Published:  Jan 07, 2022DOI: 10.7324/JABB.2021.100119
Hot water extraction of edible mushrooms Pleurotus ostreatus and Agaricus bisporus at 90°C for 4 hours yielded a polysaccharide fraction containing crude β-glucan. Qualitative and quantitative analyses of the samples were carried out to identify the presence and abundance of carbohydrates. Diethylaminoethyl (DEAE) Sephacel column chromatography followed by affinity chromatography in an agarose-bound Concanavalin A column resulted in purified β-glucan. β-glucan was confirmed through the presence of unique functional groups present in it by using the Fourier transform infrared spectrum technique. Soy milk fortified with β-glucan was formulated, and this can alleviate the rate of obesity and related diseases caused by high calorific carbonated beverages. The further scope of the study involves sensory analysis and commercialization of the product.
Kumaresan K, Gopalakrishnan S, Sivasamy RK, Alagu T, Sathishkumar T. Fortification of soy milk with prebiotic natural β-glucan derived from edible mushrooms Pleurotus ostreatus and Agaricus bisporus. J Appl Biol Biotech. 2022;10(01):157-163.
1. Eweis DS, Abed F, Stiban J. Carbon dioxide in carbonated beverages induces ghrelin release and increased food consumption in male rats: implications on the onset of obesity. Obes Res Clin Pract 2017;11(5):534-43. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.orcp.2017.02.001
2. Vartanian LR, Schwartz MB, Brownell KD. Effects of soft drink consumption on nutrition and health: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Am J Public Health 2007;97:667-75. https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2005.083782
3. Popkin BM, Armstrong LE, Bray GM, Caballero B, Frei B, Willett WC. A new proposed guidance system for beverage consumption in the United States. Am J Clin Nutr 2006;83:529-42. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn.83.3.529
4. Tandel KR. Sugar substitutes: health controversy over perceived benefits. J Pharmacol Pharmacother 2011;2(4):236. https://doi.org/10.4103/0976-500X.85936
5. Chalupa-Krebzdak S, Long CJ, Bohrer BM. Nutrient density and nutritional value of milk and plant-based milk alternatives. Int Dairy J 2018;87:84-92. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.idairyj.2018.07.018
6. Sethi S, Tyagi SK, Anurag RK. Plant-based milk alternatives an emerging segment of functional beverages: a review. J Food Sci Technol 2016;53:3408-23. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13197-016-2328-3
7. Dan Ramdath D, Padhi EMT, Sarfaraz S, Renwick S, Duncan AM. Beyond the cholesterol-lowering effect of soy protein: a review of the effects of dietary soy and its constituents on risk factors for cardiovascular disease. Nutrients 2017;9:324. https://doi.org/10.3390/nu9040324
8. Erdman J. Soy protein and cardiovascular disease: a statement for healthcare professionals from the nutrition committee of the AHA. Circulation 2000;102:2555-9. https://doi.org/10.1161/01.CIR.102.20.2555
9. Maleki Z, Jazayeri S, Eslami O, Shidfar F, Hosseini AF, Agah S, et al. Effect of soy milk consumption on glycemic status, blood pressure, fibrinogen and malondialdehyde in patients with non-alcoholic fatty liver disease: a randomized controlled trial. Complement Ther Med 2019;44:44-50. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ctim.2019.02.020
10. Ahmad A, Anjum FM, Zahoor T, Nawaz H, Dilshad SMR. Beta glucan: a valuable functional ingredient in foods. Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr 2012;52:201-12. https://doi.org/10.1080/10408398.2010.499806
11. Lam KL, Cheung PCK. Non-digestible long chain beta-glucans as novel prebiotics. Bioact Carbohydr Dietary Fibre 2013;2:45-64. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bcdf.2013.09.001
