Published:  Aug 26, 2016DOI: 10.7324/JABB.2016.40401
A new Penicillium sp. strain isolated from the soil of Caatinga, a Brazilian Biome (UCP 1286) was selected for collagenase production. Fermentation system allowing obtention of collagenolytic activity about 2.7 times higher than existing data, with the highest values of collagenolytic and specific activity (379.80 U/mL, 1460.77 U/mg, respectively), after 126 hours. Applying a factorial design, enzyme production was increased by about 65% compared to the preliminary results. The factorial design demonstrated the existence of two factors with statistical significance on the production of the enzyme: pH and temperature, both with negative effects. Enzyme was found to be more active at pH 9.0 and 37 °C, and also to be very stable in comparison with the collagenase produced by other microorganisms. The enzyme seems to belong to collagenolytic serine proteases family. Concerning the substrate specificity, it was observed that the highest enzyme activity corresponds to azocoll, there was no relevant activity on azocasein and the enzyme showed to be more specific to type V collagen and gelatin than the commercial colagenase produced by Clostridium histolyticum. Major band observed at electrophoresis was approximately 37 kDa. Zymogram analysis confirmed the collagenolytic activity. All data indicates this enzyme as promising biotechnology product.
Wanderley MCA, Neto JMWD, Lima CA, Silverio SIC, Filho JLL, Teixeira JAC, Porto ALF. Production and Characterization of Collagenase by Penicillium sp. UCP 1286 Isolated From Caatinga Soil. J App Biol Biotech. 2016; 4 (04): 001-010. DOI: 10.7324/JABB.2016.40401
1. Jain R, Jain PC. Production and partial characterization of collagenase of Streptomyces exfoliatus CFS 1068 using poultry feather. Indian J Exp Biol 2010;48:174-8.
2. Suphatharaprateep W, Cheirsilp B, Jongjareonrak A. Production and properties of two collagenases from bacteria and their application for collagen extraction. N Biotechnol 2011;28:649-55.
3. Di Lullo G a., Sweeney SM, Körkkö J, Ala-Kokko L, San Antonio JD. Mapping the ligand-binding sites and disease-associated mutations on the most abundant protein in the human, type I collagen. J Biol Chem 2002;277:4223-31.
4. Müller WEG. The origin of metazoan complexity: porifera as integrated animals. Integr Comp Biol 2003;43:3-10.
5. Tran LH, Nagano H. Isolation and Characteristics of Bacillus subtilis CN2 and its Collagenase Production. Food Microbiol Saf 2002;67:3-6.
6. Wu Q, Li C, Li C, Chen H, Shuliang L. Purification and characterization of a novel collagenase from Bacillus pumilus Col-J. Appl Biochem Biotechnol 2010;160:129-39.
7. Dresden MH. Evidence for the role of collagenase in collagen metabolism. Nature 1971.
8. Lima CA, Viana Marques DA, Neto BB, Lima Filho JL, Carneiro-da-Cunha MG, Porto ALF. Fermentation medium for collagenase production by Penicillium aurantiogriseum URM4622. Biotechnol Prog 2011;27:1470-7.
9. Lima CA, Filho JLL, Neto BB, Converti A, Carneiro da Cunha MG, Porto ALF. Production and characterization of a collagenolytic serine proteinase by Penicillium aurantiogriseum URM 4622: A factorial study. Biotechnol Bioprocess Eng 2011;16:549-60.
10. Lima CA, Júnior ACVF, Filho JLL, Converti A, Marques D a. V, Carneiro-da-Cunha MG, et al. Two-phase partitioning and partial characterization of a collagenase from Penicillium aurantiogriseum URM4622: Application to collagen hydrolysis. Biochem Eng J 2013;75:64-71.
11. Ravanti L, Kahari VM. Matrix metalloproteases in wound repair. Int J Mol Med 2000;6:391-407.
12. Shanmughapriya S, Kiran GS, Natarajaseenivasan K. Optimization of extracellular thermotolerant alkaline protease produced by marine Roseobacter sp. (MMD040). Bioproc Biosys Eng 2008;31:427-33.
13. Barret AJ, Rawlings ND, Woessner JF. Handbook of Proteolytic Enzymes. 2nd. ed. Oxford, U. K.: 2004.
14. Hamdy HS. Extracellular collagenase from Rhizoctonia solaniâ€¯: Production , purification and characterization. Indian J Biotechnol 2008;7:333-40.
