Published:  Jan 07, 2022DOI: 10.7324/JABB.2021.100106
The purpose of the present research was to study the diversity of bacterial endophytes inhabiting the halophytic plant black saxaul (Haloxylon aphyllum Minkw.). A total of 20 bacterial isolates were isolated from tissues of black saxaul and identified based on their 16S rRNA genes analysis and comparison with the closest relatives registered in GenBank nucleotide data bank from the National Centre for Biotechnology Information. The endophytes were checked for plant growth-promoting activity toward cucumber plants and the strains Bacillus amyloliquefaciens HAPH2, Priestia endophytica HAPH5, Bacillus subtilis HAPH7, Bacillus toyonensis HAPH8, Halomonas sulfidaeris HAPH11, Isoptericola halotolerans HAPH12, Planomicrobium soli HAPH15, and Pseudomonas kilonensis HAPH16 demonstrated high plant growth-promoting activity of cucumber in four soil salinity levels (0, 25, 50, and 100 mM) after seeds’ inoculation. These bacterial endophytes were able to fix nitrogen, solubilize phosphates, and produce indole-3-acetic acid, 1-aminocyclopropane-1-carboxylate deaminase, and siderophores which are considered as the main plant growth-promoting traits. After field experiments, the best plant growth-promoters can be used as bioinoculants for plants’ growth improvement in salinity conditions.
Shurigin V, Alikulov B, Davranov K, Ismailov Z. Bacterial endophytes from halophyte black saxaul (Haloxylon aphyllum Minkw.) and their plant growth-promoting properties. J Appl Biol Biotech. 2021;10(01):45–53.
1. Shuyskaya EV, Gismatullina LG, Toderich KH, Voronin PY, Soldatova NV. Genetic differentiation of black saxaul, Haloxylon aphyllum (Chenopodiaceae), along a soil salinity gradient in the Kyzylkum desert. Russ J Ecol 2012;43(4):302–6.
2. Zhaglovskaya AA, Aidosova SS, Akhtayeva NZ, Mamurova AT, Yessimova DD, Azhaev GS. Anthropogenic impacts on population structure and floristic composition of black saxaul (Haloxylon aphyllum Minkw.) woodlands in Ili Delta region, Kazakhstan. Ecol Environ Conserv 2016;22(3):1565–75.
3. Fedorovich BA, Babaev AG, Owen L. Karakum desert. Encyclopedia Britannica. 2018. Available via https://www.britannica.com/place/Karakum-Desert
4. Buras A, Wucherer W, Zerbe S, Noviskiy Z, Muchitdinov N. Allometric variability of Haloxylon species in Central Asia. Ecol Manage 2012;274:1–9.
5. Gintzburger G, Toderich KN, Mardonov BK, Makhmudov MM. Rangelands of the arid and semi-arid zones in Uzbekistan. Montpellier(France) CIRAD/ICARDA: Centre de Cooperation Internationale en Resherche Agronomique pour le Development (CIRAD), 2003.
6. Pyankov VI, Black CC, Artyusheva EG, Voznesenskaya EV, Ku MSB, Edwards G. Features of photosynthesis in Haloxylon species of Chenopodiaceae that are dominant plants in Central Asia deserts. Plant Cell Physiol 1999;40:125–34.
7. Toderich KN, Shuyskaya EV, Ismail S, Gismatullina LG, Radjabov T, Bekchanov BB, et al. Phytogenic resources of halophytes of Central Asia and their role for rehabilitation of sandy desert degraded rangelands. J Land Degrad Dev 2009;20(4):386–96.
8. Hassan SED. Plant growth-promoting activities for bacterial and fungal endophytes isolated from medicinal plant of Teucrium polium L. J Adv Res 2017;8(6):687–95.