12. Mäkeläinen H, Anttila H, Sihvonen J, Hietanen RM, Tahvonen R, Salminen E, et al. The effect of β-glucan on the glycemic and insulin index. Eur J Clin Nutr 2007;61(6):779-85. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.ejcn.1602561
13. Liatis S, Tsapogas P, Chala E, Dimosthenopoulos C, Kyriakopoulos K, Kapantais E, et al. The consumption of bread enriched with betaglucan reduces LDL-cholesterol and improves insulin resistance in patients with type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Metab 2009;35(2):115-20. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.diabet.2008.09.004
14. Singdevsachan SK, Auroshree P, Mishra J, Baliyarsingh B, Tayung K, Thatoi H. Mushroom polysaccharides as potential prebiotics with their antitumor and immunomodulating properties: a review. Bioact Carbohydr Dietary Fibre 2016;7:1-4. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bcdf.2015.11.001
15. Uddin Pk M, Sayful Islam M, Pervin R, Dutta S, Talukder RI, Rahman M. Optimization of extraction of antioxidant polysaccharide from Pleurotus ostreatus (Jacq.) P. Kumm and its cytotoxic activity against murine lymphoid cancer cell line. PLoS One 2019;14(1):e0209371. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0209371
16. Atila F, Owaid MN, Shariati MA. The nutritional and medical benefits of Agaricus Bisporus: a review. J Microbiol Biotechnol Food Sci 2017;2021:281-6. https://doi.org/10.15414/jmbfs.2017/22.214.171.1241-286
17. Bobek P, Nosálová V, Cerná S. Effect of pleuran (β-glucan from Pleurotus ostreatus) in diet or drinking fluid on colitis in rats. Nahrung 2001;45(5):360-3. https://doi.org/10.1002/1521-3803(20011001)45:5<360::AID-FOOD360>3.0.CO;2-C
18. Smiderle FR, Olsen LM, Carbonero ER, Baggio CH, Freitas CS, Marcon R, et al. Anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties in a rodent model of a (1→3),(1→6)-linked β-glucan isolated from Pleurotus pulmonarius. Eur J Pharmacol 2008;597(1-3):86-91. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejphar.2008.08.028
19. Synytsya A, Mí?ková K, Synytsya A, Jablonský I, Sp?vá?ek J, Erban V, et al. Glucans from fruit bodies of cultivated mushrooms Pleurotus ostreatus and Pleurotus eryngii: structure and potential prebiotic activity. Carbohydr Polym 2009;76(4):548-56. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.carbpol.2008.11.021
20. Srikaeo K, Thongta R. Effects of sugarcane, palm sugar, coconut sugar and sorbitol on starch digestibility and physicochemical properties of wheat based foods. Int Food Res J 2015;22(3):923-9.
21. Chitisankul WT, Shimada K, Omizu Y, Uemoto Y, Varanyanond W, Tsukamoto C. Mechanism of DDMP-saponin degradation and maltol production in soymilk preparation. LWT Food Sci Technol 2015;64(1):197-204. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lwt.2015.05.023
22. Wasser S. Medicinal mushrooms as a source of antitumor and immunomodulating polysaccharides. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 2002;60:258-74. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00253-002-1076-7
23. Garriga M, Almaraz M, Marchiaro A, Nacional De La U, San P, Bosco J, et al. Determination of reducing sugars in extracts of Undaria pinnatifida (harvey) algae by UV-visible spectrophotometry (DNS method). Actas Ing 2017;3:444.
24. Mecozzi M. Estimation of total carbohydrate amount in environmental samples by the phenol-sulphuric acid method assisted by multivariate calibration. Chemom Intell Lab Syst 2005;79(1-2):84-90. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chemolab.2005.04.005
25. Palczewska M, Batta G, Groves P. Concanavalin A-agarose removes mannan impurities from an extracellularly expressed Pichia pastoris recombinant protein. Cell Mol Biol Lett 2003;8(3):783-92.
26. Deniz DT, Çolak ÖF. Discrimination of Daedaleopsis nitida mushrooms that growing in different environments using fourier transform infrared spectroscopy. Sigma J Eng Nat Sci Mühendislik ve Fen Bilim Derg 2018;36(2):577-82.