15. Rao MB, Tanksale a M, Ghatge MS, Deshpande V V. Molecular and biotechnological aspects of microbial proteases. Microbiol Mol Biol Rev 1998;62:597-635.
16. Daboor SM, Budge SM, Ghaly AE, Brooks S, Dave D. Extraction and Purification of Collagenase Enzymesâ€¯: A Critical Review. Am J Biochem Biotechnol 2010;6:239-63.
17. Mookthiar K, Steinbrink SD, Van Wart HE. Mode of hydrolysis of collagen-like peptidase by class I and class II Clostridium hystolyticum collagenases: Evidence for both endopeptidase and tripeptidyl-carboxypeptidase activities. Biochemistry1 985;24:6527-33.
18. Peterkofsky B. Bacterial collagenase. Methods Enzym 1982;82:453-71.
19. Sandhya C, Sumantha A, Szakacs G, Pandey A. Comparative evaluation of neural protease production by Aspergillus oryzae in submerged and solid state fermentation. Process Biochem 2005;40:2689-94.
20. Yakovleva MB, Khoang TL, Nikitina ZK. Collagenolytic activity in several species of deuteromycetes under various storage conditions. Appl Biochem Microbiol 2006;42:431-4.
21. de Siqueira ACR, da Rosa NG, Motta CMS, Cabral H. Peptidase with keratinolytic activity secreted by Aspergillus terreus during solid-state fermentation. Brazilian Arch Biol Technol 2014;57:514-22.
22. Rosso BU, Lima CDA, Porto TS, de Oliveira Nascimento C, Pessoa A, Converti A, et al. Partitioning and extraction of collagenase from Penicillium aurantiogriseum in poly(ethylene glycol)/phosphate aqueous two-phase system. Fluid Phase Equilib 2012;335:20-5.
23. Lima CA, Rodrigues PMB, Porto TS, Viana D a., Lima Filho JL, Porto ALF, et al. Production of a collagenase from Candida albicans URM3622. Biochem Eng J 2009;43:315-20.
24. Viani FC, Cazares Viani PR, Gutierrez Rivera IN, da Silva ÉG, Paula CR, Gambale W. Actividad proteolítica extracelular y análisis molecular de cepas de Microsporum canis aisladas de gatos con y sin sintomatología. Rev Iberoam Micol 2007;24:19-23.
25. Ikram-Ul-Haq H, Mukhtar. Biosynthesis of acid proteases by Penicillium griseoroseum IH-02 in solid-state fermentation. Pakist J Bot 2007;39:2717-24.
26. Menezes R, Sampaio E, Giongo V, Pérez-Marin A. Biogeochemical cycling in terrestrial ecosystems of the Caatinga Biome. Brazilian J Biol 2012;72:643-53.
27. Ferreira ACC, Leite LFC, de Araújo ASF, Eisenhauer N. Land-Use Type Effects on Soil Organic Carbon and Microbial Properties in a Semi-Arid Region of Northeast Brazil. L Degrad Dev 2014;178:n/a - n/a.
28. Pacchioni RG, Carvalho FM, Thompson CE, Faustino ALF, Nicolini F, Pereira TS, et al. Taxonomic and functional profiles of soil samples from Atlantic forest and Caatinga biomes in northeastern Brazil. Microbiologyopen 2014;3:299-315.
29. Chavira RJ, Burnett TJ, Hageman JH. Assaying Proteinases with Azocoll. Anal Biochem 1984;136:446-50.
30. Bradford MM. A rapid and sensitive method for the quantitation of microgram quantities of protein utilizing the principle of protein-dye binding. Anal Biochem 1976;72:248-54.
31. Endo A, Murakawa S, Shimizu H, Shiraishi Y. Purification and properties of collagenase from Streptomyces species. J Biochem 1987;102:163-70.
32. Rosen H. A modified ninhydrin colorimetric analysis for amino acids. Arch Biochem Biophys 1975;67:10-5.
33. Moore S, Stein WH. Photometric ninhydrin method for use in the chromatography of amino acids. J Biol Chem 1948;176:367-88.
