Published:  Jan 07, 2022DOI: 10.7324/JABB.2021.100121
The present study was carried out to isolate, purify, and characterize protease from the seeds of Cyamopsis tetragonoloba. The protease was precipitated by a 60% ammonium sulfate cut and further purified by elution from ion-exchange chromatography at 0.3 M NaCl. The sodium dodecyl sulfate-polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis result showed that protease was monomeric having 69.9 kDa molecular weight. Gelatin zymography was carried out to confirm the proteolytic activity of the protease. The protease has a wide range of substrate specificity and could cleave natural substrates like casein, gelatin, bovine serum albumin (BSA), hemoglobin (Hb), and synthetic substrate like N-αBenzoyl-DL-arginine ?-nitroanilide (BAPNA). The Vmax value of the protease was 102.04 μM/minute with casein as the substrate and Km value was 56.56 μM/minute. The purified protease was completely inhibited by serine proteases inhibitors like Phenyl Methyl Sulfonyl Fluoride, soybean trypsin inhibitor, and aprotinin, and not inhibited by other protease inhibitors. This concluded that the purified protease was serine protease. The protease was highly stable at a wide range of temperatures from 20°C to 70°C. Gelatin showed the highest proteolytic activity when compared to the casein, Hb, and BSA. BAPNA showed 1.5101 U/mg specific activity. The sugar content of protease was estimated by the method of DuBois. The protease was highly glycosylated and contained 35 μg of sugar in 0.2 mg of protease.
Rawaliya RK, Patidar P, Sharma S, Hajela K. Purification and biochemical characterization of protease from the seeds of Cyamopsis tetragonoloba. J Appl Biol Biotech. 2022;10(01):172-180.
1. Rai PS, Dharmatti PR, Shashidhar TR, Patil RV, Patil BR. Genetic variability studies in cluster bean [Cyamopsis tetragonoloba (L.) Taub] Karnataka. J Agri Sci 2012;25:108-11.
2. El Kheir S, Abdalla AH, Nouri SH. Quality assessment of guar gum endosperm of gaur (Cyamopsis tetragonoloba). ISCA J Biol Sci 2012;1:67-70.
3. Bhatt RK, Jukanti AK, Roy MM. Cluster bean [Cyamopsis tetragonoloba (L.) Taub], an important industrial arid legume: a review. Agri Res Commun Center 2015;3599:1-8.
4. Kumar D, Rodge AB. Status, scope and strategies of arid legumes research in India a review. J Food Legum 2012;25:255-72.
5. Khan H, Ali A, Khan U. Purification and biochemical characterization of alkaline serine from Caesalpinia bonducella. Nat Prod Commun 2010;5(6):931-4. https://doi.org/10.1177/1934578X1000500625
6. Patel S, Ricucci D, Durak C, Tay F. Internal root resorption: a review. J Endod 2010;36(7):1107-21. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.joen.2010.03.014
7. Vogts G, Woell S, Argos P. Protein thermal stability, hydrogen bonds and ion pairs. J Mol Biol 1997;269:4631-43 https://doi.org/10.1006/jmbi.1997.1042
8. Hirata A, Hori Y, Koga Y, Okada J, Sakudo A, Ikuta A, et al. Enzymatic activity of a substantially in-home bolo TK SP from thermococcus in detergent and its stability to degrade the normal free on protein. BMC Biotechnol 2013;13:19. https://doi.org/10.1186/1472-6750-13-19
9. Kurepa J, Wang S, Li Y, Smalle J. Proteasomes regulation, plant growth and stress tolerance. Plant Signal Behav 2009;4(10):924-7. https://doi.org/10.4161/psb.4.10.9469
10. Adam Z. Emerging roles for diverse intramembrane proteäses in plant biology. Biochem Biophys Act 2013;1828(12):2933-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bbamem.2013.05.013
11. Jashni MK, Mehrabi R, Collemare J, Mesarich CH, de Wit PJGM. The battle in the last further insights into the role of proteus and their innovation in plant pathogens and fractions. Front Plant Sci 2015;6:584. https://doi.org/10.3389/fpls.2015.00584
12. Mosolov VV, Valueva TA. Participation of proteolytic enzymes in the interaction of the plants with phytopathogenic microorganisms. Biochemistry 2006;71(8):838-45. https://doi.org/10.1134/S0006297906080037
13. Shine K, Kanimozhi K, Panneerselvam A, Muthukumar C, Thajuddin N. Production and optimisation of alkaline protease by Bacillus cereus RS3 isolated from desert soil. Int J Adv Res Biol Sci 2016;3(7):193- 202.