27. Adebiyi AO, Oyedeji AA, Tedela PO. Effect of different drying methods on the nutritional quality of an edible mushroom-Pleurotus sajor-caju widely consumed in Nigeria. J Adv Food Sci Technol [Internet] 2018;42-6. Available via https://www.ikppress.org/index. php/JAFSAT/article/view/3746(Accessed 16 August 2021).
28. Kic P. Mushroom drying characteristics and changes of colour. In 17th International Scientific Conference: Engineering for Rural Development, Jelgava, Latvia, 2018. https://doi.org/10.22616/ERDev2018.17.N009
29. Shaik J. Study on preliminary phytochemical screening and anti ulcer activity of Agaricus bisporus. J Pharmacogn Phytochem [Internet] 2018;7(5):2015-9. Available via https://www.phytojournal.com/ archives/2018.v7.i5.5856/study-on-preliminary-phytochemical-screening-and-anti-ulcer-activity-of-ltemgtagaricus-bisporusltemgt (Accessed 23 July 2021).
30. Parihar S, Virani KD, Pithawala EA, Shukla MD, Lahiri SK, Jain NK, et al. Phytochemical screening, total phenolic content, antibacterialand antioxidant activity of wild edible mushroom Pleurotus ostreatus. Int Res J Pharm 2015;6(1):65-9. https://doi.org/10.7897/2230-8407.06115
31. Ikon GM, Udobre EA, Etang UE, Ekanemesang UM, Ebana RU, Edet UO. Phytochemical screening, proximate composition and antibacterial activity of oyster mushroom, Pleurotus ostreatus collected from Etim Ekpo in Akwa Ibom State, Nigeria. Asian Food Sci J 2018;6(2):1-10. https://doi.org/10.9734/AFSJ/2019/45956
32. Pipriya S, Tiwari U. Evaluation of antibacterial potential & phytochemical screening by the medicinal plant of Acorus calamus & Agaricus bisporus & their synthesis of herbal silver nanoparticles with different solvents. Int J Eng Res Technol 2019;8(5):158-69.
33. Roy DN, Azad AK, Sultana F, Anisuzzaman ASM, Khondkar P. Nutritional profile and mineral composition of two edible mushroom varieties consumed and cultivated in Bangladesh. J Phytopharm 2015;4(4):217-20. https://doi.org/10.31254/phyto.2015.4405
34. Ashraf Khan A, Gani A, Masoodi FA, Mushtaq U, Silotry Naik A. Structural, rheological, antioxidant, and functional properties of β- glucan extracted from edible mushrooms Agaricus bisporus, Pleurotus ostreatus and Coprinus attrimentarius. Bioact Carbohydrates Diet Fibre 2017;11:67-74. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bcdf.2017.07.006
35. Ramadhani I, Larissa D, Yuliani Y, Amir M, Kusmiati K. Extraction, characterization, and biological toxicity of β-glucans from Saccharomyces cerevisiae isolated from ragi. J Microb Syst Biotechnol 2020;2(2):35-43. https://doi.org/10.37604/jmsb.v2i2.62
36. Yunita EP, Yuniar AM, Kusumastuty I, Maghfirotun A, Handayani D. The effects of ß-glucan extract from oyster mushroom (Pleurotus ostreatus) on expression of serum malondialdehyde in Sprague Dawley rats induced by HFHF diet. J Phys Conf Ser 2020;1665:12035. https://doi.org/10.1088/1742-6596/1665/1/012035
8 Absract views 4 PDF Downloads 12 Total views
Substrate optimization for cultivation of Pleurotus ostreatus on lignocellulosic wastes (coffee, sawdust, and sugarcane bagasse) in Mizan–Tepi University, Tepi Campus, Tepi TownDagnew Bitew Tarko, Abel Mandefro Sirna
Effect of perforation size and substrate bag fruiting position on the morphology of fruiting bodies and clusters in Pleurotus ostreatus (Jacq.) P. KummIryna Bandura, Omoanghe S. Isikhuemhen, Alina Kulik, Marina Serdiuk, Olena Sucharenko, Valentina Jukova, Viktoriia Koliadenko, Nona Gaprindashvili