Published:  Apr 21, 2016DOI: 10.7324/JABB.2016.40210
The current study was performed to analyze the dynamics of proteome in resistant cultivar of pearl millet seedlings during early hours of downy mildew infection. This was achieved using two-dimensional gel electrophoresis (2DE)-nano LCMS/MS based approach. Total protein extract from two-day-old pearl millet seedlings harvested 6 h post inoculation with pathogen, was fractionated by 2DE on 5-8 pI range IPG strips. Among the 210 protein spots detected by the PD-Quest software, 21 proteins were found to be up-regulated and 14 proteins down-regulated. Differential regulation of these proteins during downy mildew infection was found to be significant at p ≤ 0.05. Majority of these proteins belonged to the following functional categories: energy and metabolism (32%) category as well as stress and defense (32%). Unlike the previous proteomic study in pearl millet, the present study showed differential accumulation of early expressing defense-related genes such as those involved in reactive oxygen species mediated pathways, pathogenesis-related proteins and other interconnecting pathways responsible for coordinating the resistance mechanism of the plant. The current findings shed light on the vital differentially regulated proteins of pearl millet during early phase of pathogen infection that can be targeted as future disease management strategy.
Anup CP, Kini KR. Analysis of Dynamics of Proteome in Resistant Cultivar of Pearl Millet Seedlings during Sclerospora graminicola Infection. J App Biol Biotech. 2016; 4 (02): 097-071. DOI: 10.7324/JABB.2016.40210
1. Balasubramanian S, Singh KK, Patil RT, Onkar KK. Quality evaluation of millet-soy blended extrudates formulated through linear programming. J Food Sci Technol 2012; 49(4):450–8.
2. Yadav RS, Hash CT, Bidinger FR, Cavan GP, Howarth CJ. Quantitative trait loci associated with traits determining grain and stover yield in pearl millet under terminal drought-stress conditions. Theor Appl Genet 2002; 104(1):67–83.
3. Sudisha J, Amruthesh KN, Deepak SA, Shetty NP, Sarosh BR, Shetty HS. Comparative efficacy of strobilurin fungicides against downy mildew disease of pearl millet. Pesticide Biochemistry and Physiology. 2005 Mar 31;81(3):188-97.
4. Anup CP, Melvin P, Shilpa N, Gandhi MN, Jadhav M, Ali H, et al. Proteomic analysis of elicitation of downy mildew disease resistance in pearl millet by seed priming with β-aminobutyric acid and Pseudomonas fluorescens. J Proteomics; 2015;120:58–74.
5. Safeeulla KM. Biology and control of the downy mildews of pearl millet, sorghum and finger millet. Biol Control downy mildews pearl millet, sorghum finger millet. Mysore University;1976.
6. Hurkman WJ, Tanaka CK. Solubilization of Plant Membrane Proteins for Analysis by Two-Dimensional Gel Electrophoresis. 1986; 802–6.
7. Ramagli LS, Rodriguez L V. Quantitation of microgram amounts of protein in two-dimensional polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis sample buffer. Electrophoresis 1985; 6(11):559–63.
8. Wang X, Wang D, Wang D, Wang H, Chang L, Yi X, et al. Systematic comparison of technical details in CBB methods and development of a sensitive GAP stain for comparative proteomic analysis. Electrophoresis. 2012; 33(2):296–306.
9. Shevchenko A, Tomas H, Havlis J, Olsen J V, Mann M. In-gel digestion for mass spectrometric characterization of proteins and proteomes. Nat Protoc. 2006; 1(6):2856–60.
10. Ishihama Y, Rappsilber J, Mann M. Modular Stop and Go Extraction Tips with Stacked Disks for Parallel and Multidimensional Peptide Fractionation in Proteomics. 2006; 988–94.
11. Zhang J, Xin L, Shan B, Chen W, Xie M, Yuen D, et al. PEAKS DB: de novo sequencing assisted database search for sensitive and accurate peptide identification. Mol Cell Proteomics. 2012; 11(4): M111.010587.
12. Bevan M, Bancroft I, Bent E, Love K, Goodman H, Dean C, et al. Analysis of 1.9 Mb of contiguous sequence from chromosome 4 of Arabidopsis thaliana. Nature. Nature Publishing Group; 1998; 391(6666):485–8.
13. Zhang G, Liu X, Quan Z, Cheng S, Xu X, Pan S, et al. Genome sequence of foxtail millet (Setaria italica) provides insights into grass evolution and biofuel potential. Nat Biotechnol 2012; 30(6):549–54.
14. Cipriano AK, Gondim DM, Vasconcelos IM, Martins JA, Moura AA, Moreno FB, Monteiro-Moreira AC, Melo JG, Cardoso JE, Paiva AL, Oliveira JT. Proteomic analysis of responsive stem proteins of resistant and susceptible cashew plants after Lasiodiplodia theobromae infection. Journal of proteomics. 2015 Jan 15; 113:90-109.
15. Wang Y, Loake GJ, Chu C. Cross-talk of nitric oxide and reactive oxygen species in plant programed cell death. Front Plant Sci 2013; 4:314.
16. Henty-Ridilla JL, Li J, Day B, Staiger CJ. ACTIN DEPOLYMERIZING FACTOR4 regulates actin dynamics during innate immune signaling in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 2014; 26(1):340–52.
17. Kawano T. Crosstalk between intracellular and extracellular salicylic acid signaling events leading to long-distance spread of signals. 2013; 1125–38.
156 Absract views 150 PDF Downloads 306 Total views