views
Variety and environmental effects on crude protein concentration and mineral composition of Arachis pintoi (Kaprovickas & Gregory) in Benin (West Africa)ADJOLOHOUN Sébastien, BINDELLE Jérôme, ADANDEDJAN Claude, TOLEBA Séibou Soumanou, HOUINATO Marcel,SINSIN Brice
Expression and purification of growth hormone from Microminipig (MMP) and its effects on body fat percentage with injectionShedage Kishor Ashok, Yasushi Kuwabara, Shunnosuke Abe, Eugene Hayato Morita
The response of phycobiliproteins to light qualities in Anabaena circinalisS. K. Ojit, Th. Indrama, O. Gunapati, S. O. Avijeet, S. A. Subhalaxmi, Ch. Silvia, D. W. Indira, Kh. Romi, Sh. Minerva, D. A. Thadoi, O. N. Tiwari, G. D. Sharma
Antioxidant effect of Tryptophan on biochemical parameters in the haemolymph and fat body of final instar larvae of silk insect, Bombyx moriK. P. Priya Bhaskaran, P. U. Bindu, K. Rukhsana, V. P. Akhilesh, E. K. Jisha Krishnan, C. D. Sebastian
cDNA cloning and analysis of alanine-rich cuticle protein gene of common fouling barnacle, Balanus amphitriteChandrakant B. Jagtap,Om Kinker Tiwari,Pradeep Kumar
Modulation of phycobiliprotein production in Nostoc muscorum through culture manipulationOnkar Nath Tiwari, Wangkhem Indira Devi, Chungkham Silvia, Angom Thadoi Devi, Gunapati Oinam, Oinam Avijeet Singh, Keithellakpam Ojit Singh, Thingujam Indrama, Aribam Subhalaxmi Sharma, Romi Khangembam, Minerva Shamjetshabam, Longjam Miranda, Radha Prasanna
Effect of external pH on cyanobacterial phycobiliproteins production and ammonium excretionOjit Singh Keithellakpam, Tiwari Onkar Nath, Avijeet Singh Oinam, Indrama Thingujam, Gunapati Oinam, Sharma Gauri Dutt
A Chromatography based interaction analysis of two important biomolecules: neurotoxic Amyloid beta oligomers and human blood plasma proteinsAnuj Kumer Das
Species relationships in Chenopodium quinoa and Chenopodium album on the basis of morphology and SDS-PAGE profiles of soluble seed proteinsRajkumari Jashmi Devi,Nikhil K Chrungoo
Transcriptional expression of three putative pathogenesis-related proteins in leaves of rubber tree (Hevea brasiliensis) inoculated with Neofusicoccum ribisA. I. C. Nyaka Ngobisa , Godswill Ntsomboh-Ntsefong , Wong Mui Yun , M. Z. Dzarifah, P. A. Owona Ndongo
Predicted interaction of human Ribosomal Protein S15 with Fragile X Mental Retardation ProteinEdmund Ui-Hang Sim, Xiang-Ru Ma, Stella Li-Li Chan, Choon-Weng Lee, Kumaran Narayanan
Potential use as a bio-preservative from lupin protein hydrolysate generated by alcalase in food systemAli Osman, Ghada M. El-Araby, Hefnawy Taha
Genome-wide identification and expression analysis along the leaf developmental gradient of the sigma factor gene family in foxtail millet (Setaria italica)Hongyun Liu, Jinjin Cheng, Siyuan Cheng, Hui Fan , Bo Wen , Zheng Liu
Growth responses on major replacement of animal protein with plant protein and graded levels of dietary supplement amino sugar, glucosamine in threatened Magur (Clarias batrachus, Linnaeus, 1758) fryShipra Chowdhary, P. P. Srivastava , J.K. Jena, S. Raizada, A.K. Yadav, R. Dayal, S. Misra
Physiological and biochemical characterization of Sesamum germplasms tolerant to NaClTapaswini Hota, C. Pradhan, G. R. Rout
Characterization of a pollen-specific agp1-like protein in Arabidopsis thalianaTian Wu, Feng Feng, Changhui Ye, Yingzhi Li
Expression analysis of recombinant Vigna radiata plant defensin 1 protein in transgenic tobacco plantsHoang Thi Thao , Nguyen Thi Ngoc Lan, Ho Manh Tuong, Nguyen Vu Thanh Thanh, Le Van Son, Chu Hoang Mau
Dagaa (Rastrinoebola argentea) protein hydrolysate as a nitrogen source in microbial culture mediaKatherine Pere, Betty Mbatia, Edward Muge, Vitalis W. Wekesa
Effects of modulation dietary gelatinized cornstarch/protein ratio on growth performance, feed utilization, and body composition of tilapia Oreochromis niloticus fingerlingsY E O Gope yue Maurice , B L E Melecony Celestin, Fagbohoun Bedel, Etchian Assoi Olivier, Dabonne Soumaila
Long Non-Coding RNAs and their “Orchestration” in CancersVenkata Narasimha Kadali, Sheji Chandran, Smitha Murthy