34. Laemmli UK. Cleavage of structural proteins during the assembly of the head of bacteriophage T4. Nature 1970;227:680-5.
35. Baehaki A, Sukamo, Syah D, Setyahadi S, Suhartono MT. Production and characterization of collagenolytic protease from Bacillus licheniformis F11.4 originated from Indonesia. Asian J Chem 2014;26:2861-4.
36. Mahmoud Y a.-G, Abu El-Souod SM, El-Shourbagy SM, El-Badry ASM. Characterisation and inhibition effect of cetrimide on collagenase produced by Aspergillus flavus, isolated from mycotic ulcers. Ann Microbiol 2007;57:109-13.
37. Ok T, Hashinaga F. Detection and production of extracellular collagenolytic enzyme from Zygosaccharomyces rouxii. J Gen Appl Microbiol 1996;42:517-23.
38. Chellapan S, Jasmin C, Basheer SM, Elyas K, Bhat SG, Chandrasekaran M. Production, purification and partial characterization of a novel protease from marine Engyodontium album BTMFS10 under solid station fermentation. Process Biochem 2006;41:956-61.
39. Sakurai Y, Inoue H, Nishii W, Takahashi T, Iino Y, Yamamoto M, et al. Purification and characterization of a major collagenase from Streptomyces parvulus. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 2009;73:21-8.
40. Adachi E, Hayashi T. “In vitro” formation of fine fibrils with a D-periodic banding pattern type V collagen. Relat Res 1985;5:225-32.
41. Kiriviko KI, Mlyllyla R. Biosynthesis of the collagens. In: Piez KA, Reddi AH, organizadores. Extracell. Matrix Biochem., New York: Elsevier; 1984, p. 83-118.
42. Moreland LW, Gay RE, Gay S. Collagen autoantibodies in patients with vasculitis and systemic lupus erythematosus. Clin Immunol Immunopathol 1991;60:412-218.
43. James GT. Inactivation of the protease inhibitor phenylmethylsulfonyl fluoride in buffers. Anal Biochem 1978;86:574-9.
44. Baehaki A, Suhartono MT, Syah D, Sitanggang AB, Setyahadi S, Meinhardt F. Purification and characterization of collagenase from Bacillus licheniformis F11.4. African J Microbiol Res 2012;6:2373-9.
45. Roy P, Colas B, Durand P. Purification, kinetical and molecular characterizations of a serine collagenolytic protease from greenshore crab (Carcinus maenas) digestive gland. Comp Biochem Physiol 1994;36:247-301.
46. Matsushita K, Toyama H, Adachi O. Respiratory chains and bioenergetics of acetic acid bacteria. Adv Microb Physiol 1994;36:247-301.
47. Kristjánsson MM, Gudmundsdóttir S, Fox JW, Bjamason JB. Characterization of collagenolytic serine proreinase from the Atlantic cod (Gadus morhua). Comp Biochem Physiol 1995;110:707-17.
48. Sivakumar P, Sampath P, Chandrakasan G. Collagenolytic metalloprotease (gelatinase) from the hepatopancreas of the marine crab, Scylla serrata. Comp Biochem Physiol 1999;123:273-9.
