Published:  Apr 21, 2016DOI: 10.7324/JABB.2016.40208
Plants combat their pathogens with an array of defense responses. One of the key mechanisms involves products of resistance (R) genes which are responsible for recognition of effector molecules from pathogens and subsequent triggering of defense responses. Resistance gene analogues (RGAs) containing the specific conserved domains of R-genes are isolated from various plants using degenerate oligonucleotide primer based PCR approach. In an earlier study, RGPM 301 an RGA from pearl millet shown to be involved in resistance mechanism against downy mildew disease was isolated and characterized. In the present study, RGPM 301 containing an open reading frame (ORF) of 992 amino acids was cloned into pRSET A expression vector and expressed in Escherichia coli as a Hig-tag fusion protein. The recombinant RGA RGPM 301 was purified to near homogeneity using the Nickel-CL agarose column. Its molecular mass was found to be 120 kDa when separated on the SDS-PAGE which was confirmed by western blotting analysis using the anti-His antibody. The purified protein was subjected to in-gel trypsin digestion followed by mass spectrometric analysis for the confirmation of its identity. These findings facilitate further studies on the exact role of this RGA in the pearl millet downy mildew host pathogen system.
Veena M., Melvin P, Shailasree S., Kini KR. Cloning, expression and purification of resistance gene analogue RGPM 301 from pearl millet in Escherichia coli. J App Biol Biotech, 2016; 4 (02): 053-059. DOI: 10.7324/JABB.2016.40208
1. Holt BF, Hubert DA, Dangl JL. Resistance gene signaling in plants-complex similarities to animal innate immunity. Current Opinion in Immunology. 2003; 15: 20-25.
2. Sekhwal MK, Li P, Lam I, Wang X, Cloutier S, You FM. Disease resistance gene analogs (RGAs) in plants. International Journal of Molecular Sciences. 2015; 16: 19248-19290.
3. Dangl L, Jones J. Plant pathogens and integrated defense responses to infection. Nature. 2001; 411: 826-833.
4. Hammond-Kosack KE, Jones JD. Plant disease resistance genes. Annual review of plant physiology and plant molecular biology. 1997; 48: 575-607.
5. Hulbert SH, Webb CA, Smith SM, Sun Q. Resistance gene complexes: Evolution and utilization. Annual Review of Phytopathology. 2001; 39: 285-312.
6. Sharma TR, Das A, Kumar SP, Lodha ML. Resistance gene analogues as a tool for rapid identification and cloning of disease resistance genes in plants-a review. Journal of Plant Biochemistry and Biotechnology. 2009; 18:1-11.
7. He L, Du C, Covaleda L, Xu Z, Robinson AF, Yu JZ, Kohel RJ, Zhang HB. Cloning, characterization, and evolution of the NBS-LRR encoding resistance gene analogue family in polyploid cotton (Gossypium hirsutum L.). Molecular Plant-Microbe Interactions. 2004; 17: 1234-1241.
8. Yesilirmak F, Sayers Z. Heterologous expression of plant genes. International Journal of Plant Genomics. 2009 May 24; doi:10.1155/2009/296482.
9. Yadav OP, Rai KN. Genetic improvement of pearl millet in India. Agricultural Research. 2013; 2: 275-292.
10. Upadhyaya HD, Reddy KN, Gowda CLL. Pearl millet germplasm at ICRISAT genebank -status and impact. SAT eJournal. 2007; 3: 1-5. doi: 10.1017/s1479262110000365.
11. Thakur RP, Rao VP, Sharma R. Influence of dosage, storage time and temperature on efficacy of metalaxyl-treated seed for the control of pearl millet downy mildew. European Journal of Plant Pathology. 2011; 129: 353-359.
12. Lin WC, Lu CF, Wu JW, Cheng ML, Lin YM, Yang NS, Black L, Green SK, Wang FJ, Cheng PC. Transgenic tomato plants expressing the Arabidopsis NPR1 gene display enhanced resistance to a spectrum of fungal and bacterial diseases. Transgenic research. 2004; 13: 567-581.
13. Ramachandra SB, Sathyanarayana NR, Subramonium S, Shetty SH. Isolation, cloning and characterization of Resistance Gene Analogues in Pearl Millet based on conserved nucleotide binding sites. Journal of Phytopathology. 2011; 159: 382-389.
14. Veena M, Melvin P, Prabhu SA, Shailasree S, Shetty SH, Kini KR. Molecular cloning of a coiled-coil-nucleotide-binding-site-leucine-rich repeat gene from pearl millet and its expression pattern in response to the downy mildew pathogen. Molecular Biology Reports. 2016; 43: 117-128.
15. Sambrook J, Fritsch EF, Maniatis T. In: Nolan C (ed) Molecular cloning: a laboratory manual. Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, Cold Spring Harbor.1989
16. Laemmli UK. Cleavage of structural proteins during the assembly of the head of bacteriophage T4. Nature. 1970; 227: 680-685.
17. Ray S, Kamath KS, Srivastava R, Raghu D, Gollapalli K, Jain R, Gupta SV, Ray S, Taur S, Dhali S. Serum proteome analysis of vivax malaria: An insight into the disease pathogenesis and host immune response. Journal of proteomics. 2012. 75; 3063-3080.
18. Rappsilber J, Ishihama Y, Mann M. Stop and go extraction tips for matrix-assisted laser desorption/ionization, nanoelectrospray and LC/MS sample pretreatment in proteomics. Analytical Chemistry. 2003; 75: 663-670.
19. Bolanos-Garcia VM, Davies OR. Structural analysis and classification of native proteins from E. coli commonly co-purified by immobilised metal affinity chromatography. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta. 2006; 1760: 1304-1313.
20. Ranjini P, Shailasree S, Kini KR, Shetty HS. Isolation and characterisation of a NBS-LRR resistance gene analogue from pearl millet. Archives of Phytopathology and Plant Protection. 2011; 44: 1014-1024.
21. Tameling WI, Elzinga SD, Darmin PS, Vossen JH, Takken FL, Haring MA, Cornelissen BJ. The tomato R gene products I-2 and MI-1 are functional ATP-binding proteins with ATPase activity. Plant Cell. 2002; 14: 2929-2939.
22. Fenyk S, Campillo Ade S, Pohl E., Hussey PJ, Cann MJ. A nucleotide phosphatase activity in the nucleotide binding domain of an orphan resistance protein from rice. The Journal of Biological Chemistry. 2012; 287: 4023-4032.
23. Jia Y, McAdams SA, Bryan GT, Hershey HP, Valent B. Direct interaction of resistance gene and avirulence gene products confers rice blast resistance. The EMBO Journal. 2000; 19: 4004-4014.
24. Afzal AJ, Lightfoot DA. Soybean disease resistance protein RHG1-LRR domain expressed, purified and refolded from Escherichia coli inclusion bodies: preparation for a functional analysis. Protein Expression and Purification. 2007; 53: 346-355.
25. Schmidt SA, Williams SJ, Wang CIA, Sornaraj P, James B, Kobe B, Dodds PN, Ellis JG, Anderson PA. Purification of the M flax-rust resistance protein expressed in Pichia pastoris. The Plant Journal. 2007; 50: 1107-1117.
211 Absract views 158 PDF Downloads 369 Total views