14. Turk B. Targeting proteases: successes, failures and future prospects. Nat Rev Drug Dis 2006;5(9):785-99. https://doi.org/10.1038/nrd2092
15. Lopez Otin C, Bond JS. Proteases: multifunctional enzymes in life and diseases. J Biol Chem 2008;283(45):30433-7. https://doi.org/10.1074/jbc.R800035200
16. Folin O, Ciocalteu V. On tyrosine and tryptophane determinations in proteins. J Biol Chem 1929;73:627. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0021-9258(18)84277-6
17. Kembhavi AA, Kulkarni A, Pant a salt-tolerant and thermostable alkaline protease from Bacillus subtilis NCIM No. 64. Appl Biochem Biotechnol 1993;38:83-92. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02916414
18. Arnon R. Papain. Meth Enzymol 1970;19:226-44. https://doi.org/10.1016/0076-6879(70)19017-3
19. Laemmli UK. Cleavage of structural protein during the assembly of head of bacteriophage T4. Nature (London) 1970;227:680-5. https://doi.org/10.1038/227680a0
20. Bernardino-Niccanor A, Scilingo AA, Anon CM, Davila-Otiz. Guava seed storage: fractionation and characterization. LWT 2006;39:902- 10. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lwt.2005.06.006
21. Heussen C, Dowdle EB. Electrophoresis plasminogen activators acrylamide gel containing sodium dodecyl sulfate and copolymerized substrate. Anal Biochem 1980;102:196-202. https://doi.org/10.1016/0003-2697(80)90338-3
22. Merino-Contreras ML, Sanchez-Morales F, Jimenez-Badillo ML, Alverrez-Gonalez CA. Partial purification of digestive protesa in sheepshead Archosargus probatocephalus (Spariformis: Spaidae). Neotrop Ichthyol 2018;16(4):e180020. https://doi.org/10.1590/1982-0224-20180020
23. DuBois M, Gillies KA, Hamilton JK, Rebes PA, Smith F. Colorimetric method for the determination of sugars and related substances. Anal Chem 1956;2:350-7. https://doi.org/10.1021/ac60111a017
24. Englard S, Seifter S. Precipitation technique. Methods Enzymol 1990;182:285-300. https://doi.org/10.1016/0076-6879(90)82024-V
25. Antao CM, Malcata FX. Plant serine proteases; biochemical, physiological and molecular features. Plant Physiol Biochem 2005;43(7):637-50. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.plaphy.2005.05.001
26. Singh KA, Kumar R, Rao JRK, Jagannadham MV. Crinumin, chymotrypsin-like but glycosylated serine protease from Crinum asiaticum purification and physicochemical characterization. Food Chem 2010;119:1352-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2009.09.012
27. Bogacheva AM, Rudenskaya GN, Preusser A, Tchikileva IO, Dunaevsky YE, Stepano VM. A subtilisin-like a protease from roots of the dandelion Taraxcum officinale Webb S.L. Biochem (Mosc) 1999;64:1030-7.