9. Pham VT, Rediers H, Ghequire MG, Nguyen HH, De Mot R, Vanderleyden J, et al. The plant growth-promoting effect of the nitrogen-fixing endophyte Pseudomonas stutzeri A15. Arch Microbiol 2017;199(3):513–7; http://doi.org/10.1007/s00203-016-1332-3
10. Egamberdieva D, Shurigin V, Alaylar B, Wirth S, Bellingrath- Kimura SD. Bacterial endophytes from horseradish (Armoracia rusticana G. Gaertn., B. Mey. & Scherb.) with antimicrobial efficacy against pathogens. Plant Soil Environ 2020;66:309–16; http://doi.org/10.17221/137/2020-PSE
11. Egamberdieva D, Shurigin V, Alaylar B, Ma H, Müller MEH, Wirth S, et al. The effect of biochars and endophytic bacteria on growth and root rot disease incidence of Fusarium infested narrow-leafed lupin (Lupinus angustifolius L.). Microorganisms 2020;8:496; http://doi.org/10.3390/microorganisms8040496
12. Shurigin V, Egamberdieva D, Samadiy S, Mardonova G, Davranov K. Endophytes from medicinal plants as biocontrol agents against Fusarium caused diseases. Microbiol J 2020;82(4):41–52; http://doi.org/10.15407/microbiolj82.04.041
13. Shurigin V, Egamberdieva D, Li L, Davranov K, Panosyan H, Birkeland NK, et al. Endophytic bacteria associated with halophyte Seidlitzia rosmarinus Ehrenb. ex Boiss. from arid land of Uzbekistan and their plant beneficial traits. J Arid Land 2020;12:730–40; http://doi.org/10.1007/s40333-020-0019-4
14. Jayakumar A, Kumar VP, Joseph M, Nair IC, Remakanthan A, Radhakrishnan EK. 3 - Plant growth-promoting mechanisms of endophytes. In: Kumar A, Radhakrishnan EK (eds.). Microbial Endophytes, Woodhead Publishing, pp 57–74, 2020; http://doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-12-819654-0.00003-X
15. Abedinzadeh M, Etesami H, Alikhani HA. Characterization of rhizosphere and endophytic bacteria from roots of maize (Zea mays L) plant irrigated with wastewater with biotechnological potential in agriculture. Biotechnol Rep 2019;21:e00305; http://doi.org/10.1016/j. btre.2019.e00305
16. Jasim B, John Jimtha C, Jyothis M, Radhakrishnan EK. Plant growth promoting potential of endophytic bacteria isolated from Piper nigrum. Plant Growth Regul 2013;71(1):1–11; http://doi.org/10.1007/s10725-013-9802-y
17. Zhang Y, He L, Chen Z, Wang Q, Qian M, Sheng X. Characterization of ACC deaminase-producing endophytic bacteria isolated from copper-tolerant plants and their potential in promoting the growth and copper accumulation of Brassica napus. Chemosphere 2011;83(1)57– 62; http://doi.org/10.1016/j.chemosphere.2011.01.041
18. Oteino N, Lally RD, Kiwanuka S, Lloyd A, Ryan D, Germaine KJ, et al. Plant growth promotion induced by phosphate solubilizing endophytic Pseudomonas isolates. Front Microbiol 2015;6:745; http://doi.org/10.3389/fmicb.2015.00745
19. Islam R, Trivedi P, Madhaiyan M, Seshadri S, Lee G, Yang J, et al. Isolation, enumeration, and characterization of diazotrophic bacteria from paddy soil sample under long-term fertilizer management experiment. Biol Fertil Soils 2009;46(3):261–9; http://doi.org/10.1007/s00374-009-0425-4
20. Jayakumar A, Krishna A, Mohan M, Nair IC, Radhakrishnan EK. Plant growth enhancement, disease resistance, and elemental modulatory effects of plant probiotic endophytic Bacillus sp. Fcl1. Probiotics Antimicrob Proteins 2018;11(2):526–34; http://doi.org/10.1007/s12602-018-9417-8
21. Tan D, Fu L, Han B, Sun X, Zheng P, Zhang J. Identification of an endophytic antifungal bacterial strain isolated from the rubber tree and its application in the biological control of banana fusarium wilt. PLoS One 2015;10(7):e0131974; http://doi.org/10.1371/journal. pone.0131974
22. Coombs JT, Franco CM. Isolation and identification of actinobacteria from surface-sterilized wheat roots. Appl Environ Microbiol 2003;69(9):5603–8.
23. Dashti AA, Jadaon MM, Abdulsamad AM, Dashti HM. Heat treatment of bacteria: a simple method of DNA extraction for molecular techniques. Kuwait Med J 2009;41:117–22.
24. Lane DJ. 16S/23S rRNA sequencing. In: Stackebrandt E, Goodfellow M (eds.). Nucleic Acid Techniques in Bacterial Systematic, John Wiley and Sons, New York, NY, pp 115–75, 1991.
25. Saitou N, Nei M. The neighbor-joining method: a new method for reconstructing phylogenetic trees. Mol Biol Evol 1987;4:406–25.