170 Absract views 373 PDF Downloads 543 Total views
Enzymes and qualitative phytochemical screening of endophytic fungi isolated from Lantana camara Linn. LeavesMbouobda Hermann Desire , Fotso Bernard , Muyang Rosaline Forsah , Chiatoh Thaddeus Assang, Omokolo Ndoumou Denis
Impact of Phyllanthus amarus extract on antioxidant enzymes in Drosophila melanogasterN. Manasa, J. S. Ashadevi
Physiological and biochemical characterization of Sesamum germplasms tolerant to NaClTapaswini Hota, C. Pradhan, G. R. Rout
Enzymatic responses of Clarias gariepinus (Burchell, 1822) exposed to sub-lethal concentrations of an oilfield wastewaterNedie Patience Akani, Ugwemorubon Ujagwung Gabriel
Effect of various dietary fats supplementation on the liver glycogen, protein and digestive enzymes activities in striped murrel, Channa striatusRajesh Dayal, Prem Prakash Srivastava , Joykrushna Jena, Sudhir Raizada, Akhilesh Kumar Yadav, Anita Bhatnagar, Shipra Chowdhary
Trichoderma oligosaccharides priming mediates resistance responses in pearl millet against downy mildew pathogenBoregowda Nandini, Puttaswamy Hariprasad, Harischandra Sripathy Prakash, Nagaraja Geetha
Morphological, enzymatic screening, and phylogenetic analysis of thermophilic bacilli isolated from five hot springs of Myagdi, NepalPunam Yadav , Suresh Korpole, Gandham S Prasad, Girish Sahni , Jyoti Maharjan, Lakshmaiah Sreerama, Tribikram Bhattarai
Cold-active enzymes in food biotechnology: An updated mini reviewMohammed Kuddus
Aroclor 1254 induced oxidative stress and histopathological changes in mice liverJalpa Raja, Shweta Pathak, Rahul Kundu
The effects of diet and temperature on enzymes, hormones, and fecundity of the African Catfish Clarias gariepinus (Burchell 1822)Waleed Abdul-Aziz A. Al-Deghayem, El Amin Mohamed Suliman
A study on the salinity stress effects on the biochemical traits of seedlings and its relationship with resistance toward sensitive and tolerant flax genotypesYousef Alaei, Seyed Kamal Kazemitabar, Mohammad Zaefi Zadeh, Hamid Najafi Zarini, Gaffar Kiani
Role of glutathione reductase and catalase enzyme in antioxidant defense mechanism in controlling fluoride-induced oxidative stressKomal Sharma, Mamta Choudhary, Khushbu Verma
Dye degradation potential and its degradative enzymes synthesis of Bacillus cereus SKB12 isolated from a textile industrial effluentThangaraj Sheela, Senthil Kumar Sadasivam
Qualitative and quantitative analysis of Precocene II, estimation of enzymatic, nonenzymatic antioxidant, and cytotoxic potentials of methyl jasmonate-elicited shoot culture of Ageratum conyzoides Linn.Selvaraj Vasantharani, Ramaraj Thirugnanasampandan, Gunasekaran Bhuvaneswari
Isolation and characterization of starch degrading bacteria from disparate soil samplesVidhyutha Srivathsan, Mahima Bhandari, Priya Swaminathan
In silico modeling, docking of ThPON1-like protein, and in vitro validation of pesticide tolerance in Trichoderma harzianumArchana Kumari, Krishna Sundari Sattiraju
Endophytic Fungi as Emerging Bioresources for Bioactive Compounds for Sustainable DevelopmentDivjot Kour, Neelam Yadav, Ajar Nath Yadav
Microbes mediated plastic degradation: A sustainable approach for environmental sustainabilityHarpreet Kour, Sofia Shareif Khan, Divjot Kour, Shafaq Rasool, Yash Pal Sharma, Pankaj Kumar Rai, Sangram Singh, Kundan Kumar Chaubey, Ashutosh Kumar Rai, Ajar Nath Yadav
Effect of Wild and Mutant Strain of Lasiodiplodia Pseudotheobromae Mass Produced on Rice Bran as a Potential Bioherbicide Agents for Weeds under Solid state FermentationAdetunji C. O.a, Oloke J.Kb
Medium Formulation and its optimization for increased protease production by Penicillium sp. LCJ228 and its potential in blood stain removalV. Benluvankar, S. Evelyne Priya, J. Joel Gnanadoss
Screening, Selection and Optimization of the Culture Conditions for Tannase Production by Endophytic Fungi Isolated from CaatingaRayza Morganna Farias Cavalcanti, Pedro Henrique de Oliveira Ornela, João Atílio Jorge, Luís Henrique Souza Guimarães