28. Asif -Ullah M, Kim K, Yu YG. Purification and characterization of serine protease from Cucumis trigonus Roxburghii. Phytochemistry 2006;67:870-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.phytochem.2006.02.020
29. Panicker LM, Usha R, Roy S, Mandal C. Purification and characterization of a serine protease (CESP)from mature coconut endosperm. BMC Res 2009;2:81. https://doi.org/10.1186/1756-0500-2-81
30. Tomar R, Kumar R, Jagannadham MV. A stable serine protease, wrightin from the latex of the plant Wrightia tinctoria (Roxb.) purification and biochemical. J Agri Food Chem 2008;56:1479-87. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf0726536
31. Sellami-Kamoun A, Haddar A, El -Hadi Ali N, Ghorbel-Frikha B, Kanoun S,Nasri M Stability of thermostable alkaline protease from Bacillius licheniformis RP1 in commercisl solid laundry detergent formulations. Microbiol Res 2006;163(2008):299-306. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.micres.2006.06.001
32. Goncalves RN, Gozzini-Barbosa SD, daSilva-Lopez RE. Proteases from canavalia ensiformis: active and thermostable enzymes with potential of application in biotechnology. Biotechnol Res Int 2016;11. https://doi.org/10.1155/2016/3427098
33. Tripathi P, Tomar R, Jagannadham MV Purification and biochemical characterization of novel protease streblin. Food Chem 2011;125:1005-12. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2010.09.108
34. Arima K, Uchikoba T, Shimada M, YoneZawa H, Kened M. Cucumisin-like protease from the latex of Euphorbia supina. Phytochemistry 2000;53:639-44. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0031-9422(99)00605-6
35. Demartini DR. Wlodawer A, Carlini CR. A comparative study of the expression of serine proteinase in quiescent seeds and in developing Canavalia ensiformis plants. J Exp Bot 2007;58:521-32. https://doi.org/10.1093/jxb/erl223
36. Hart W, Kelly WG, Blomberg MA, Roqemore EP, Dong LY, Kreppel L, et al. Glycosylation of nuclear and cytoplasmic protein is as abundant and as dynamic as phosphorylation. In: Wieland F, Reutter W (eds.). Glyco and Cellbiology, Springer, Heidelberg, Germany, pp 90-103, 1994. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-642-78729-4_10
37. Sharma A, Kumari M, Jagannadham MV. Benghalnesis, a highly stable serine protease from latex of medicinal plant Ficus benghalensis. J Agric Food Chem 2009;57:11120-6. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf902279u
0 Absract views 6 PDF Downloads 6 Total views
Cloning, expression and purification of resistance gene analogue RGPM 301 from pearl millet in Escherichia coliMariswamy Veena, Prasad Melvin, Sekhar Shailasree, Kukkundoor Ramachandra Kini
Purification and characterization of tannase from the local isolate of Aspergillus nigerSaja Taha Yaseen Al-Mraai, Dhia Falih Al-Fekaiki, Alaa Jabbar Abd Al-Manhel
Purification and biochemical characterization of pectinase produced by Aspergillus fumigatus isolated from soil of decomposing plant materialsRaphael Emuebie Okonji, Babamotemi Oluwasola Itakorode, Julius Ovie Ovumedia, Odunayo Selimot Adedeji
Partial purification and characterization of lectin from serum of American cockroach, Periplaneta americanaReymend Encily Martin, Yogita Raosaheb Channe
Partial purification and characterization of antimicrobial peptide from the hemolymph of cockroach Periplaneta americanaReymend Encily Martin, Yogita Raosaheb Channe
Purification, characterization of α-galactosidase from a novel Bacillus megaterium VHM1, and its applications in the food industryAravind Gouda G. Patil, Naganagouda V. Kote, A. C. Manjula, T. Vishwanatha
Cloning and expression of a GH11 xylanase from Bacillus pumilus SSP-34 in Pichia pastoris GS115: Purification and characterizationSagar Krishna Bhat, Kavya Purushothaman, Appu Rao Gopala Rao Appu Rao, K Ramachandra Kini