26. Felsenstein J. Confidence limits on phylogenies: an approach using the bootstrap. Evolution. 1985;39:783–91.
27. Tamura K, Nei M, Kumar S. Prospects for inferring very large phylogenies by using the neighbor-joining method. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 2004;101:11030–5.
28. Kumar S, Stecher G, Li M, Knyaz C, Tamura K. MEGA X: molecular evolutionary genetics analysis across computing platforms. Mol Biol Evol 2018;35:1547–9.
29. Sarwar M, Kremer RJ. Determination of bacterially derived auxins using a microplate method. Lett Appl Microbiol 1995;20:282–5.
30. Kuklinsky-Sobral J, Araújo WL, Mendes R, Geraldi IO, Pizzirani- Kleiner AA, Azevedo JL. Isolation and characterization of soybean-associated bacteria and their potential for plant growth promotion. Environ Microbiol 2004;6:1244–51.
31. Mehta S, Nautiyal CS. An efficient method for qualitative screening of phosphate-solubilizing bacteria. Curr Microbiol 2001;43(1):51–6.
32. Bashan Y, Holguin G, Lifshitz R. Isolation and characterization of plant growth-promoting rhizobacteria. In: Glick BR, Thompson JE (eds.). Methods in Plant Molecular Biology and Biotechnology, CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL, pp 331–45, 1993.
33. Schwyn B, Neilands JB. Universal chemical assay for the detection and determination of siderophores. Anal Biochem 1987;160:45–6.
34. Egamberdieva D, Kucharova Z, Davranov K, Berg G, Makarova N, Azarova T, et al. Bacteria able to control foot and root rot and to promote growth of cucumber in salinated soils. Biol Fertil Soils 2011;47:197–205.
35. Egamberdieva D, Shurigin V, Gopalakrishnan S, Sharma R. Microbial strategies for the improvement of legume production in hostile environments. In: Azooz MM, Ahmad P (eds.). Legumes under environmental stress: yield, improvement and adaptations, John Wiley & Sons Ltd, Chichester, UK, pp 133–44, 2015; http://doi.org/10.1002/9781118917091.ch9
36. Gamez R, Cardinale M, Montes M, Ramirez S, Schnell S, Rodriguez F. Screening, plant growth promotion and root colonization pattern of two rhizobacteria (Pseudomonas fluorescens Ps006 and Bacillus amyloliquefaciens Bs006) on banana cv. Williams (Musa acuminate Colla). Microbiol Res 2019;220:12–20.
37. Park YG, Mun BG, Kang SM, Hussain A, Shahzad R, Seo CW, et al. Bacillus aryabhattai SRB02 tolerates oxidative and nitrosative stress and promotes the growth of soybean by modulating the production of phytohormones. PLoS One 2017;12(3):e0173203; http://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0173203
38. Xu JX, Li ZY, Lv X, Yan H, Zhou GY, Cao LX, et al. Isolation and characterization of Bacillus subtilis strain 1-L-29, an endophytic bacteria from Camellia oleifera with antimicrobial activity and efficient plant-root colonization. PLoS One 2020;15(4):e0232096; http://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0232096
39. Falcao LL, Silva-Werneck JO, Vilarinho BR, da Silva JP, Pomella AWV, Marcellino LH. Antimicrobial and plant growth-promoting properties of the cacao endophyte Bacillus subtilis ALB629. J Appl Microbiol 2014;116(6):1584–92; http://doi.org/10.1111/jam.12485
40. Bolivar-Anillo HJ, González-Rodríguez VE, Cantoral JM, García- Sánchez D, Collado IG, Garrido C. Endophytic bacteria Bacillus subtilis, isolated from Zea mays, as potential biocontrol agent against Botrytis cinerea. Biology 2021;10:492; http://doi.org/10.3390/biology10060492
41. Contreras-Pérez M, Hernández-Salmerón J, Rojas-Solís D, Rocha- Granados C, del Carmen Orozco-Mosqueda M, Parra-Cota FI, et al. Draft genome analysis of the endophyte, Bacillus toyonensis COPE52, a blueberry (Vaccinium spp. var. Biloxi) growth-promoting bacterium. 3 Biotech 2019;9(10):370; http://doi.org/10.1007/s13205-019-1911-5
42. Zhou N, Zhao S, Tian CY. Effect of halotolerant rhizobacteria isolated from halophytes on the growth of sugar beet (Beta vulgaris L.) under salt stress. FEMS Microbiol Lett 2017;364(11):fnx091; http://doi.org/10.1093/femsle/fnx091
43. Leghari SJ, Wahocho NA, Laghari GM, Laghari AH, Bhabhan GM, Talpur KA, et al. Role of nitrogen for plant growth and development: a review. Adv Environ Biol 2016;10(9):209–19.
