Published:  Apr 21, 2016DOI: 10.7324/JABB.2016.40211
A reproducible protocol for in vitro propagation of R. griffithianum has been established. Multiple shoot proliferation from shoot-tip explants was occurred in the presence of 2-isopentenyl adenine (2-iP) alone or in combination with indole 3-butyric acid (IBA) in Anderson's medium. The best treatment for shoot regeneration was Anderson's medium supplemented with 5 µM 2-iP and 1.0 µM IBA, which promoted shoot proliferation in more than 75% culture with an average of 11.00 shoots per explants after twelve weeks. These shoots were successfully rooted on Anderson's liquid medium supplemented with 1.5 µM IBA. The rooted plantlets were hardened in greenhouse with 84% survival rate.
Singh KK, Singh M, Chettri A. In Vitro Propagation of Rhododendron griffithianum Wt.: An Endangered Rhododendron Species of Sikkim Himalaya. J App Biol Biotech. 2016; 4 (02): 072-075. DOI: 10.7324/JABB.2016.40211
1. Pradhan UC, Lachungpa ST. Sikkim-Himalayan Rhododendrons. Primulaceae Books, Kalimpong, West Bengal; 1990.
2. Rotherham ID. The ecology of Rhododendron ponticum L. with special reference to its competitive and invasive capabilities. Ph D thesis, University of Sheffield, UK; 1983.
3. Alper HC, Rotherham ID. A review of the forest vegetation of turkey: its status past and present and its future conservation. Biology and Environment Proceeding of the royal Iris Academy. 2006; 106B, 343-354.
4. Hsia, CN, Korban, SS. The influence of cytokinins and ionic strength of Anderson’s medium on shoot establishment and proliferation of evergreen azalea. Euphytica. 1977; 93: 11-17.
5. Almeida R, Gonçalves S, Romano A. In vitro micropropagation of endangered Rhododendron ponticum L. subsp. baeticum (Boissier & Reuter) Handel-Mazzetti. Biodiversity and Conservation. 2005; 14: 1059-1069.
6. Vejsadová H. Growth regulator effect on in vitro regeneration of rhododendron cultivars. Horticultural Science (Prague). 2008; 35(2): 90-94.
7. Singh KK, Kumar S, Pandey A. Soil Treatments for Improving Seed Germination of Rare and Endangered Sikkim Himalayan Rhododendrons. World Journal of Agricultural Sciences. 2008; 4 (2): 288-296.
8. Murashige T, Skoog F, A revised medium for rapid growth and bioassays with tobacco tissue cultures. Physiologia Plantarum. 1962; 15: 473-497.
9. Anderson WC. A revised tissue culture medium for shoot multiplication of rhododendron. Journal of the American Society for Horticultural Science. 1984; 109: 343-347.
10. Snedecor GW, Cochran W.G. Statistical Methods. Oxford and IBH publishing Co., New Delhi; 1967.
11. Meyer MM. In vitro propagation of rhododendron catawbiense from flower buds. Horticulture Science. 1982; 17: 891-892.
12. Douglas GC. Propagation of eight cultivars of rhododendron in vitro using agar-solidified media and direct rooting of shoots in vivo. Scientia Horticulturae. 1984; 24: 337-347.
13. Fordham I, Stimart DP, Zimmerman RH. Axillary and adventitious shoot proliferation of Exbury Azaleas in vitro. Horticulture Science. 1982; 17: 738-139.
14. Mahadev MD, Panathula CS, Naidu CV. Efficient protocol for direct shoot organogenesis from in vitro raised nodla explants of solanum viarum ( Dunal) – An important anticancer medicinal plants. International Journal of Medicinal and Aromatic Plants. 2014; 4(1): 48-55.
15. Lisowska K, Wysokinska H. In vitro propagation of Catalpa ovate (G.) Don. Plant Cell Tissue and Organ culture. 2000; 60: 171-176.
16. Kumar S, Singh KK, Rai LK. In Vitro Propagation of an Endangered Sikkim Himalayan Rhododendron (R. maddeni) from Cotyledonary Nodal Segments. Journal American Rhododendrons Society. 2004; 58: 101-105.
17. Anderson WC. Rooting of tissue-cultured rhododendrons. Proceedings of the Plant Propagators Society. 1978; 28: 135-139.
18. Wong S. Direct rooting of tissue-cultured rhododendrons into an artificial soil mix. Proceedings of the Plant Propagators Society. 1981; 31: 36-39.
19. Singh KK. In Vitro Plant Regeneration of an Endangered Sikkim Himalayan Rhododendron (R. maddeni Hook. f.) from Alginate-Encapsulated Shoot Tips. Biotechnology. 2008; 7: 144-148.
20. Kumar S, Suri SS, Sonie KC, Ramawat KG. Establishment of embryonic cultures and somatic embryogenesis in callus culture of guggul – Commiphora wightii (Arnott) Bhandari. Indian Journal of Experimental Biology. 2003; 41: 69-77.
21. Singh KK, Gurung B. In vitro propagation of R. maddeni Hook. f. an endangered rhododendron species of Sikkim Himalaya. Notulae Botanicae Horti Agrobotanici Cluj-Napoca. 2009; 37: 79-83.
153 Absract views 224 PDF Downloads 377 Total views