Progress in understanding the regulation and expression of genes during plant somatic embryogenesis: A reviewVikrant, Prajisha Janardhanan
Morphological Trait, Molecular Genetic Evidence and Proteomic Determination of Different Chickens (Gallus gallus) BreedsWirot Likittrakulwong, Pisit Poolprasert, Sittiruk Roytrakul
Effect of foliar fertilization with zinc and manganese sulfate on yield, dry matter accumulation, and zinc and manganese contents in leaf and seed of chickpea (Cicer arietinum)Soheil Kobraee
Detection of virulence genes and investigation of the immunogenicity of outer membrane proteins of Salmonella entericaMohamed A. El-Tayeb , Abdelnasser S. S. Ibrahim, Dina A. Maany , Yahya B. Elbadawi, Ali A. Al-Salamah
Study of impact of Wolbachia surface protein on reactive oxygen species production in HepG2 cell line exposed to ethanolV. P. Kishore, H. P. Puttaraju
Biochemical and cytogenetic effects of Imazethapyr on Cicer arietinum L.Manijeh Hoseiny-Rad, Ali Ashraf Aivazi
Modulation of photosynthesis, nitrogen fixing ability, and yield attributes of Chickpea (Cicer arietinum L.) to interactive effect NPK fertilizers and municipal wastewater irrigationHamid Iqbal Tak
Ab-initio modelling and docking evaluation of geographically derived coat proteins of chilli leaf curl virus with flavonoids and chemical compoundsGnanaprakash Jeyaraj, Habeeb Shaik Mohideen, A. Swapna Geetanjali
Augmentative role of Piriformospora indica fungus and plant growth promoting bacteria in mitigating salinity stress in Trigonella foenum-graecumSanskriti Bisht, Shatrupa Singh, Madhulika Singh,, Jai Gopal Sharma
Computational ligand–receptor docking simulation of piperine with apoptosis-associated factorsAdrianne Dien-Yu Vong, Siaw-San Hwang, Xavier Wezen Chee, Edmund Ui-Hang Sim
Diversity due to mutations in circulating virus strains of SARS-CoV-2 may delay control of COVID-19Sharanagouda S. Patil, Chandan Shivamallu, Chandan Dharmashekara, Sushma Pradeep, Kuralayanapalya Puttahonnappa Suresh, Ashwini Prasad, Shiva Prasad Kollur, Mahendra P. Yadav, Chandrashekar Srinivasa, Bramhadev Pattnaik
Cloning and expression of a GH11 xylanase from Bacillus pumilus SSP-34 in Pichia pastoris GS115: Purification and characterizationSagar Krishna Bhat,, Kavya Purushothaman, Appu Rao Gopala Rao Appu Rao, K Ramachandra Kini
Genetic polymorphism of soybean genotypes with contrasting levels of phosphatidylcholine, protein, and lipoxygenase-2Aseem Kumar Anshu,, Trupti Tayalkar, Anita Rani, Vineet Kumar, Hamendra Singh Parmar
Changes in the embryonic protein profile and hatching as a response to thermal stress in the Eri silkworm, Samia cynthia riciniPunyavathi, Koushik Hullahalli Kumar, Sentimenla Moatemjen, Likhith Gowda Mahadevegowda, Manjunatha Hosaholalu Boregowda
Bioactivity prediction and molecular docking of phytocompounds from Drynaria quercifolia against osteoarthritis receptorsRaja Lakshman Raj, Giridharan Bupesh, Vaidya Gayatri, Pandiyan Tamizharasi
Evaluation of common wastewaters on the growth of alga SpirulinaTassnapa Wongsnansilp, Wikit Phinrub
Characterization of the crude extract of Portulaca oleracea and the determination of the polyphenol oxidase kinetics in the presence of Cu and ZnOmar Mohammad Atrooz, Shada Zaher Al-Maitah
Investigation on the antifungal activity of Aspergillus giganteus in different culture conditionsS. Karthiga, R. Ramya, K. Ramya, S. Jothinayaki, D. Kavitha
Optimization of active antioxidative defatted Canarium indicum L. (Canary) protein hydrolysate productionCintya Nurul Apsari,, Ilma Nugrahani, Sukrasno, Tutus Gusdinar
Effects of enzymatic hydrolysis on the antioxidant activity of protein hydrolysate derived from the larvae of black soldier fly (Hermetia illucens L.)Muhammad Yusuf Abduh,, Diah Ayu Prawitasari,, Ula Aulia Fitrian,, Mochamad Firmansyah,
Neutrophil gelatinase associated lipocalin a proinflammatory polypeptide necessary for host cell survival in bacterial infectionNichita Yadav Aare, Pawan Kumar Anoor, Swathi Raju M, N. Srinivas Naik, Sandeepta Burgula