44. Galloway JN, Cowling EB. Reactive nitrogen and the world: 200 years of change. J Hum Environ 2002;31(2):64–71; http://doi.org/10.1579/0044-7447-31.2.64
45. Muangthong A, Youpensuk S, Rerkasem B. Isolation and characterisation of endophytic nitrogen fixing bacteria in sugarcane. Trop Life Sci Res 2015;26(1):41–51.
46. Yadav AN. Biodiversity and biotechnological applications of hostspecific endophytic fungi for sustainable agriculture and allied sectors. Acta Sci Microbiol 2018;1:44; http://doi.org/10.31080/ASMI.2018.01.0044
47. Gao FK, Dai CC, Liu XZ. Mechanisms of fungal endophytes in plant protection against pathogens. Afr J Microbiol Res 2010;4:1346–51.
48. Gao D, Tao Y. Current molecular biologic techniques for characterizing environmental microbial community. Front Environ Sci Eng 2012;6:82–97; http://doi.org/10.1007/s11783-011-0306-6
49. Glick BR, Penrose DM, Li J. A model for the lowering of plant ethylene concentrations by plant growth-promoting bacteria. J Theor Biol 1998;190:63–8; http://doi.org/10.1006/jtbi.1997.0532
50. Rajkumar M, Ae N, Prasad MNV, Freitas H. Potential of siderophore-producing bacteria for improving heavy metal phytoextraction. Trends Biotechnol 2010;28:142–9; http://doi.org/10.1016/j. tibtech.2009.12.002
6 Absract views 15 PDF Downloads 21 Total views
Bioconversion of sugarcane molasses to poly(3-hydroxybutyrate-co-3- hydroxyvalerate) by endophytic Bacillus cereus RCL 02Rituparna Das, Arundhati Pal, Amal Kanti Paul
Identification, evaluation and optimization of a minimum simple sequence repeat marker set for triticale breedingW.C. Botes and D. Bitalo
Isolation and identification of pathogenic microbes from tomato puree and their delineation of distinctness by molecular techniquesR.K. Garg, N. Batav, N. Silawat, R.K. Singh
Repetitive PCR based detection of Genetic Diversity in Xanthomonas axonopodis pv citri StrainsMinhaj Arshiya, Alka Suryawanshi, Digamber More, Mirza Mushtaq Vaseem Baig
Genetic divergence and gene flow in three populations of Notopterus notopterus (Pallas, 1769), Madhya PradeshGarg RK , Dhanaxi Chaturvedi, Batav N, R. Sharma, Singh RK
Biodiversity of arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi of pumpkins (Cucurbita spp.) under the influence of fertilizers in ferralitic soils of Cameroon and BeninJudith Taboula Mbogne , Carine Nono Temegne , Pascal Hougnandan, Emmanuel Youmbi , Libert Brice Tonfack , Godswill Ntsomboh-Ntsefong
Genetic diversity and phylogenetic analyses of culturable extremely haloarchaea isolated from marine solar saltern pond in Mumbai, IndiaDipak T. Nagrale , Renu, Priyanka Das
Phenotypic and genotypic diversity of Xanthomonas axonopodis pv. manihotis causing bacterial blight disease of cassava in KenyaMary N. Chege , Fred Wamunyokoli, Joseph Kamau, Evans N. Nyaboga
A comparative study of tree species composition of Panjhora forest beat and Sipchu forest beat of Chalsa forest range, West Bengal, IndiaAnup Kumar Sarkar, Manas Dey, Mallika Mazumder
Assessment of genetic diversity in Shorea robusta: an economically important tropical tree speciesGiridara-Kumar Surabhi, Subhankar Mohanty, Rajesh Kumar Meher, Arup Kumar Mukherjee, Lakshmi Narayana R.Vemireddy
Genetic drift in six cultivated populations of Terminalia arjunaPramod Kumar Sairkar, Shweta Chouhan, Amit Sen, Rajesh Sharma, Raj Kumar Singh
Beneficial microbiomes: Biodiversity and potential biotechnological applications for sustainable agriculture and human healthAjar Nath Yadav, Rajesh Kumar, Sunil Kumar, Vinod Kumar, TCK Sugitha, Bhanumati Singh, Vinay Singh Chauahan, Harcharan Singh Dhaliwal, Anil Kumar Saxena