Proteome and fermentative parameters of Saccharomyces cerevisiae CAT-1 under Very High Gravity Fermentation (VHGF) using sugarcane juiceGabriela de Sá Azarias, Heloisy Suzes Barbosa, Cynthia Barbosa Rustiguel, José Cesar Rosa, José Roberto Ernandes, Luis Henrique Souza Guimarães
Production, characterization and optimization of fermented tomato and carrot juices by using Lysinibacillus sphaericus isolateNaga Sivudu Seelam, Harika Akula, Umamahesh Katike, Vijaya Sarathi Reddy Obulam
Fermentative Production of Polyhydroxyalkanoates (PHAs) from Glycerol by Zobellella taiwanensis Azu-IN1Mohamed Ali Abdel-Rahman, Said El-Sayed Desouky, Mohamed Salah Azab, Mahmoud E. Esmael
Biochemical and molecular characterization of a new pullulan producer Rhodosporidium paludigenum PUPY-06RS Singh, Navpreet Kaur
Biocatalysis of agro-processing waste by marine Streptomyces fungicidicus strain RPBS-A4 for cellulase productionRajanikanth Akurathi, Damodharam Thoti
Inulinase production in shake-flask fermentations from Mucor circinelloides BGPUP-9Ram Sarup Singh, Kanika Chauhan, Randeep Kaur, Ramanpreet Kaur
Laccase production by Myrothecium gramineum and its optimization under solid state fermentation using cowpea pod as substrateV. Daphne Vivienne Gnanasalomi, J. Joel Gnanadoss
Screening and identification of amylase producing strains of BacillusKumar Pranay, Shree Ram Padmadeo, Vijay Jha, Birendra Prasad
Analysis of physicochemical and sensory parameters of wine produced from Carica papayaSuhail Cholassery, Vidhu Krishna, SreethuVeliparambil Sethuraj,Shabnam Shajahan Rehina, Vandana Ranganathan, Lisha Chanassery Dileep, Kuzhunellil Raghavanpillai Sabu, Bhama Ramachandran Rajesh, Ramachandran Pratap Chandran
Enhanced biobutanol production by optimization of the medium from Clostridium acetobutylicum MTCC 11274 using macroalgae Gracilaria edulisShelly Rana, Kashyap Dubey, Ashwani Dhingra
Media optimization studies and production of adenosylcobalamin (Vitamin B12) by environment friendly organism Rhizobium sppNeha Nohwar, Rahul V. Khandare, Neetin S. Desai
Amylase production by Aspergillus niger in submerged cultivation using cassavaMuralikandhan Kamaraj, Dhanasekaran Subramaniam
Production and purification of extracellular fungal cellulases using agricultural wasteAbishna Burugu, Dheerendra Kumar Suman, Chandrasekhar Chanda
Enhancement of Vitamin D2 content through ultraviolet-B irradiation in submerged cultivated Pleurotus eryngii mycelia using response surface methodologyUmesh Singh, Ashwani Gautam, Satyawati Sharma
Role of lacto-fermentation in reduction of antinutrients in plant-based foodsMehak Manzoor, Deepti Singh, Gajender Kumar Aseri, Jagdip Singh Sohal, Shilpa Vij, Deepansh Sharma
Impact of diverse processing treatments on nutritional and anti-nutritional characteristics of soybean (Glycine max L.)Priyanka Thakur, Krishan Kumar, Naseer Ahmed, Ajar Nath Yadav, Sunil Kumar, Qurat Ul Eain Hyder Rizvi, Divya Chauhan, Sumaira Jan
Effect of diverse fermentation treatments on nutritional composition, bioactive components, and anti-nutritional factors of finger millet (Eleusine coracana L.)Sumaira Jan, Krishan Kumar, Ajar Nath Yadav, Naseer Ahmed, Priyanka Thakur, Divya Chauhan, Qurat-Ul-Eain Hyder Rizvi, Harcharan Singh Dhaliwal
Solid-state fermentation of groundnut (Arachis hypogaea) shell using Trichoderma sp., tape yeast, and tempeh yeast to produce cellulaseMuhammad Yusuf Abduh, Chalil Rizqullah Ramadhan, Alfanny Putri Fadhlilah, Siti Dhiffah Nabilah Abdul, Khairul Hadi Burhan
Identification and characterization of acidosis on in vitro rumen fermentation with feeds based on grass, rice bran, concentrate, and tofu pulpDarwin, Tiya Humaira, Ami Muliawati
Impact of soaking, germination, fermentation, and roasting treatments on nutritional, anti-nutritional, and bioactive composition of black soybean (Glycine max L.)Divya Chauhan, Krishan Kumar, Naseer Ahmed, Priyanka Thakur, Qurat Ul Eain Hyder Rizvi, Sumaira Jan, Ajar Nath Yadav
Extraction of a novel bacteriocin from Lacticaseibacillus casei VITCM05 and its antibacterial activity against major food-borne pathogenJannatul Firdous Siddique, Mohanasrinivasan Vaithilingam