Biodiversity and biotechnological applications of halophilic microbes for sustainable agricultureAjar Nath Yadav, Anil Kumar Saxena
Biodiversity of psychrotrophic microbes and their biotechnological applicationsAjar Nath Yadav, Neelam Yadav, Shashwati Ghosh Sachan, Anil Kumar Saxena
Genome complexity of begomovirus disease and a concern in agro-economic lossHanjabam Joykishan Sharma, Susheel Kumar Sharma, Nongthombam Bidyananda Singh
Bioprospecting of phosphorus solubilizing bacteria from Renuka Lake Ecosystems, Lesser HimalayasDivjot Kour, Kusam Lata Rana, Neelam Yadav, Ajar Nath Yadav
Assessment of plant genetic variations using molecular markers: A reviewHasnain Hussain, Mehvish Nisar
Distribution and diversity of endophytic fungi associated with three medicinal tree species from Eturnagaram Wildlife Sanctuary, TS, IndiaBhavani Vemireddy, Abhinesh Madasi, Aruna Ajmeera, Krishna Reddy Vanteru
Comparative morphological, histological, and RAPD analysis of Columba livia domestica strainsDalia A. Sabry, Yosra A. Fouda
Beneficial plant-microbe interactions for agricultural sustainabilityAjar Nath Yadav
Assessing genetic diversity and DNA barcodes efficiency of Salacia and related species from Western Ghats, KarnatakaAbhijeet S. Badiger, Maruthi Katenahally Rudrappa, Shrisha Naik Bajpe
Microbial biotechnology for bio-prospecting of microbial bioactive compounds and secondary metabolitesAjar Nath Yadav
Diversity and susceptibility pattern of medically important bacteria isolated from intestinal tract of Hemidactylus frenatus in Ilishan-Remo, Ogun StateOgheneochuko Favour Ogbodogbo, Cajethan Onyebuchi Ezeamagu, Joy Ndidiamaka Barns
Biodiversity and bioprospecting of extremophilic microbiomes for agro-environmental sustainabilityAjar Nath Yadav
Biodiversity of cyanobacteria in fresh water ponds of Pudukkottai district, Tamil Nadu, IndiaDhanalakshmi Jayakumar, Jeevan Pandiyan
Molecular diversity and phylogenetic analysis of exopolymer producing fungal strains isolated from Krishna river mangrove sedimentsAnnavarapu Mohana Ventaka Naga Prathyusha, Venkateswarulu Nagam, Chanda Vikrant Berde, Siva Saikiran Badithala, Muni Ramanna Gari Subhosh Chandra, Tummala Chandra Sekhar, Veera Bramhachari Pallaval
Screening and characterization of siderophore producing endophytic bacteria from Cicer arietinum and Pisum sativum plantsRajat Maheshwari, Namita Bhutani, Pooja Suneja
Bioprospecting of endophytic bacteria from the Indian Himalayas and their role in plant growth promotion of maize (Zea mays L.)Kusam Lata Rana, Divjot Kour, Tanvir Kaur, Rubee Devi, Ashok Yadav, Ajar Nath Yadav
Salinity and drought response alleviate caffeine content of young leaves of Coffea canephora var. Robusta cv. S274Avinash Kumar,Gyanendra Kumar Naik,P. S. Simmi,Parvatam Giridhar
Comparative three way analysis of biochemical responses in cereal and millet crops under salinity stressRitika Bhatt, Prem Prakash Asopa, Santosh Sihag, Rakesh Sharma, Sumita Kachhwaha, S.L. Kothari
Physiological and biochemical characterization of Sesamum germplasms tolerant to NaClTapaswini Hota, C. Pradhan, G. R. Rout
Evaluation of salt tolerance ability in some fig (Ficus carica L.) cultivars using tissue culture techniqueHemaid Ibrahim Ahemaidan Soliman, Mohamed R. A. Abd Alhady
Effect of different polyamines on some physiological traits, growth, and development of basil (Ocimum basilicum L.) in salt stress under hydroponic culture conditionsKhatereh Nejadasgari Chokami, Vahid Abdossi, Saeid Samavat, Alireza Ladan Moghadam, Pezhman Moradi